Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At times, this team has looked like it should be playing in the MVC. At other times, they have looked...decent...

The key is obviously to get some production out of players other than Bracey Wright. Wright is a guy who can be very effective, but not when he's the only guy capable of stretching the defense. Guys like Kline and Strickland have to step up more often than every third game.

George Leach could be a difference maker. Even though he doesn't blow people away offensively, he is a big body who can offer some sort of fight in the post.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
Obviously, it's been a bit disappointing, but like you alluded too - things would be at least a little different if Leach were around. He may not be a great scorer, but he's a big body. He can alter/block shots, he rebounds, and most importantly he has experience. He plays and this is a different team, IMO. I'm a little surprised that Strickland and Moye haven't stepped up more. Wright can't do it alone.

If no one bails for the NBA, Davis will be in much better shape next season. But don't lose hope for them this season - they still have Bracey Wright. ;)

hey blabla - nice showing by your hawkeye's tonight @ Minn.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know how much to read into last night's win. The Gophers are awful. Worst-team-in-the-Big-Ten-awful, perhaps.

Teams are just pounding the crap out of each other right now. Nobody looks better than anybody else. Are we on our way to a 4-way tie for first, at 9-7?

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
I don't know - Wisconsin's looked pretty good from what I've seen, but I haven't seen much.

As for the Gophers. I thought they'd be a little better this season.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>TonyM</b>!
I don't know - Wisconsin's looked pretty good from what I've seen, but I haven't seen much.

As for the Gophers. I thought they'd be a little better this season.
People up here are really embarrased about the Gopher men's team right now, and the women are actually drawing bigger crowds. There were a couple of scathing articles in the STrib today.

The team just doesn't have enough weapons.

Humphries is a great, great player, but he doesn't have any help right now. Everybody expected a lot more from Mike Bauer this year, and Ben Johnson has been the only offensive contributor from the backcourt. And his contributions have been inconsistent at best. Boone would be solid on a good team, but on a bad team, he doesn't offer much.

The recruiting scene has been hurt by the Haskins sanctions, as it's hard to get out-of-state players on campus. Monson has done a decent job of keeping marquee players in-state, but the vultures are definitely circling.

Barring some kind of major recruiting coup, if Hump goes pro, I don't think Monson will last much longer...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TonyM</b>!

My Badgers have been impressive at home so far, but losses on the road to Maryland and Alabama leave a huge question mark around how good we will really be this season. Granted Tucker was out, but Alabama's big men destroyed us down low. Our post defense is not exactly stellar. I guess the true test of how good we are will come tonight when we have to play Purdue on the road. Mackey Arena has been a horrible place for us to play for as long as I can remember. I really think this is the hardest game of the season for us, so we'll see what happens.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
Originally posted by <b>madtownguy</b>!
Originally posted by <b>TonyM</b>!I guess the true test of how good we are will come tonight when we have to play Purdue on the road.
Didn't get to see the game but I saw the final. Was it a good game? Who's the team to beat in the Big Ten? Obviously it isn't Illinois. Are my eyes deceiving me? A ten point loss to N'western???

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, losing to Northwestern doesn't bode well for Illinois, but it's still early yet. Even though NW was at home, that's still not a game Illinois should lose. They also lost to Purdue at home, so my opinion is that is it's a two-team race between Purdue and my Badgers at the moment.

As for the Badger game, it was pretty good. We didn't shoot well at all and the refs made questionable calls and no-calls. It was good to see them come back at the end, although I don't know what the h**l Devin was doing on that last shot. Just stupid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts