Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,394 Posts
You can color me officially concerned with this team. The energy is low. Settling for jumpers, not closing out on perimeter defense, and poor interior defensive rotation. That’s effort stuff. I had heard there was a non-COVID bug going through the team recently, but this has not been pretty lately.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,394 Posts
Some of the defensive basics that can make us look really good have been lacking since returning from Charleston. Dom, in particular, has been getting lost off the ball. Osun is still a little lethargic on the help side. I'm wondering how much his back is still bothering him.

Adaway is... sort of our best player right now. Holmes is doing yeoman's work filling in at PG, too.

·
Piker
11,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Reactions: JonBoy

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
You aren’t going to find many more open perimeter shots than when you watch Bona’s opponents play. It isn’t bad luck or a friendly shooting arena. It’s shitty fucking defense.
I've said that for 14 years and basically had my head bashed in for saying so. When one team does it, it's an anomaly. When it happens all the fucking time, look yourselves in the mirror.

I'm sick of the playing to the level of your competition. These are D1 opponents and you leave them open they hit shots. It was only the grace of cold shooting that this didn't go down to the wire tonight.

With all that over-help collapse defense that leaves wide open 3s you'd think we wouldn't lose cutter for back door layups but we do that too. Play that defense that you proclaim is so important. And winning Charleston was nice but doesn't mean shit in the end. You still have to bring it and respect your opponents. Otherwise you get you teeth kicked in.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Tall order for UD tonight at SMU. The line was SMU -4.0 and UD had it to one possession with under a minute left. Didnt shoot well from trey and some miscellaneous problems but team played hard. SMU looked quite good in my opinion and would have beaten a number of teams tonight. Holmes and Smith continue to lead the frosh charge.

Defensively we struggled with their guards and lack of physicality crept in. Need to rebound and beat Va Tech at home this weekend.

·
Piker
11,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VCU gets the win as Ace returns and gets 13 points in 20 minutes.

Not sure what’s up with Hason Ward, but he didn’t play tonight after leaving early last game.
Freshman Jayden Nunn scored 20 for the second time this year. Last night his shot chart looked great. He took 3s, he set himself up for easy mid-range jumpers and he attacked the glass. He looked comfortable off the ball playing with Ace. The team was missing two players but they played with more confidence. Ace gave them that confidence and the offense looked much better. Baldwin is such a damn good point guard. I missed him. He's back now!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Freshman Jayden Nunn scored 20 for the second time this year. Last night his shot chart looked great. He took 3s, he set himself up for easy mid-range jumpers and he attacked the glass. He looked comfortable off the ball playing with Ace. The team was missing two players but they played with more confidence. Ace gave them that confidence and the offense looked much better. Baldwin is such a damn good point guard. I missed him. He's back now!
Also, as a team, VCU shot 82% from the line, which might be their best of the season. And limited themselves to 13 turnovers, 6 coming from Vince. He had what was probably his worst game of the season. Assuming he shakes it off and comes back to form and hopefully Ward coming back soon, Ace can spark this offense to kick it up a notch.

According to Torvik, the Rams have the #1 adjusted defense in the country but offense is 325. Just imagine this group with average offensive efficiency. T-Rank - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank

·
Piker
11,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Also, as a team, VCU shot 82% from the line, which might be their best of the season. And limited themselves to 13 turnovers, 6 coming from Vince. He had what was probably his worst game of the season. Assuming he shakes it off and comes back to form and hopefully Ward coming back soon, Ace can spark this offense to kick it up a notch.

According to Torvik, the Rams have the #1 adjusted defense in the country but offense is 325. Just imagine this group with average offensive efficiency. T-Rank - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank
They played tough D in the 2nd half holding Jax St to 22 points. VCU players were all over the 3 point line last night denying shots from a team that loves to shoot lots of them. Yeah, Vince still did things to help like rebounding and defending but his shot has been off. If anyone can shake off a bad game it is Vince. Ha! He will keep shooting. He shot 8 times and probably 6 of his 3s attempted were good looks. He just could not hit the ocean last night. Ace will get him good looks and when Ward comes back he will benefit from having Ace out there. Oh and Ace helped that free throw shooting. They have been shooting 61%. Ace was 6-6 last night and as a team they shot 83%.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
One of The Faithful posted on the Dayton Rivals board that last night‘s game at SMU was the first true road OOC the Flyers played since the game at Auburn on 12/8/2018.

I hope Paul’s head doesn’t explode

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
One of The Faithful posted on the Dayton Rivals board that last night‘s game at SMU was the first true road OOC the Flyers played since the game at Auburn on 12/8/2018.

I hope Paul’s head doesn’t explode
I believe this to be correct …. Grant is 0 for 3 in true OOC road games at UD. Now this was against ranked Auburn and Miss State teams and a good St. Mary’s team. He is 9 and 7 on neutral courts (6 and 6 vs P5 including the ranked Auburn and MSU teams plus at the time #2 Kansas, #2 Virginia and #4 Kansas) with last year’s Holiday tournament being a COVID casualty

FIRE GRANT

·
Piker
11,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a story to tell…Last night VCU had a female referee. She was blonde with a ponytail and she was sexy. Anyway, in the second half a ref made what I deemed a bad call so I yelled, let the HOT REF make the calls! A lady in front of me turned around and said there is no need to objectify her. She is doing her job. I said, I am sorry. You are hot too. The lady smiled and said, thank you.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I have a story to tell…Last night VCU had a female referee. She was blonde with a ponytail and she was sexy. Anyway, in the second half a ref made what I deemed a bad call so I yelled, let the HOT REF make the calls! A lady in front of me turned around and said there is no need to objectify her. She is doing her job. I said, I am sorry. You are hot too. The lady smiled and said, thank you.
It sounds like like the same ref that UD had a couple of games ago. I thought she was good. No theatrics. She just made the call

·
Registered
626 Posts
VCU ref last night was Clare Aubrey. The Dayton one against Alabama State was Jenna Reneau. Reneau also reffed the Richmond-Hofstra game a couple of weeks ago. The RTD had an article on it that didn't come across real well (you mean ladies can ref too?!).

There's also Amy Bonner who became the first woman to ref a game involving an A-10 team last season. She's on the circuit again this year, out there almost every night.

All three are G-League refs who have started doing NCAA games as well. Similar to JAF's experience, Reneau and the other refs alongside her did a great job in the UR game. They seemed almost invisible in a good way.

There's a good database for tracking ref assignments and stats here:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.