Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
From the preview on gobonnies.sbu.edu:
EXCELLENT ENGLISH
Bonnies sophomore Jaren English been strong in his first handful of games at the Atlantic 10 level. The Michigan native has averaged a Bonnies' best 14.8 ppg in Atlantic 10 play, matching his Division I-best scoring output with 17 points Jan. 22 at No. 7/7 Dayton. He has shot 52% from the floor in A-10 action.

Oh, the irony!

That said, overall very good writeup. Much better than what you find on fordhamsports.com, that is for sure.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Have you your coffee yet? ?

Our SID makes tons of mistakes and people on our board rip them for it. I tend to not give a rat's ass, but just found this one funny do to the "Excellent English" part.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Have you your coffee yet? ?

Our SID makes tons of mistakes and people on our board rip them for it. I tend to not give a rat's ass, but just found this one funny do to the "Excellent English" part.
due to?

/jk. I didn't think it was all that bad. Must be the general decline in journalism and communication is lowering my expectations.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
It is really silly, but jumped out to me for some reason.

"Bonnies sophomore Jaren English been strong in his first handful of games at the Atlantic 10 level." Missing a "has", I think, just like my question to you about your coffee intentionally was missing a "had".

I am done here though because anytime one comments on grammar or spelling, one tends to make a mistake of some sort. I think that's an old Chinese proverb.

I am hoping for a good game!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Totally missed it. I seriously read that about 4x and never caught it. They have studies on people reading pieces that are incorrectly worded, have poor grammar or spelling, and they substitute or insert the corrections in their own minds. I believe those people been considered more intelligent.

ETA:
just like my question to you about your coffee intentionally was missing a "had".
FFS. I didn't even notice that either. I wonder what else gets by me.

·
Piker
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some interesting games tonight. I feel like some home courts might be a little hairy for some favorites tonight.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

"Bonnies sophomore Jaren English been strong in his first handful of games at the Atlantic 10 level." Missing a "has", I think, just like my question to you about your coffee intentionally was missing a "had".

I am done here though because anytime one comments on grammar or spelling, one tends to make a mistake of some sort. I think that's an old Chinese proverb.

So they weren't both written by Kabosu the Doge?

·
Piker
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Chinese proverb you say.....A man who cannot tolerate small misfortunes can never accomplish great things.

Speaking of had. Sometimes people use it before words. For instance, had wanted. I think you should stick to wanted and leave the had out. I applaud the Bona writer for not being had by had.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Chinese proverb you say.....A man who cannot tolerate small misfortunes can never accomplish great things.

Speaking of had. Sometimes people use it before words. For instance, had wanted. I think you should stick to wanted and leave the had out. I applaud the Bona writer for not being had by had.
I had to look this up. Turns out past perfect tense is a dying breed, and generally only acceptable when a sequence of events is unclear. "I had wanted to be an English professor" conveys that at some point in the past I wanted to be an English professor, but simply saying "I wanted to be an English professor" is acceptable as well and the listener fills in the blanks. Because/Since I had to look that up via Google, clearly I was never English professor material to begin with.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts