Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Piker
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nobody posted. Ha!

I kept hearing from other VCU fans how this is a better offensive team yet in the Manhattan game they went 10 minutes without scoring. Oh, it happened again last night. I am tired of watching offensively inept teams. It hurts my eyes and my heart. I just feel like the recent VCU teams show poor decision making and the unnecessary technical fouls are really bothering me. OK, I am in a bad mood. I will stop.

Reactions: JonBoy

· Piker
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Speaking of what I've been hearing on VCU, all I've heard this offseason is this is the deepest team Rhoades has ever had. One injury (albeit to our best player) and they fold like origami. There is no direction on the court. The freestyle play may be attractive to recruits, but no one knows what the hell to do out there. Four fgs in the 2nd half? Give me a break.
I was sad to hear Ace has a fractured right wrist because he holds the team together. Sounds like he wanted to continue to play with it but the staff did not. Personally, I bummed this morning. Ace is a VCU's alpha dog. A competitor. A player/coach on the floor. As a freshman he got the team to a NCAA bid. Last year the team was without Ace early and flopped in the OOC.. He is the real deal. Just so you know....I hate injury excuses because they happen and life goes on for the team.

If you look at the recent history VCU has been reliant on one player. Evans get hurt they fold. Bones got hurt for a couple games in his soph season. They fold. Ace got hurt last year and they folded. It seems like the system to me.

OK, That being said, there is no excuse for the collapse last night and now it is looking like VCU is gonna play at Memphis and at Temple without Ace. The OOC had a razor the line of wins needed and now the important ones are without Ace. I hope the team steps up big time. This morning though I am not feeling good. Luckily it is only me a fan and the team has a chance to do great thing still. I hope Ace gets well soon.

· Piker
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh and I rarely get on the fire the coach bandwagon. I did for Polio and McCarthy way back because they were awful. I like Coach Rhoades and it is beyond my pay grade to evaluate his contract. I do not think Ed would fire him even if they don't make the tournament again. There comes a time though when that decision needs to be made. Personally, I think an offensive minded assistant needs to be hired. The lack of creativity in the halfcourt offensive sets is painful to watch. Something needs to change because year after year it seems to be a ball dominant guard that we live or die by.

Reactions: JonBoy

· Piker
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can our league ever have a year that doesn’t include major players (on contending teams) suffering OOC injuries? It’s unbelievable.
It is awful. The last four years for VCU has been terrible when it comes to injuries for top players. Seems like every team has the problem too. Ugh

· Piker
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, for what it's worth, they beat the Bonnies in January 2020 by about 75 points without Evans. I do also recall them taking down St Louis in 2021 without Bones, a win that was no doubt a difference maker in why VCU was bid a 10 seed and SLU was bid a dreaded first 4 out. Understand the frustration, though. Anemic offense and swarming d is the equivalent of a ground and pound football team. You may never get blown out, but you leave the door open to 'bad losses'.

Bill, the answer is yes! We had it in 2020. It just got made up for by a pandemic that cancelled the tournament, and the league's first 1 or 2 seed in close to a couple of decades.
Great point and so true. Last night was not about Ace because he was not there. Heck, after the collapse it was still tied at 59 with VCU on a break. Nunn should have completed a bounce pass to Jackson who was wide open on the wing for an easy lay up. Nunn decided to take it himself and was called for a charge. The game was winnable but VCU just fell apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts