Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
We need a mid-major/low-major catch all forum. Even then I don’t think there are enough active users combined. The Atlantic10 board is pretty quiet these days. Caazone is gone.
I wonder what happened to CAAzone.....I remember years ago thinking that was a very active site.

I remember years ago a group of us were on a message board off a rivals site....then for some reason which I can't remember we had to move. So Go Cats Go created an AE message board on VOY. We were there for a while and I think we emailed the SID's at a few schools in order to get more schools represented on the site and I think it brought in a few people.

If I remember correctly when the message board was on rivals most of the posters were from Delaware and some from Hofstra and no one really from Drexel or Towson. When I used to go to the single site tourneys at the Bob in Delaware we would meet up at a pub and mostly Delaware and Hofstra people would meet up with us.

I hope we do get some NJIT posters on here as it would be great getting their insight and perspective.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
We need a mid-major/low-major catch all forum. Even then I don’t think there are enough active users combined. The Atlantic10 board is pretty quiet these days. Caazone is gone.

The Atlantic 10 Board is near dead these days because it became dominated by a group of mass posting idiots that liked to engage in personal attack battles. Nearly all the good posters were driven away.

Several A-10 teams however still have very active boards of their own. Those for VCU, Dayton, and URI see a lot of traffic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!

For starters - there aren't many of us. I'm an NJIT alum, but as you can tell from my "name", I'm more of a Rutgers fan. There's some chatter every now and then on Reddit, but it seems to be mostly students.

With that said, hopefully this move to the America East helps in terms of building a fanbase.

Far from an expert, but I think NJIT men's basketball can compete for America East Championships from the onset. Their best player is a 5'9 guard that is fun to watch. I took my nephew to two games this season and he really admired Zach Cooks.

The new facility is also very nice and you can usually park right outside. I believe this year will be year 3 or 4 for them in that facility. They've come a long way from the old gym and as a whole since I was on campus in the 90's and the thought of being a Division I athletic program was laughable.

If anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. Again, far from an expert by any means, but I watched them play a bunch the last few seasons so can offer my two cents. Wish I knew more about other sports, but not that big of a help besides men's hoops unfortunately.

Another way to learn a little about the program, is following their @NJITHoops twitter. They do a pretty good job for a low/mid-major. Sometimes I actually see things they do and wish Rutgers would get on it.

That's it for now - I'll do my best to remember to check this thread every now and then and offer some opinion.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!

For starters - there aren't many of us. I'm an NJIT alum, but as you can tell from my "name", I'm more of a Rutgers fan. There's some chatter every now and then on Reddit, but it seems to be mostly students.

With that said, hopefully this move to the America East helps in terms of building a fanbase.

Far from an expert, but I think NJIT men's basketball can compete for America East Championships from the onset. Their best player is a 5'9 guard that is fun to watch. I took my nephew to two games this season and he really admired Zach Cooks.

The new facility is also very nice and you can usually park right outside. I believe this year will be year 3 or 4 for them in that facility. They've come a long way from the old gym and as a whole since I was on campus in the 90's and the thought of being a Division I athletic program was laughable.

If anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. Again, far from an expert by any means, but I watched them play a bunch the last few seasons so can offer my two cents. Wish I knew more about other sports, but not that big of a help besides men's hoops unfortunately.

Another way to learn a little about the program, is following their @NJITHoops twitter. They do a pretty good job for a low/mid-major. Sometimes I actually see things they do and wish Rutgers would get on it.

That's it for now - I'll do my best to remember to check this thread every now and then and offer some opinion.
They exist! Huzzah!

What aspect of the team makes you say they will compete for the championship? Do they have really solid defense? Is the 3pt shooting good? What about ball movement? I know nothing about NJIT basketball or the players.

·
The People's Champ
707 Posts
welcome ScarlettBlack! the overall AE fanbase is growing and that's all around a great thing for the league.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I see NJIT has a transfer from Austin Peay transferring in. Antwuan Butler 6’0 195 Guard. Averaged 6.4 ppg as a sophomore.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wonder what happened to CAAzone.....I remember years ago thinking that was a very active site.

I remember years ago a group of us were on a message board off a rivals site....then for some reason which I can't remember we had to move. So Go Cats Go created an AE message board on VOY. We were there for a while and I think we emailed the SID's at a few schools in order to get more schools represented on the site and I think it brought in a few people.

If I remember correctly when the message board was on rivals most of the posters were from Delaware and some from Hofstra and no one really from Drexel or Towson. When I used to go to the single site tourneys at the Bob in Delaware we would meet up at a pub and mostly Delaware and Hofstra people would meet up with us.

I hope we do get some NJIT posters on here as it would be great getting their insight and perspective.
The CAA now posts on this board

Actually about half of the old CAAzone posts here ...

Hofstra, Delaware, Towson, Elon and Charleston have their own boards and post there.

NU has a private board too, but I post on both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They exist! Huzzah!

What aspect of the team makes you say they will compete for the championship? Do they have really solid defense? Is the 3pt shooting good? What about ball movement? I know nothing about NJIT basketball or the players.
That was less of a "they will compete for a Championship" and more of a "if things fall into place, they can compete for a championship." I just didn't want people to think they'd finish at the bottom of the league for the next few seasons.

I did a deeper dive this weekend and found out that Cooks has actually declared for the Draft, while maintaining his eligibility. Not sure any NBA teams need a sub 6-0 guard, so I'd assume he's back.

You can get to know him a bit more with this video, which was released last week:

Again, he's a fun player to watch. He would've been Preseason All-ASUN and in the running for POY.

NJIT's other senior is also a Georgia native (wonder if they are upset about the conference move?), who can fly. And the other returner who played a lot of minutes last season is their big man, who is from Africa.

After that it will come down to some of last season's role players taking another step and the 4-5 newcomers they bring in. They haven't officially announced the Austin Peay transfer it seems, but a quick twitter search confirms it's happening.

Wish I knew more about the newcomers, but unfortunately I don't. Got to figure that the plan is for the two junior college guys to help immediately....

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!

You're going to fit right in! ;)

Welcome!

·
Premium Member
33,141 Posts
Always figured NJIT was going to land in AE eventually.

Have seen Levar Williams play in HS. Thought Jim Engles did a nice job there in early days. That's kinda all I got on NJIT. Welcome! Looking forward to 2-3 wins a season and hopefully coaching staff can get in some recruiting when in Newark.

·
The People's Champ
707 Posts
I see NJIT in the 9-10 wins a season in total, maybe 5-6 wins in conf play. they had about 8 games last year where they lost by 8 points or less. Lost to Liberty in the quarterfinals by 6. Liberty was the top ranked team in conf play last year. A team that went 30-4 and had 8 top 25 votes in the final coaches poll. 8 more than UVM

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
"UVM Hoop Cat
Premium Member

Joined Feb 28, 2005
33,138 Posts
#33 1 d ago

Have seen Levar Williams play in HS. Thought Jim Engles did a nice job there in early days. That's kinda all I got on NJIT. Welcome! Looking forward to 2-3 wins a season and hopefully coaching staff can get in some recruiting when in Newark. "

Please excuse the Vermont fans and their arrogance it's the biggest problem with this board and why a lot of people don't come on to post.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Please excuse the Vermont fans and their arrogance it's the biggest problem with this board and why a lot of people don't come on to post.
I guess I don't understand how the post you quoted was arrogant...there's opinion that NJIT will be a middle of the pack team. Who knows how they will go, but I don't think suggesting they could be a mid-pack team should be considered a slight. There's a comparison of how NJIT did against the team that won the conference and had more top 25 votes than UVM. Seems like a backhanded compliment to Liberty if you ask me.

Fan's arrogance is a direct result of um...winning

Vermont has had a good run lately. It's no different when SBU or Albany or UMBC has success. There are a lot of Vermont fans on this forum (probably also a function of um...winning) so I'm sure it feels overwhelming. Sorry, not sorry.

Perhaps someday, UNH will get to experience it...perhaps not...either way, winning and losing and bragging and complaining...all part of the game, no?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I guess I don't understand how the post you quoted was arrogant...there's opinion that NJIT will be a middle of the pack team. Who knows how they will go, but I don't think suggesting they could be a mid-pack team should be considered a slight. There's a comparison of how NJIT did against the team that won the conference and had more top 25 votes than UVM. Seems like a backhanded compliment to Liberty if you ask me.

Fan's arrogance is a direct result of um...winning

Vermont has had a good run lately. It's no different when SBU or Albany or UMBC has success. There are a lot of Vermont fans on this forum (probably also a function of um...winning) so I'm sure it feels overwhelming. Sorry, not sorry.

Perhaps someday, UNH will get to experience it...perhaps not...either way, winning and losing and bragging and complaining...all part of the game, no?
My mistake as I meant to use the quote below as an example of the arrogance of the older Vermont faithful.

"UVM Hoop Cat
Premium Member

Joined Feb 28, 2005
33,138 Posts
#33 1 d ago

Have seen Levar Williams play in HS. Thought Jim Engles did a nice job there in early days. That's kinda all I got on NJIT. Welcome! Looking forward to 2-3 wins a season and hopefully coaching staff can get in some recruiting when in Newark. "

I hope that UNH will get to experience it some day and I hope we get lucky and a Taylor Coppenrath falls in our laps but if it happens I assure you the UNH fans will be much more gracious and less self-centered then the Vermont Boys. I don't know why you don't just go get your own board and let the other teams that would like to post about the league and have good discussion have this board. Win with class and lose with class my friends. I look forward to all of the posts about the juggernaut Catamounts and how they have a chance to go undefeated no matter who you play whether it be Duke or UNH in the upcoming season.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
My mistake as I meant to use the quote below as an example of the arrogance of the older Vermont faithful.

