Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Realist/A-hole
5,723 Posts
This year is more of a toss up in the conference than many of the previous years. I don't see a prohibitive favorite. Vermont will likely get the default preseason vote, but their are many more questions on this years team with Lamb's graduation. SBU would have been the favorites had their top 3 players not all transferred up. Hartford's two star grad transfers graduated, but they have a better than average core returning. UNH returns almost everyone from a vastly improved young team. UMBC is UMBC. They'll defend and struggle to score. Albany can't seem to get their shit together, but who knows. I'd say it's a good year to join the AE for NJIT on the basketball front.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there any talk of NJIT having to improve their women's program? They are an RPI killer.
I know next to nothing about the women's team, but I'd like to think (like every program in America) they are trying to improve?

Took a quick glance at their schedule last season and although their record was awful they beat Hartford and led Vermont with three minutes to go on the road. They also got smoked by Binghamton.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I know next to nothing about the women's team, but I'd like to think (like every program in America) they are trying to improve?

Took a quick glance at their schedule last season and although their record was awful they beat Hartford and led Vermont with three minutes to go on the road. They also got smoked by Binghamton.
Hartford was 1-28 last year.

Vermont was 12-18 (6-10), and #7 in the conference, so no great shakes.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Do we really care about RPI too much? We are a one bid league. For SBU I'd rather have every other team be on the 300's in RPI and almost guarantee the automatic then have 10 teams between 50 and 100 and hope the committee decides to give my team an at large. The odds of getting in are much better in the first scenario.

·
Examiner
725 Posts
To welcome NJIT I have added this map to the AE wiki page:

Initially I added the location map AE twitter handle tweeted. But wiki removed it due to copyright 🤷‍♂️ So I just used a blank map and used same blue color and added bright yellow stars ⭐ as location haha ... hope wiki doesn’t remove it for using someone else’s blank map as canvas

·
Gr8t Dane
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Love that map. After looking at it, I am convinced that the America East needs to grow to 12 or 14 teams. Move to 2 divisions - north and south, and have an uneven conference schedule. 2 games against your division each year, and 1 against the other division. Add a team or 2 from Eastern PA, one from Delaware, and one from Rhode Island to make each state recognized:

America East North
  • Maine
  • UVM
  • New Hampshire
  • UML
  • UA
  • Hartford
  • Bryant
America East South
  • SBU
  • NJIT
  • UMBC
  • Bing
  • Delaware Blue Hens
  • Drexel
  • Lehigh
With that 14 team league: you have a 20 game conference season. 12 divisional conference games, and 8 non-divisional conference games each year. (1 non-divisional team would be a rivalry that has 2 games H/A)

Wow that was a lot of thought for something that will never happen. LOL

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
As I mentioned in the other thread, I’m a little hesitant to divide the pie a bit more if the pie doesn’t expand.
In the thread about conference expansion, I spoke of a scenario that also will never happen. I did note that maybe adding 2 more mouths to feed would be tough, but if you are saving every school a pretty good amount in their travel budget, maybe it balances out? Anyway, it's neither here nor there as it is a scenario that will not ever happen lol.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
This is a one bid league. Every team you add makes it more unlikely you will win the conference and go to the NCAA tournament. Even if you are Vermont, maybe your odds drop from 35% to 30%. That is pretty significant.

I would argue that all leagues that do not get at-large NCAA bids should be as small as possible. Why make your life more difficult? You could already craft an entire non-conference schedule and not travel south or west of Maryland if you wanted.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts