Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Competitive amongst lottery teams, and competitive in the sense they were trying to win games and sign players (Lee, Jordan).

Yes, he's a perfect example when you factored in what you stated. Golden state kept him and his large salary because they couldn't get a better player. They didn't dump him for draft picks or dump him outright. Dumping his salary would of only made sense if they could get a better free agent, and they were still in play for dwight and signed iggy so it didn't make sense to dump him.
I mean.....I don't think I wanted them to outright dump Lee previously - I only think they should do that now in order to afford players that are better (or at least more impactful in their current system). I know I floated the idea of them working a trade with Lee and Brook Lopez as the principles under the logic that Lopez and Bogut combined would give them a decent shot at having one center healthy for the playoffs, but that's hardly dumping him to keep them from winning more.

If that's the case, then I'm wrong.

Ok, but next time I see you criticize a team for shooting for a eigth seed instead of gutting a roster best believe Im bringing this up.
At the same time, sometimes trading off your veterans is the right move. It'd be disingenuous of me to talk about being happy with Boston churning out some low playoff seeds without also talking about all the draft picks they got liquidating Pierce/KG/Rondo/Green. Those picks are what give the C's a pretty good chance of vaulting themselves from a first-round also-ran to a top-4 seed at some point. If they had simply sat tight the previous two seasons and last year's seven-seed was a result of Rondo/Bradley/Pierce/Bass/KG with Terry/Green/vets off the bench being less bad than the rest of the East I'd be significantly less happy. If they had won 20-something games again this season in the process of stockpiling all those picks I'd be okay with it as the cost of reloading the team's war chest. It's when you do something with no particular plan or avenue to improve that you really put a franchise in trouble - places like LA, NY, and Miami can bank on free agents flocking to that market if the team's halfway decent in a way that Minnesota can't.

I suppose my point is simply that there are multiple legitimate ways to rebuild a team, and that the draft/free agency/trades are all tools whose viability depends heavily on your current roster, your market, and the assets you have at your disposal. OKC and Golden State nailed the whole "bottom out, hit on some draft picks, and then acquire vets to put you over the top" strategy. Indiana and Houston managed to build contenders without ever truly bottoming out via some savvy signings/trades and maximizing their draft picks outside the very top of the draft. There's no magic formula to team-building.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Warriors got the easiest Ring ever
I hate to say this, but he's right. I mean the Warriors beat a sub .500 Nationals team, and only needed to win a best of 5 to do it, and then they smacked around a Pistons team that was only barely better than the Nationals. The Warriors did indeed get the easiest ring ever.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Still hate to think about the Curry/Amare trade that the Warriors reportedly backed out of after drafting Curry for us.

I'm not sure how they can claim the Warriors didn't bottom out when they have multiple high to mid lotto picks as part of their core. Granted their trades for Iggy, Bogut and Lee were solid. And they nailed the Green pick. But let's face it, none of those moves mean shit with out the Splash brothers. Which they acquired because they were terrible.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The only reason Warriors won is because they are stacked. Lebron was 1 shot away from beating all of them and he didn't even shoot a high percentage. If Warriors didn't have players like Iguodala and Lee on the bench last year, no way they win.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts