Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Piker
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There are remnants in spots, but certainly not surrounded. Don't worry, though, if you're coming down. Just bring some salt pork, hardtack and Yankee coffee and the defenders will let you through. They haven't eaten well in quite some time.
Puhleeeese! RVA has Blanchard's coffee. We even have a Meadery.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I lived in New Orleans. My new colleague took me to lunch near Lee Circle, he pointed at the statue and said "You know which way he's facing?" and I said "Defiantly South?" and he said "Nah, North... watching in case you sons of bitches come back."

That's one of my two Robert E. Lee stories. The other one is that Arlington National Cemetery was picked as a location for the national cemetery during the Civil War for the simple reason that it was Robert E. Lee's yard.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I have a buddy who played hoops at FU, he was from Spokane, WA and was getting married in Chapel Hill to a nice Southern girl from the area. My buddy's father was a HS basketball coach and, if I recall correctly, also a history teacher. Due to his love of history he decided to do some day trips on the days leading up to the wedding and he told me that at one point he stopped to admire a statue of Robert E. Lee. During said admiration he muttered the words, "Ah, good ole Bobby Lee". At that point someone that was standing near him questioned what he said, so he replied, "Oh, I said good ole Bobby Lee". The man who questioned him then said, "Sir, you can call him Master Lee, General Lee or Robert E. Lee, but you will be better served not calling him Bobby Lee again."

I was not with him, but I like to believe the story to be true.

·
Piker
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I have a buddy who played hoops at FU, he was from Spokane, WA and was getting married in Chapel Hill to a nice Southern girl from the area. My buddy's father was a HS basketball coach and, if I recall correctly, also a history teacher. Due to his love of history he decided to do some day trips on the days leading up to the wedding and he told me that at one point he stopped to admire a statue of Robert E. Lee. During said admiration he muttered the words, "Ah, good ole Bobby Lee". At that point someone that was standing near him questioned what he said, so he replied, "Oh, I said good ole Bobby Lee". The man who questioned him then said, "Sir, you can call him Master Lee, General Lee or Robert E. Lee, but you will be better served not calling him Bobby Lee again."

Ha! Nothing surprises me. I was producing a short form doc on civil war medicine and I interviewed a national park service historian. After the interview I asked for his full name to be used to identify him in the program. His name is Robert Crick. He said, my fullname is Robert Edward Lee Crick but you can call me Robert E.L. Crick. I just kind of stared at him because I wanted to ask if I could add Lee to the L but I just went with his version.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

Don’t know about your story but I seem to have read that he didn’t like “Bobby” when he was alive.

I also recall a law firm in Richmond that in the late 80s, early 90s had a painting in their conference room titled “Marse Robert on traveller”...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts