Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
-1.5 for the Dukes is interesting. Narrow edge to the Dukes based on home court aligns with how close they are in KP and Net. ESPN BPI (40+) and Sagarin (30+) gaps favor the Rams pretty significantly. A good test for how legit the Dukes are going to be in this A10.

Not sure what to expect from the Bonnies, and I am surprised to see it even. GMU is a good deal higher in all metrics. Saturday was a fun win. The ball movement was better than its been all year, creating better looks, and some guys actually took it to the rack with success. 2 guys combining for 10 3's is always eyebrow raising though as far as sustainability. Hopefully the crisp offense carries into a trend.

· Piker
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
-1.5 for the Dukes is interesting. Narrow edge to the Dukes based on home court aligns with how close they are in KP and Net. ESPN BPI (40+) and Sagarin (30+) gaps favor the Rams pretty significantly. A good test for how legit the Dukes are going to be in this A10.
I have watched all of the teams in the A10 play OOC games and I am not surprised. VCU has not won a game on the road and they have struggled at home. Duquesne actually has the #1 rated offense in the A10 and they are physical. I am not feeling like VCU is going to escape with a win. It would surprise me if they did. The thing that sucks this year for me is that I do not even check the NET rankings or get fired up for games at this point in the season. Unless VCU almost runs the table (not really possible) they are out of any at-large talk. It is really all about Brooklyn. I do hope for wins but this VCU team is disjointed on offense and they tend to lapse on D.

Reactions: JonBoy

· Registered
1,512 Posts
VCU is 1-3 away from home and 0-2 in true road games. The O has looked a little better, but the slow starts (line changes too early?) put us in holes to climb out of throughout the game. Gonna be a tough one in Pittsburgh.

· Piker
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VCU is 1-3 away from home and 0-2 in true road games. The O has looked a little better, but the slow starts (line changes too early?) put us in holes to climb out of throughout the game. Gonna be a tough one in Pittsburgh.
I just feel like the VCU offense is going to be more of the same. Dependent on decent shooting and drawing fouls. I looked it up the other day and Rhoades has never coached D-I offense that had an offensive rating below 100. Most of his offenses are in the 200s. I think JD Byers has been in charge of the offense under Rhoades at Rice and at VCU. It is dreadful to watch. I used to hope it would get better but they never change things up. Einstein once said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Reactions: JonBoy

· Registered
3,754 Posts
.. 2 guys combining for 10 3's is always eyebrow raising though as far as sustainability. ..
Shooting well fixes everything. Can we create offense if everything is clanking off the rim? Based on UMass game I'd say no. Other than the occasional fast break or putback how many offensive sets successfully went through the paint? In college ball any team can beat another if they are drilling jump shots. I know I'm preaching to the choir (here - not on the BBW). As you are alluding to, we need a sustainable offense.

· Registered
1,512 Posts
I just feel like the VCU offense is going to be more of the same. Dependent on decent shooting and drawing fouls. I looked it up the other day and Rhoades has never coached D-I offense that had an offensive rating below 100. Most of his offenses are in the 200s. I think JD Byers has been in charge of the offense under Rhoades at Rice and at VCU. It is dreadful to watch. I used to hope it would get better but they never change things up. Einstein once said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
I agree, just pointing out it has looked a little better. But I guess playing bad teams will do that.

Will Rhoades be forced to let Byers go? Or changes his role? Something’s got to give, or at least I hope it does.

· Piker
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, just pointing out it has looked a little better. But I guess playing bad teams will do that.

Will Rhoades be forced to let Byers go? Or changes his role? Something’s got to give, or at least I hope it does.
Not sure I feel like it has been better. They struggled most of the game against La Salle and had to come from behind against Navy. If DeLoach and Johns are active for a full 40 minutes that helps.

· Registered
66 Posts
Shooting well fixes everything. Can we create offense if everything is clanking off the rim? Based on UMass game I'd say no. Other than the occasional fast break or putback how many offensive sets successfully went through the paint? In college ball any team can beat another if they are drilling jump shots. I know I'm preaching to the choir (here - not on the BBW). As you are alluding to, we need a sustainable offense.
Agreed on all, but two things stick out that the offense Saturday does deserve some credit for. The first being, a lot of the shots that fell were created off actual sets and ball movement that provided open looks, instead of desperate heaves after dribbling around the perimeter. That's an improvement over the several previous games.

The second thing is the answer to your question re: through the paint sets- a couple, and a couple more unsuccessfully. Nothing at all impressive in its own rite, but water in a desert is still water. Merely attempting it a few times is a marginal improvement over the 4 prior games. Honestly I found the unsuccessful attempts more glaring- even if we do start figuring out how to consistently move toward the rim, we've got a ways to go on being able to execute.

· Registered
66 Posts
I have watched all of the teams in the A10 play OOC games and I am not surprised. VCU has not won a game on the road and they have struggled at home. Duquesne actually has the #1 rated offense in the A10 and they are physical. I am not feeling like VCU is going to escape with a win. It would surprise me if they did. The thing that sucks this year for me is that I do not even check the NET rankings or get fired up for games at this point in the season. Unless VCU almost runs the table (not really possible) they are out of any at-large talk. It is really all about Brooklyn. I do hope for wins but this VCU team is disjointed on offense and they tend to lapse on D.
Fair enough. I havent seen the last several VCU games but box score lurking suggests they're hitting a more consistent stride, but you're obviously closer to it than I am.

· Piker
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fair enough. I havent seen the last several VCU games but box score lurking suggests they're hitting a more consistent stride, but you're obviously closer to it than I am.
They are playing better but it is due to players stepping up game in and game out. Ace is always tough as nails but he needs more help from guys on the offensive end.

· Registered
3,754 Posts
Agreed on all, but two things stick out that the offense Saturday does deserve some credit for. The first being, a lot of the shots that fell were created off actual sets and ball movement that provided open looks, instead of desperate heaves after dribbling around the perimeter. That's an improvement over the several previous games.
I would agree with this, for sure. Iso-ball all but disappeared and good riddance. I still wish we'd see two things .. (1) a successful inside out game with Chad, and he needs to convert offensively, and/or (2) a man that recognizes the inevitable weak spot on those plays and on drives who cuts towards the rim for a dump off. Even if it's just to get hacked and go to the line (although FTs need improvement). I thought Barry was that guy but he seems to have vanished.

· Registered
1,769 Posts
DAY 76 SJU 56. Hawks are dangerous when hitting 3s but didnt make enough of them and UD shot well while also defending pretty well. SJU hurt UD on offensive glass. I gotta think Lange is done after this year.

Looks like every home team is going to win tonight. Tough to win on the road.

· Registered
66 Posts
That was a very frustrating, yet exciting game. It had that conference game intensity. I’ll take it and run. GMU hit some huge shots when they seemed to be on the brink of being KO’d.
Bottle the 15 mins between 4:00 remaining in the first and 9:00 remaining in the second, and figure out how to do that on offense consistently.

Active d, intensity, effort, and stones down the stretch all positives. Saturday will be interesting in that I can see it going several ways.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts