Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
The Bonnies were just outmatched tonight.

Osun probably doesn’t change the outcome, but he changes the score.

Schmidt has some good players. He needs a couple more players and some more experience

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Home teams sweep tonight. Its tough to win on the road anywhere but especially in conference play. I dont consider the Davidson or URI wins "upsets". There are only a few legitimate upset candidates in this league. SJU had a 7pt lead on Dayton in the 2nd half at Hawk Hill a cpl weeks ago. You can't pencil in anything.

Bonnies not the same without OO but I doubt it would have mattered. Schmidt's crew hung in there for 14 minutes and the SBU guards were carving UDs guards up. Lofton has a sick handle and abused Cohill once, Mikesell once, and maybe Chatman once. Flyers couldnt hit anything from the outside early but finally got some Js to fall. When UD gets stops and can play transition O, that's when they are most dangerous. When SBU played halfcourt, it was a fairly even game. Unfortunately for the Bonnies, few teams in the country can stop the transition offensive Blitzkrieg of the Flyers when they start pushing the rock. Obi will outrun everybody 94ft and if you anticipate the back-door alley-oop to Obi which everybody knows is option #1, you have back away and leave the paint open while you try to pin Obi away from the rim. That leaves the Flyer guards to just forget about the mini-lob and take it in for the outright layup. Its a Catch-22. Nobody else in CBB can really jump over two defenders, catch, and dunk lobs like Obi can -- often flat-footed.

Flyers head to Richmond next. Tossup game. Spiders will have the best set of guards UD has faced thus far outside Kansas. I think URs are just as good as St. Mary's backcourt. Not having Francis does hurt, but they have the Robins Center and that will be worth 6-10pts. Dayton rarely plays well at Richmond. They got a win or two there in recent times but its been a very tough facility and as far as performances go, when UD does win there its in an ugly, poorly-played game that came down to the wire. I dont think we've ever shot the basketball well there. Last wins there were by about 6pts and 1pt.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Although it would be nice to have a Quad 1 home win, that is very unlikely without Francis.

However, the Spiders are doing their part for the JP A10 Formula for success by offering up a Quad 1 win for all visitors. You're welcome.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
WTF got into my Rams in the 2nd half, 47-17 against a very good team.
I am still not ready to call Duquesne a very good team. Take away the "very" and I might give in.

That said, my sample size is small and they might have taken Fordham lightly. An understandable mistake, but not something very good teams do or if they do they get away with it much more soundly.To go to OT with Fordham in your own "home" is not something a very good team does.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I'm ready to call DUQ a good team. Our Tiers are pretty clear by now:

Dayton (class by themselves)
VCU / URI / RICH (NCAA / NCAA bubble)
SLU / DUQ (NCAA bubble/NIT locks)
BONA / DC (NCAA talent, NIT results)
GMU / LAS (best of the rest)
UMass / GW (capable of punching up)
SJU / Fordham (my condolences)

·
Piker
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am still not ready to call Duquesne a very good team. Take away the "very" and I might give in.

That said, my sample size is small and they might have taken Fordham lightly. An understandable mistake, but not something very good teams do or if they do they get away with it much more soundly.To go to OT with Fordham in your own "home" is not something a very good team does.
So they did not pass the Fordham litmus test?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts