Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WE need more of this fire from vince and rj

ON DETORIT PISTONS
"They're not better than us," New Jersey's Kenyon Martin said. "They had a decent ballgame today, and we had some careless turnovers, but they're not better than us by any means. Hopefully we'll see them down the line and show them who's the better team."

· Registered
14,837 Posts
I thought RJ learned from K-Mart. I really dislike it when players and coaches always say the same old "They played better then us today" or "Tip your hate to them for executing" or other propoganda as that. I'd be willing to wager money that that isn't what the coaches and players are really thinking or feeling. I'd prefer they do what Sheed and K-Mart do and just express how you really feel. RJ needs to be the enforcer on this team and give it toughness and not just cockiness

· Registered
866 Posts
rsheth3 said:
WE need more of this fire from vince and rj

ON DETORIT PISTONS
"They're not better than us," New Jersey's Kenyon Martin said. "They had a decent ballgame today, and we had some careless turnovers, but they're not better than us by any means. Hopefully we'll see them down the line and show them who's the better team."
Wow I've been saying this for a long time.

· Registered
2,856 Posts
jmk said:
I truly miss Kenyon.
You can still send him a greeting card.

Reactions: Air Fly

· Registered
866 Posts
NetIncome said:
Oh please. Just because someone doesn't make public statements, doesnt yell and scream, doesnt mean they have fire.

He's deranged.
Kenyon did the right things to make the team tougher. He fired them up with his dunks. He shut down players on the defensive end. The lasting image of that was him ripping Mehmet Okur and slapping the table. Kenyon yelled and screamed and showed his passion to make everyone else play at a higher level. That's what RJ's trying to do when he tries to jam as hard as humanly possible, but he fails and misses his dunks.
Vince can put sparks with flash, Kidd does it by silently directing everything as it should be. But Kenyon made us tough - he might be deranged but his fire was great for our team. Any time he got an alley oop you could see Scalabrine and A-Train jump off the bench, and Anthony Johnson would be slapping towels.
Kenyon was the perfect guy for the team, back when we fed off pure energy - the slogan was "Keep the Energy Going" and its because we were using the crowd. A few years ago we were an unstoppable home team. We're not bad this year but we back then we were locked up. Kenyon played to the crowd, always getting them riled up - and he knew what he was doing.
He cant possibly be what he was before, but he always had the fire which I must say is missing with our team now.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Richard Jefferson said:
He cant possibly be what he was before, but he always had the fire which I must say is missing with our team now.
What's also missing with the team right now is an athletic power forward that is good to great on the defensive end and can finish on the fast break. Which is what Kenyon is (or was). But not at his salary.

· Registered
903 Posts
4get Kenyon......its better to stop dwelling in the past and start facing the future...

sure he was known as the emotional leader of this team.... and yes sometimes well we do miss his intensity ...
Reality Slap in the face Guys.....this is going to be a huge test for the Nets.... its either winning take all ...by either thinking in their minds that THE NEXT 5 GAMES is known as a GAME 7 in playoffs....
or by disrespectfully losing this game.....
plz we are still known as the "Average Joes" in the NBA league... maybe its just me making another comparison with movies like Dodgeball .... but if this streak continues then it might well be another Cinderella story!

· Registered
1,034 Posts
Richard Jefferson said:
Kenyon did the right things to make the team tougher. He fired them up with his dunks. He shut down players on the defensive end. The lasting image of that was him ripping Mehmet Okur and slapping the table. Kenyon yelled and screamed and showed his passion to make everyone else play at a higher level. That's what RJ's trying to do when he tries to jam as hard as humanly possible, but he fails and misses his dunks.
Vince can put sparks with flash, Kidd does it by silently directing everything as it should be. But Kenyon made us tough - he might be deranged but his fire was great for our team. Any time he got an alley oop you could see Scalabrine and A-Train jump off the bench, and Anthony Johnson would be slapping towels.
Kenyon was the perfect guy for the team, back when we fed off pure energy - the slogan was "Keep the Energy Going" and its because we were using the crowd. A few years ago we were an unstoppable home team. We're not bad this year but we back then we were locked up. Kenyon played to the crowd, always getting them riled up - and he knew what he was doing.
Very good points there RJ, but u gotta let the past go. To quote a line from Along Came Polly, "Its about the ride goddamnit". I am certainly enjoying this ride. I mean when we had kenyon there was no doubt about we werevery fired up. But we only averaged 14,000 fans. Now we have a nice all around team (with the improved bench) and of course we average 16,500 fans. Kenyon was unbelievable during his years with NJ, but he didnt quite work well with Marbury. KIdd made Kenyon what he is: a fired up, defensive minded monster. We have Vince now, who had his game tinkered with by kIdd, but before he was a net, he was a monster offensive force. Its not like vince cant block shots. Hes a great locker room guy, just like KMART. I may be the only one who prefers vince to kmart, although the team we had those years were better. I enjoy this team. We have people who get riled up. The "rev it up" is awesome this year. Vince gets the fans riled as well. Hes not a stiff out there. Him and RJ they equal a Kenyon in spirit. I would have loved to keep Kenyon, but if i knew that the Nets had a chance to get Vince if they didnt keep Kenyon, i would have been in Toronto finalizing the Carter deal and i would have left with him right next to me. I know people miss him and his fire. But at least we can say he left a little bit of himself with this team, a well rounded and no doubt fired up team.

· Registered
994 Posts
Richard Jefferson said:
Any time he got an alley oop you could see Scalabrine and A-Train jump off the bench, and Anthony Johnson would be slapping towels.
Well, the bench does the same now with any RJ or VC dunk, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

· Registered
2,861 Posts
Richard Jefferson said:

I completely agree. Ah, the good'ol days.

We can only hope for similar success this year.

· Banned
57,945 Posts
I miss a healthy KMart, and of course KVH.

A healthy Aaron Williams and Lucious Harris were fun to root for too.

-Petey

· Banned
4,073 Posts
K-Mart's been taken over by Sears. KVH is Nowitzki's caddy. Aaron Williams is playing for Lord Byron. And Lucious ... Well Lucious ... What's Lucious doin?

· I'm too sexy for ya.
2,089 Posts
rsheth3 said:
ON DETORIT PISTONS
Well, this is something everyone should say, but there's a limit to what you should and can say. Cockiness is good, but when you get proven wrong that's no good.

· Yes, please.
16,621 Posts
Gotham2krazy said:
Well, this is something everyone should say, but there's a limit to what you should and can say. Cockiness is good, but when you get proven wrong that's no good.
He wasn't proven wrong, though. We swept them (if this quote is from that year).

· Nets Fan
10,424 Posts
Gotham2krazy said:
I love cockineses in a player. I loved it when Rasheed guranteed victories against the Pacers and Spurs, nothing wrong with talking competitive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.