Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The unfortunate thing is you work years to get a senior heavy team like this. So far it looks like a total failure and maybe the most overrated VCU team since I have been following in the late 70s.

The drive home always makes games like the worse for me because of our homer radio guys and coach speak. Rodney Ashby a former player actually said he did not think effort was the issue. That is insane. Then the other announcer I refuse to name because he always gets on my last nerve said, It's not like we lost to Towson. Huh?! I needed to turn on some music at that point.
I always struggle assessing effort. When a dude is playing slower than normal, is that effort or do they simply not have that extra gear that night. I tend to think it's the latter.

As for losing to Towson, you sort of did. They are just ahead of Mason in the NET rankings. I think I would have turned to music at that point too.

Did you at least have a bourbon or some other elixir when you got home?

BTW, as much as I joked before, losses when you are good are much more painful than when you suck.I have some vague memories of what it's like to be good.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I agree completely. I haven't been following as long as you, but I can't remember a team coming into a season with expectations this high and then under-performing like this. And the homerism kills me. Sometimes it's bad and it's ok to say it's bad.

This bothers me for some reason. That's all Rhoades had to say? Why are we out-hustled in a game we couldn't afford to lose? Bad shooting nights happen, lapses on D happen, but there should never be an off night for hustle or playing with energy.

·
Piker
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I always struggle assessing effort. When a dude is playing slower than normal, is that effort or do they simply not have that extra gear that night. I tend to think it's the latter.

As for losing to Towson, you sort of did. They are just ahead of Mason in the NET rankings. I think I would have turned to music at that point too.

Did you at least have a bourbon or some other elixir when you got home?

BTW, as much as I joked before, losses when you are good are much more painful than when you suck.I have some vague memories of what it's like to be good.
Nah, I went to bed and cried in my pillow. Not really, I watched that movie Ma on HBO which was really weird and not very good. Kind of a bad night.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Ugh, probably a season-ending loss last night. I don't even know what to say, such a frustrating season given the roster and how we finished last year. Jenkins and Vann have finally started playing better, but Evans and Simms......like a few have said, why isn't Bones playing more? Loyalty to seniors is dumb if the seniors aren't helping.
Sorry, JonBoy, but I'm afraid the league will insist on you playing it out. They'll make you show up in Brooklyn, too.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

This bothers me for some reason. That's all Rhoades had to say? Why are we out-hustled in a game we couldn't afford to lose? Bad shooting nights happen, lapses on D happen, but there should never be an off night for hustle or playing with energy.
I don't know, I'm not sure it does any good to bang on them in the locker room after a game. Everybody's tired and down at that point. Plenty of chance to do it at the next couple of practices when it might have better effect.

·
Piker
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I don't know, I'm not sure it does any good to bang on them in the locker room after a game. Everybody's tired and down at that point. Plenty of chance to do it at the next couple of practices when it might have better effect.
There is a problem with team chemistry. Right now it looks like someone dropped a Mentos into a 2 liter coca-cola bottle.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
That's how John Chaney did it. He yelled and screamed after wins, and said "See ya at practice" after losses. I'm guessing there was a lot of screaming and yelling at practice.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
That's how John Chaney did it. He yelled and screamed after wins, and said "See ya at practice" after losses. I'm guessing there was a lot of screaming and yelling at practice.
Counterpoint, that is also how Tom Pecora did it.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Well, I'd encourage all our coaches to be more like John Chaney and less like Tom Pecora (especially if John Calipari is in the room).

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Jokes aside, I think it is the right way to do things. Sleep on it basically.

I came to find out that Tom Pecora did it that way b/c back then I used to run the Fordham message board and let's just say that the vitriol would be at all time highs after losses and some of this got back to Pecora. He called me once, told me how he worked things and how he would not address his team until the next day. I basically told him that I thought that it was a great idea, but that I had little to no control over what other posters did. I did tell him that my wife and kids would appreciate the new approach though.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I had a women's coach who was crazy intense competitor, and after losses was just not a fun person to be around (Think a female Danny Hurley). One spring, I told her about the Chaney method, and I could see it sink in on her face.

The next season, first game of the year, I was waiting to get the player of the game from the team room to go do media. And after about five minutes of waiting outside the door, I realized NO ONE WAS IN THERE. She decided not to meet with the team after home games at all! So I had to grab people at the end of the handshake line or I'd just miss them and wouldn't be able to get them back.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts