Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Before a recent game against Seattle, Portland rookie Martell Webster huddled at courtside with All-Star Ray Allen, listening intently for some 20 minutes.

Webster later described the experience as "getting some wisdom."

"The NBA is not all about always getting highs," he said. "You're going to experience low times -- not a great shooting game, losses. But it's how you play through it. I think I've played all right through it."

"I think he has a goal, something he wants to be -- not just an NBA player. He wants to be an All-Star," coach Nate McMillan said. "We have something here. We have a really special player."

Webster said that so far, McMillan's greatest lesson has been defense.

"Having confidence on defense. Knowing that you can stop somebody and that you can guard the premier superstar players in this league," he said. "Him giving me that confidence has really worked. Especially going out there on someone like Ray Allen. He's gonna hit tough shots, but you still have to have to have confidence that you can go out there and guard him."

Webster sought out Allen before a game at the Rose Garden.

"(It was) just about my rookie season and how to establish yourself as a leader," Webster said.

Allen told him not to rush.

"He wants to be better. He wants to be the best," Allen said. "But don't worry about that. Those things will come."

more:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-trailblazers-webster&prov=ap&type=lgns

Reactions: bintim70

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops, someone posted this right before me. MERGE

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.