"UVM Hoop Cat
Premium Member

Joined Feb 28, 2005
33,138 Posts
#33 1 d ago

I hope that UNH will get to experience it some day and I hope we get lucky and a Taylor Coppenrath falls in our laps but if it happens I assure you the UNH fans will be much more gracious and less self-centered then the Vermont Boys. I don't know why you don't just go get your own board and let the other teams that would like to post about the league and have good discussion have this board. Win with class and lose with class my friends. I look forward to all of the posts about the juggernaut Catamounts and how they have a chance to go undefeated no matter who you play whether it be Duke or UNH in the upcoming season.
Ha Ok.

No doubt that Coppenrath was a great Vermont player, but he played for four years, like a decade and two head coaches ago. He was a Vermont kid with no other DI prospects. He grew and turned into a great player. Isn't that every player and coach's dream? Its seems to me that you're suggesting that he is the sole reason for Vermont's success for like the last decade. If one player makes a difference, why haven't so many other AE teams been able to do the same. Vermont has not owned the player of the year, every year. One Jameel Warney comes to mind...also, UMBC pulled the biggest upset on the biggest stage in NCAA history, yet they didn't seem to parlay that into much of anything. Winning consistently, takes winning consistently. Good programs do it year after year. That is reality.

Anyway, I get what you're saying, some of us are a-holes. I'm sorry that it's upsetting for some on this forum that choose to tolerate it. As you've said, many have left. Let's say that you got your wish and all the Vermont fans left for their own forum. It would be pretty quiet around here, don't you think? There are not more than a handful or two, of regular, non-UVM posters...

And again, Vermont is not going to be dominant every year, forever. Some other programs will get an impactful recruit or whatever and have a hot run. That program's fans will turn up on this board and talk about how their team is going to be a 12 seed in the NCAA tourney or whatever, it is a reality...Some Vermont fans get excited and have overheated expectations, but most of us have been around long enough and seen it all before, but yeah, the board would definitely be better without the Vermont fans...

·
The People's Champ
707 Posts
I like the banter of all fans, good and bad on this forum. my comment was more of, let's try to bring some facts into why we think NJIT will land in the conf as opposed to "ahh, ASUN kinda sucks, and they only won 9 games, blah blah, they're only going to win 3 games in the AE!" hate to break it to all on this forum, AE isn't such a star spangled banner of a conf, we only get 1 auto bid and we only have maybe 3-4 teams make it above .500 every year? conf expansion for AE is a good thing, and when we land them, let's welcome their fans, then crush them in league play ;). in all seriousness though, I'd be surprised if they really did only win less than 5 games all year. they return their best player, 4 year player, have a solid core rotation, depth kinda stinks. also their best player is a shoot first PG at 5'9. AE has good length and honestly do not see too many small guards excel in AE, there's been a couple obviously (sessoms so sad to see you leave). I say 9-10 wins AT best, but that's enough to surprise teams in playoff games in the AE!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the banter of all fans, good and bad on this forum. my comment was more of, let's try to bring some facts into why we think NJIT will land in the conf as opposed to "ahh, ASUN kinda sucks, and they only won 9 games, blah blah, they're only going to win 3 games in the AE!" hate to break it to all on this forum, AE isn't such a star spangled banner of a conf, we only get 1 auto bid and we only have maybe 3-4 teams make it above .500 every year? conf expansion for AE is a good thing, and when we land them, let's welcome their fans, then crush them in league play ;). in all seriousness though, I'd be surprised if they really did only win less than 5 games all year. they return their best player, 4 year player, have a solid core rotation, depth kinda stinks. also their best player is a shoot first PG at 5'9. AE has good length and honestly do not see too many small guards excel in AE, there's been a couple obviously (sessoms so sad to see you leave). I say 9-10 wins AT best, but that's enough to surprise teams in playoff games in the AE!
Last year seemed to be a "Murphy's Law" type of year for NJIT. One of their better players tore his knee and missed 3/4 of the season. I'm sure they also felt like they left some W's on the table. But at the end of the day, they were a nine-win team and lost to a pair of America East bottom feeders, so the lack of respect may be warranted.

But, if you go back just one more year, they won 22 games in 2018-19 in a season when they got some breaks and won some games they probably didn't deserve. They beat Colgate who went on to win the Patriot League, and a pair of A-10 teams, but couldn't get past Lipscomb (NIT Runner-Up) and Liberty (NCAA Round of 32) in the ASUN.

I saw on NJIT's twitter they went out to Stony Brook in 2016-17 and defeated SB, who went on to be the two-seed in the AE playoffs.

I put the ASUN right on par with the America East in terms of talent. You can go back and forth in terms of which league was stronger any given year. I'm fairly confident NJIT is happy to bid adieu to Liberty and Lipscomb in exchange for Vermont and Stony Brook, though.

If their veterans all return, I believe NJIT will be a top half of the America East team. If their newcomers can help a bit, they'll contend in the league. And if neither of those things happen, they'll be at the bottom of the league.

Tough to predict low/mid-major hoops and that's one of the things I like most about it.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts