Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me what you think the playoffs will be like for the West. Mine:

1.Sacremento(Full of young talent, bound to win the finals in the next 2 years)
2.LA Lakers(Shaq and Kobe are an unstoppable duo and have a good supporting cast)
3.San Antonio(Duncan can help them try to reach the finals one more year, and if Robinson is healthy, they could be well on their way)
4.Minnesota(Garnett better live up to the hype or their in for a surprise, and Brandon hasn't had a full healthy season since '94)
5.Dallas(3 words, Dirk and Nash)
6.Portland(Good young team that could go all the way if they work as a team)
7.LA Clippers(Strong and young lineup:Miller, Piatkowski, Odom, Brand, and Olowokandi)
8.Seattle(Good defensive team, and great depth lineups)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
9.Utah(I don't think Malone and Stockton get to have one more chance to win it all, to old and don't have a good supporting cast)
10.Houston(Yao Ming will not live up to the hype, and dissapoint them horribly)
11.Phoenix(In need of a good big man, and until they do, they won't get to the playoffs for a while)
12.Denver(Young and healthy, and could make the playoffs in a couple years)
13.Memphis(Bound to make the playoffs in a while, but a little to young right now)
14.Golden State(Dunleavy won't help much, they need some more lottery picks)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
1. Lakers- defending champs plus they have the best duo in the league.
2. Kings- gave the Lakers a run for their money last year in the playoffs
3. Mavs- no question that they can score, the question is whether they can play defense.
4. Spurs- the twin towers can still get the job done. Not to mention they have the MVP leading the team.
5. Rockets- if they can keep everybody healthy and develop Ming they can make this spot. If they have injuries they could be fighting to make the playoffs.
6. Minnesota- Can KG live up to the hype and get his team past the first round?
7. Portland- incredible depth. They have the talent but do they have the team chemistry? If they have the chemistry this year than they will be higher in the seedings
8. Clipps- have alot of young talent. Kandi, Miller, Odom, and Brand need to lead this team. They could have a 6th seed if they have a great year.

You all might think I have the Rockets ranked too high but they have the talent to be a force in the league. Griffin and Francis is an up and coming duo.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The Lakers don't care about the regular season. Also Shaq always misses games. I don't see them having a better record than the Kings because they don't care if they lose to Chicago, Memphis, Denver, and Golden State.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Malakian</b>!
The Lakers don't care about the regular season. Also Shaq always misses games. I don't see them having a better record than the Kings because they don't care if they lose to Chicago, Memphis, Denver, and Golden State.
But I guarentee that when the Kings show up they will play for the win. Yes the do want to have a good record so they can have home court advantage for the playoffs.

·
Registered
162 Posts
nobody has utah making it yet???????? im sorry but stockton and malone=playoffs, they will win the games when it counts.

ok let me put up a better argument then that, one reason i think is because there supporting cast should be better then last year, with the development of kirilenko, and collins and deshawn stevenson, so they have some youth in there, they should be better in that respect, and then there is stockton and malone, and dont say they are too old, because i dont think there is gonna be much difference in last year and this year in terms of their health, both are old as hell but still just keep on truckin, and like i said, if they are in the playoff hunt come seasons end they no how and wil win the games when they have to, last season the clipps had them twice near the end of the season and couldve given themselves a chance to get in but the jazz slammed the door on them, as much as i think the rockets and suns are young up and coming teams that should make the playoffs for sure, i definitely cannot put them ahead of the proven jazz(although ill put the clipps ahead of them, but they are loaded with talent)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hunter b14 Home court advantage does not help the kings when playing the lakers.Watch game 1 of the wcf.Youll see what I mean. People still dont believe the lakers could keep winning titles.Do you even think tehy will get to the second round?Did Shaq retire?No!Did kobe retire?No!Did Phil leave?No!

All 3 are still in place to keep going.Noone can stop them.The kings had their chances when the two cogs were sick and injured they couldnt do it.Ya I cant wait to see how the kings deal with the lakers if they are healthy.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Originally posted by <b>beautifulkobe</b>!
Hunter b14 Home court advantage does not help the kings when playing the lakers.Watch game 1 of the wcf.Youll see what I mean. People still dont believe the lakers could keep winning titles.Do you even think tehy will get to the second round?Did Shaq retire?No!Did kobe retire?No!Did Phil leave?No!

All 3 are still in place to keep going.Noone can stop them.The kings had their chances when the two cogs were sick and injured they couldnt do it.Ya I cant wait to see how the kings deal with the lakers if they are healthy.
beautifulkobe I believe that the Lakers will repeat. man where did you read that I thought that the Kings would beat the Lakers this year?

I said that the Lakers would like to have home court advantage(who wouldnt ?). I NEVER said that they couldn't win without it

·
Registered
920 Posts
I don't think that the Lakers will beat the Kings this year. Shaq is not getting any younger while the Kings now have the experience in game 7 they needed. The Lakers were battle tested. They had been in game 7 before. The Kings had the better team but choked because they had never been there before. This year they will know what to expect. They will be better. While Shaq will break down during the season, but get up for the playoffs he keeps disentigrating more and more each year. this last year Duncan past him up as the best player. His toe is ****ed up. If the Lakers don't win this year I could seriously see Shaq retiring.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
1. Lakers or Kings
2. Mavs
3. Lakers or Kings
4. Portland (I'm hoping they make a trade to get KG...it was fun having a rivalry against the Blazers)
5. Spurs
6. Clippers (Depends on whether Miller, Odom, and Brand have great seasons)
7. Sonics or T-Wolves (Depends on whether Rashard Lewis re-signs)
8. Jazz or Suns (It's hard to imagine the Jazz not making the Playoffs...but anything could happen)

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
1. Lakers- defending champs plus they have the best duo in the league.
2. Kings- gave the Lakers a run for their money last year in the playoffs
3. Mavs- no question that they can score, the question is whether they can play defense.
4. Spurs- the twin towers can still get the job done. Not to mention they have the MVP leading the team.
5. Clipps- have a lot of young talent. Kandi, Miller, Odom, and Brand need to lead this team.
6. Portland- good depth. They have the talent but do they have the team chemistry? If they have the chemistry this year than they will be higher in the seedings
7. Minnesota- Can KG live up to the hype and get his team past the first round?
8. The mystery team that grabs the 8th spot.
Not the Sonics or the Suns - no team togetherness for either team.
Utah did nothing but get the non-shooting shooting guard, Calbert Cheaney.
I think the Rockets have a chance to get this 8th spot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My Prediction

1. Kings- They will have a healthy Peja back, GWall will be better, and they will add depth/talent upfront with Clark(expected to sign).

2. Mavs- Score, score, score, score, 'Nuff said.....Where's the D?

3. Lakers- Shaq and Kobe......Hope the big toe hurts

4. Spurs- Tim Duncan is too talented to let them slip farther than this. Parker was a surprise and will continue to improve.

5. Clippers- Kandi/Brand/Odom/Q/Miller- A great young team. Good depth......migt be too young to handle pressure, but the talent is there.

6. Minnesota- KG, Wally, and a healthy Brandon back. If Nasho is back, they stay put here....if not, Portland edges them

7. Blazers- Team dysfunction. If they get McInnis....Id replace them with Clippers, if they don't...they sty put. Stoudy isnt doing well at PG.....too much egos......Sad to see a team with so much talent go to waste. HEY RASHEED, TIME TO BE A LEADER BY EXAMPLE.

8. Rockets- A healthy Francis, a good SG in Mobley, a stud SF in Griffin, and a ok frontline. Ming needs to make contributions if they stand any chance against the Kings.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
This is what I predict.

1st: Sacramento Kings
2nd: Dallas Mavericks
3rd: Los Angeles Lakers
4th: San Antonio Spurs
5th: Portland Trailblazers
6th: Minnesota Timberwolves
7th: Los Angeles Clippers
8th: Utah Jazz

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
1.Lakers
2.Spurs
3.Kings
4.Mavs
5.Blazers
6. T-Wolves
7. Clippers
8. Jazz

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't think that the Lakers will beat the Kings this year. Shaq is not getting any younger while the Kings now have the experience in game 7 they needed. The Lakers were battle tested. They had been in game 7 before. The Kings had the better team but choked because they had never been there before. This year they will know what to expect. They will be better. While Shaq will break down during the season, but get up for the playoffs he keeps disentigrating more and more each year. this last year Duncan past him up as the best player. His toe is ****ed up. If the Lakers don't win this year I could seriously see Shaq retiring. [/QUOTE/]

How is Shaq disentigrating? Shaq dominated,and is still the most dominant player in basketball. Vlade is the one getting older.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't think that the Lakers will beat the Kings this year. Shaq is not getting any younger while the Kings now have the experience in game 7 they needed. The Lakers were battle tested. They had been in game 7 before. The Kings had the better team but choked because they had never been there before. This year they will know what to expect. They will be better. While Shaq will break down during the season, but get up for the playoffs he keeps disentigrating more and more each year. this last year Duncan past him up as the best player. His toe is ****ed up. If the Lakers don't win this year I could seriously see Shaq retiring.

Where is teh guarantee that the Kings will even be there next year?? The same thing happened to the 76'ers. And just cause they have 1 WCF game 7 under their belt doesn't mean anything about experience. Until Webber grows up and plays like his salary says he should, they aren't gonna make it to the Finals.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The guarantee..

The reason the 6ers never got back there was because they shook up their roster too much. Lack of team chemistry makes it hard to repeat the previous season's success.

The Kings have too much talent not to get back to the WC finals IMO. They didnt have a healthy Peja when they played the Lakers. This year, hopefully they will. Peja was their 2nd leading scorer...so they missed him badly. But Bibby and co. stepped up. Webber didn't demand the ball in the waning minutes of the games, Bibby did.....and rightfully so. Bibby was on fire throughout the series. If I was the coach, I would have gave the ball to Bibby..........even if Webber demanded it.

Say whatever you want about Webber, hes a good player. A top 3 PF(behind TD and KG- i consider KG a PF).

Now the Kings are trying to sign Clark......this will give the Kings more depth, talent, and athleticism upfront. The Kings were hurt when they had to bring Funderburke in against the Lakers. Clark is a better player, and I expect the Kings to go to the finals and win it all this upcoming season.

Nothing is guaranteed................except for death and taxes. So, the Lakers might not even make the playoffs.......nothing is guaranteed........you even said so your self.

PS. I don't believe the Lakers won't make the playoffs...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by <b>hOnDo</b>!
Where is teh guarantee that the Kings will even be there next year?? The same thing happened to the 76'ers. And just cause they have 1 WCF game 7 under their belt doesn't mean anything about experience.
You left out Portland who almost took Lakers out in 2000 when lakers had that incredible 4th Q come back. Where is Portland since ? ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts