Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I am still not ready to call Duquesne a very good team. Take away the "very" and I might give in.

That said, my sample size is small and they might have taken Fordham lightly. An understandable mistake, but not something very good teams do or if they do they get away with it much more soundly.To go to OT with Fordham in your own "home" is not something a very good team does.
Maceo Austin's sister died a couple of days before the game. The team was very much out of it that week. Last night? A tale of two halves. Rare to see such a total turnaround in a game. Hats off to Rhody! The road is tough for all not named Dayton. Can Dayton now officially declare itself "THE FLAGSHIP"? The position has been open ever since "that school down 75" departed for the enemy.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I am still not ready to call Duquesne a very good team. Take away the "very" and I might give in.

That said, my sample size is small and they might have taken Fordham lightly. An understandable mistake, but not something very good teams do or if they do they get away with it much more soundly.To go to OT with Fordham in your own "home" is not something a very good team does.
I mean besides Dayton this year, all teams in the league are going to stumble and look unimpressive in 2-3 games at least. Doesn't mean the top 5-6 A10 teams aren't very good. Across the country for that matter, there are not a bunch of impeccable teams right now.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Maceo Austin's sister died a couple of days before the game. The team was very much out of it that week. Last night? A tale of two halves. Rare to see such a total turnaround in a game. Hats off to Rhody! The road is tough for all not named Dayton. Can Dayton now officially declare itself "THE FLAGSHIP"? The position has been open ever since "that school down 75" departed for the enemy.
Thanks for the hat tip. I think the only thing that can prevent Dayton from being the "flagship" is coaching turnover, don't follow them all too closely so I'm not sure what the fanbase thinks about Grant's commitment to Dayton for the long term.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I don’t want UD to be referred to as the Flagship. We’re a very humble fan base and are only interested in doing what we can for the betterment of the conference.

RE: Grant staying at UD. He is an alumnus and turned down some inquiries before coming to Dayton. My guess, and it’s only a guess, is that he stays long term unless something extraordinary comes up.

UD’s athletic director is on record saying that UD offered Archie Miller a package that would have put him in the top 10% of HC’s compensation. That being said he is well liked by the boosters, UD can match almost all offers and provide the program with anything he wants, he has great facilities, fan support and demonstrated he can get UD ranked nationally.

UD isn’t going to be a perennial top 10 team especially without Obi, but he can recruit well enough at UD to reasonably expect a top 20 to 25 ranking. It’s a great situation for Grant - I wonder what Archie is thinking right now- that would require him to do something really bad to get fired. Is it as good as North Carolina? No. Or Florida where he grew up? Maybe not

·
Piker
8,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Apparently Davidson didn't pass any litmus test. Have they left the conference?
I was giving Ace a hard time. I can remember VCU losing to Fordham at Rose Hill and still making the NCAA tournament. Oh, and I have been watching Duquesne. Very good guards and lots of length. They are a tough team and they will need to be in the league this year.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
He's thinking he just beat Michigan State.
So is he thinking that beating Michigan State means nothing because I still need to make the Sweet 16 so that only 1/2 of a delusional fan base wants me to be fired?

Or is he thinking that beating Michigan State once is a helluva lot better than having an 8 and 2 record vs. St. Bonaventure?

Perhaps he is thinking that I beat Michigan State but the man who replaced me at Dayton has his team ranked number 7 in the country and I complained about the A10 limiting my ability to recruit.

He might be thinking that I beat Michigan State but Anthony Grant is going to make a shit ton of money with a fraction of the stress that I have.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
He's so happy he doesn't have to go to Olean anymore.

In all seriousness he never seemed like the type to bolt for money or fame. I think he really did think the grass was greener though. But he's got a real tough fan base to please.

I just thought it was a funny coincidence you post that after he makes a SRO assembly hall delirious last night. It won't last long as soon as he lays an egg against NU or something.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
He's so happy he doesn't have to go to Olean anymore.

In all seriousness he never seemed like the type to bolt for money or fame. I think he really did think the grass was greener though. But he's got a real tough fan base to please.

I just thought it was a funny coincidence you post that after he makes a SRO assembly hall delirious last night. It won't last long as soon as he lays an egg against NU or something.
i know, I know. I feel bad (well a little bit anyways) about my comment about Archie’s record against the Bonnies.

I like Archie and despite some of the Faithful thinking that he is scum because he left UD, he deserves respect for what he accomplished at Dayton. I guess I’n old, but in my mind making $3 million to be UD’s HC isn’t a bad gig. A coach at UD would need to do something comparable to impregnating the president’s teenage daughter to get fired.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
i know, I know. I feel bad (well a little bit anyways) about my comment about Archie’s record against the Bonnies.

I like Archie and despite some of the Faithful thinking that he is scum because he left UD, he deserves respect for what he accomplished at Dayton. I guess I’n old, but in my mind making $3 million to be UD’s HC isn’t a bad gig. A coach at UD would need to do something comparable to impregnating the president’s teenage daughter to get fired.
Even if she’s 18 or 19?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts