Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seem Darko is stuck on the bench with all the depth the Pistons have in the front court. Sheed, and McDyess are signed for another couple seasons and Wallace should get a big contract of his own, he is the identity of that team.

So where does that leave Darko?

If the Pistons were inclined for swaping Zoran or this years pick along with the Clippers pick of next year, would you be tempted to make such a swap?

-Joe C.

·
Banned
4,660 Posts
The Pistons would never do that. Darko isn't worthless, he's just developed that reputation because this message board is ****stupid. He's 19 years old and the best big man prospect in the NBA.

That said, I would love Milicic. Darko and Nenad! What a frontline!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Joe Camel said:
It seem Darko is stuck on the bench with all the depth the Pistons have in the front court. Sheed, and McDyess are signed for another couple seasons and Wallace should get a big contract of his own, he is the identity of that team.

So where does that leave Darko?

If the Pistons were inclined for swaping Zoran or this years pick along with the Clippers pick of next year, would you be tempted to make such a swap?

-Joe C.
Well it's a tough (and good) question... Darko can't start for us (defense, consistency, etc...).

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Darko and Nenad hate each other.

Darko claimed he was better by wheeling around a tape of him dunking on Nenad when he was injured, but Nenad got the last laugh outscoring him 29 to 7 or something like that in their final game.

Reactions: Petey

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, he has size and touch, he's stuck behind a huge front court that has years left on their contracts.

Love to see him paired with Krstic. If he could beat Krstic when he was younger imagine his potential with time.

-Joe C.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I think if it like this...Krstic coulda been in the same situation Darko is if he stayed with us from when he got drafted...stuck behind K-Mart, Collins, etc...he wouldn't have gotten time.

Maybe the Pistons should have kept him in Europe (if they could have)

If that were to be offered to us, I'd pull the trigger.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Darko is the best big man prospect in the NBA??? Where does that leave Nenad? Behind Darko?

I often wonder why some people on this board claim to be Nets fans.

Darko has a lot of talent, but has not ever shown it. While playing in the Yuba league, he never averaged 10 ppg. His supporters, including hypemaster Chad Ford, blamed his coach.

When as a 16 year old in 2002, Darko was hailed as the next great big man in Europe, he came to the US to play in the Global Games. He sat on the bench while Nenad won co-MVP of the tournament [along with Chris Bosh, then in high school]. His supporters again blamed the coach.

When Darko and Nenad had their big faceoff in Yugoslavia, again after a lot of hype, Darko didnt deliever. On April 16, 2003, their two teams battled. Partizan's best player was out and the challenge fell to Nenad to make up the difference. He outscored Darko 29-7. Partizan lost, but at that moment, if anyone was noticing, Nenad passed Darko and hasn't looked back since.

As Doc Rivers said, "I don't think people give him enough credit for how good he is. He's a very good basketball player. And he's going to be obviously much better. He didn't come in the league with any fanfare, so I don't think people have talked about him enough."

Sports writers are a lazy group for the most part and didn't pay a damn bit of attention to him. The conventional wisdom last summer was that the Nets had sold their draft choice so they didn't have any decent rookies.

Would I take a chance on him? Sure, but I wouldn't give up anything more than a first round draft choice...and not the Clips. He has yet to prove anything.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
The key element here is that Krstic is a rising star, while Milicic remains merely a prospect. Can't really call Nenad a prospect anymore.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
He is a rookie who has [finally] gained the respect of the refs and during the last seven games is averaging 16.6 ppg and 8.1 rpg...including 3.4 orpg, shooting 56% from the floor and averaging 1.1 apg as well.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Larry Brown this week on Darko:

With a bench that looks vulnerable, Brown already has gone to a short rotation with concerns about Carlos Delfino, Darko Milicic and Carlos Arroyo, saying: "There have been a lot of situations where I don't think these young kids have come off the bench with a desire to play."

As for Milicic, Brown blasted away: "Darko is a young kid that just doesn't get it. He wants to play, but he wants to play on his terms. He sees all these other kids from his draft class playing on bad teams and it's tough for him. If he'd have played last year and we lost, he'd been much happier."

Ouch. Though it's not an issue now, Milicic's playing time could lead to Brown's departure because at some point the Pistons need to find out if their No. 2 overall pick can play.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/11362017.htm

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
NetIncome said:
Sports writers are a lazy group for the most part and didn't pay a damn bit of attention to him. The conventional wisdom last summer was that the Nets had sold their draft choice so they didn't have any decent rookies.
Absolutely. Even after how well Nenad has played the local papers are still not giving him enough respect. Is it because he doesn't speak english that well? Limited interviews? I know Vince has been grabbing a lot of headlines with his spectacular play during this stretch, but would he be if Nenad wasn't in the post? No way. Vince is playing mostly the same way he has, Nenad elevating his game and giving this team a post presence is the reason for all the optimism. Yet not one article about it. They give him a little respect here and there, but I expect more the way this team is riding him. I'm waiting for the "Kenyon who?" headline.

·
Registered
954 Posts
That last paragraph says it all. If i was darko and brown was going to return for next season, i would demand a trade. it's obvious he's not going to get any playing time under brown no matter how hard he tries. brown goes out of his way to torment this kid and knock him. remember when brown put darko in a game with only 9 seconds left only to run out the clock. i think it's ok to bring a rookie along slowly but brown is probably killing the spirit, fire and the fun from darko completely.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Don't see how you could compare the two. One is buried behind three good post players and the other is a starter averaging 10 points per game. Kristic is better right now.

And that trade offer is laughable Peter...

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
kidd2rj said:
That last paragraph says it all. If i was darko and brown was going to return for next season, i would demand a trade. it's obvious he's not going to get any playing time under brown no matter how hard he tries. brown goes out of his way to torment this kid and knock him. remember when brown put darko in a game with only 9 seconds left only to run out the clock. i think it's ok to bring a rookie along slowly but brown is probably killing the spirit, fire and the fun from darko completely.
Brown felt the same way about the players he had in the olympics and most of those guys are having career years. His opinions on players have little merit. I think he has very good veteran players and he rather play them. Everything else is just his justification to the players, management and fans. I'm sure in his mind he is trying to win a championship and not run a basketball camp for 19 year olds.

·
Registered
954 Posts
well darko won his ring even though he didn't do anything to get it. At this point, if I was darko, I'd rather go to atlanta or new orleans and at least get to play everyday. no matter what brown could be teaching him in practice, he won't learn until he gets on the court. Just look at where krstic has come from the beginning of the season to now. He hasn't even hit a rookie wall. he's playing ever better each game.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Trade a potentially very high pick and more for a player who hasn't proven he can play in the NBA and doesn't even fill the Nets biggest need? No thanks.

CJ said:
Don't see how you could compare the two. One is buried behind three good post players and the other is a starter averaging 10 points per game. Kristic is better right now.

...and a Pistons fan won't do it either. It's not gonna happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think darko would flourish elsewhere...jsut look at dan dickau in NO or even darko's serb compatriot zarko cabarkapa in Golden state who's averaging 6points in 12 minutes now that he gets even limited playing time

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CJ said:

Well with the time he is getting and getting frustrated now, don't think he would leave as a FA or have his agent demand a trade?

-Joe C.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Joe Camel said:
Well with the time he is getting and getting frustrated now, don't think he would leave as a FA or have his agent demand a trade?

-Joe C.

Well after this season we still have him for 2 more years and another year as a restricted free agent, so that's some time down the road... at least too far to predict whether or not he will leave or stay. If he was a FA at the end of this season, then yes I think he would leave. He's just not in the immediate plans.

Two years from now it could be a different story though. Sheed, Ben, and Dice (all born within ten days of each other) will be hitting the 33 year old mark and hopefully by then Darko will start to become what Joe D. envisioned when he drafted him. LB more than likely will be long gone by then so getting along with the coach won't be a problem.

As far as demanding a trade -- he has no leverage, all he could really do is pout.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
King of NY said:
I think darko would flourish elsewhere...jsut look at dan dickau in NO or even darko's serb compatriot zarko cabarkapa in Golden state who's averaging 6points in 12 minutes now that he gets even limited playing time
He actually looks good when he plays with the regulars. Garbage time is when he looks the worst.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts