Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a great weekend for AE attendence -- the best of the season, by my count. Collectively, the five games scheduled drew 12,032 fans.

Here's the breakdown:

Vermont (v. UNH) 3,288*
N'eastern (v. BU) 2,805
Maine (v. UMBC) 2,105
Bing (v. SBU) 2,090
Hartford (v. Alb) 1,804

TO PUT THE NUMBERS IN PERSPECTIVE: Vermont's draw was easily the highest for a league contest this season, as no other team has drawn close to 3,000 for a league contest. However, it was only the second largest crowd this season overall, as Stony Brook drew 3,765 for its game against St. John's. UMBC is the only other team to have drawn more than 3,000 for a game this season, having drawn 3,106 against Princeton for the league's third largest crowd of the season.
All of these records may get bumped down a notch, however, with Bing opening its new Events Center next weekend against Hartford. Expectations at Bing are that a sell-out crowd will be on hand to mark the inauguration of the new facility, which would mean about 4,800 on hand, easily making it the league's largest crowd of the season.

TRENDING UP: It's also worth noting that the league's total weekend attendence has increased by close to 3,000 in each of the past two weekends, presumably as students have returned to campus. Again, here's the breakdown, with the teams hosting games listed in parens.

Jan 10-11 6,549 (avg. per gm: 1,310)
(Maine, UMBC, SBU, NU, BU)

Jan 17-18 9,352 (avg. per gm: 1,870)
(UMBC, Bing, Hart, Maine, BU)

Jan 24-25 12,032 (avg. per gm: 2,406)
(UVM, NU, Maine, Bing, Hart)

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Urban Barrister</b>!
It was a great weekend for AE attendence -- the best of the season, by my count. Collectively, the five games scheduled drew 12,032 fans.

Here's the breakdown:

Vermont (v. UNH) 3,288*
N'eastern (v. BU) 2,805
Maine (v. UMBC) 2,105
Bing (v. SBU) 2,090
Hartford (v. Alb) 1,804

TO PUT THE NUMBERS IN PERSPECTIVE: Vermont's draw was easily the highest for a league contest this season, as no other team has drawn close to 3,000 for a league contest. However, it was only the second largest crowd this season overall, as Stony Brook drew 3,765 for its game against St. John's. UMBC is the only other team to have drawn more than 3,000 for a game this season, having drawn 3,106 against Princeton for the league's third largest crowd of the season.
All of these records may get bumped down a notch, however, with Bing opening its new Events Center next weekend against Hartford. Expectations at Bing are that a sell-out crowd will be on hand to mark the inauguration of the new facility, which would mean about 4,800 on hand, easily making it the league's largest crowd of the season.

TRENDING UP: It's also worth noting that the league's total weekend attendence has increased by close to 3,000 in each of the past two weekends, presumably as students have returned to campus. Again, here's the breakdown, with the teams hosting games listed in parens.

Jan 10-11 6,549 (avg. per gm: 1,310)
(Maine, UMBC, SBU, NU, BU)

Jan 17-18 9,352 (avg. per gm: 1,870)
(UMBC, Bing, Hart, Maine, BU)

Jan 24-25 12,032 (avg. per gm: 2,406)
(UVM, NU, Maine, Bing, Hart)

1st off thanx for consistantly posting the attendance figures as these are interesting posts.

2nd though I'm thrilled for BingU and for the AE that this new facility will be great...I'm not thrilled that Hartford is the 1st guinea pig.

3rd....I'm really looking forward to BingU most likely getting the conference tourney there next year(or at least in the next few years) as it should be a great time. The only drawback for them will be if the other schools don't deem them to be a top contender in the specific year in question as they usually want the tourney to be held at a school that will be favored to be playing both saturday and sunday...for obvious attendance reasons.That being said I can't imagine they have been too thrilled with the attendance figures the last 2 years(aside from the BU/NU game last year which was pretty crowded). But what do I know.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
lsbal....You know more than most of us on here

We should not underestimate how much support the entire city of Binghamton would throw behind this tourney. A small/mid-size city is much more likely to make the America East tourney a priority rather than an insignificant event like it is in Boston right now. Bing U's new facility looks first rate.....the AE Tourney should go to the Bearcats.....period.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hear, hear, MJeff,

I'm all for putting the conference tournament in a place that "wants" it. I don't mind Boston at all, because it's just so dang convenient. But, if tournament atmosphere is a contibuting factor, then I see no reason not to send it someplace like Binghamton.

It sounds, however, like there's quite a bit of work left on the facility. Will it be completely finished by next year. Forgive me if I missed the completion date in the articles. That, to me, would be the only thing keeping AE from giving it to Bing next year.

I'll happily go to Bing for the AE tourney. It was great in Delaware and, if they host anything like Delaware did, I'm all for it. It was always fun to get down to Delaware, pick up the local papers with special sections on the tournament. And then see other tournament visitors all throughout the weekend.

For obvious reasons, that doesn't happen in Boston.

I'm a little envious that the tourney will end up in Binghamton while Maine (and Portland) will have let an excellent opportunity slip by. But then again, Portland fancies itself as a mini-Boston and rarely has time for UMaine (hockey notwithstanding, of course) interests, so something like a Division 1 conference basketball tournament would be viewed as beneath them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The facility is supposed to be completed by the start of the 2004-2005 season in Nov. 2004. That would include all the end zone seating, all the offices, amenities, etc. etc. There would be no problem hosting the tourney. The Binghamton area supports such things exceptionally well. Last summer there was a national HS lacrosse tourney here at Bing U - I think in excess of 3000 people here - because of a drenching rain the fields at Bing Univ quickly became quagmires - 2 of the local high schools with field turf immediately stepped up and made their facilities available. Several participants from across the country spoke highly of the whole thing and said they would come back in the future. The same goes for a HS "Stop DWI" basketball tournament in late Dec., the Empire State games, etc. etc. I think the America East tourney would have exceptional support from the community, and those who made the journey would have a great time and find the local hospitality special.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts