Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
6,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's having a spectacular tournament and has been huge against Duke tonight. He's a 6'9" power forward who's pretty much the opposite of what Zach Randolph is. He's quick, athletic, a good shot blocker and rebounder. So far, I've been impressed. What do you guys and gals think in terms of picking him up in the draft?

· Registered
9,649 Posts
He'll be a SF in the NBA, and he's only a freshman (redshirt I think).

· Registered
543 Posts
If we fail to get Bargnani, Aldridge or Morrison, I would be all for taking Thomas if he comes out. He will be a Kenyon Martin like PF in the nba. He came up huge in the clutch tonight.

· Registered
5,891 Posts
yeah I missed the game was helping my father wish i could see duke go down!

· Registered
2,539 Posts
I'm with Express on this one. I think he's the 4th best guy in the draft right now. If the big three are all gone I say take him. The kid's tough. I could see him playing some 5 until we find something to do with Randolph. He may not score much but he's wicked good at everything else.

· Registered
7,207 Posts
Excellent defender, excellent rebounder. Offensive game needs polish, tends to dominate with physical ability alone, which won't get him by at the next level. Not sure about range. Made plays when game was on the line. Would be worthy of a 5 to 10 pick. Might not be done growing. He has the physical tools to compete at either forward position. Versatality is a good thing.

· Registered
6,509 Posts
BEER&BASKETBALL said:
He'll be a SF in the NBA...
You must be joking.

Thomas is not even close to a SF. He's Stromile Swift with a better motor.

· Registered
6,509 Posts
Schilly said:
I don't see any way thomas is a SF. I think he's probably the 5th best, but depending on whos picking and who's left could go as high as #3.
Yes, yes and yes.

· Registered
16,001 Posts
tlong said:
I would rather have Glen Davis.
We can ship Schilling and Harnisch and Finley for him, but I don't think it'll work out. At least it didn't for the Orioles.

Edd O.

· Registered
16,001 Posts
deanwoof said:
Tyrus Thomas = Chris Wilcox of 3-4 years ago when he destroyed teams for Maryland in the tournament with his athleticism, block shots and put backs.
That's an interesting thought. I guess the question I would have is why Wilcox failed (so far) as an NBA player. He seems to (a) lack offensive skills and (b) lack a proper "motor". I considered the Clippers' draft in 2002 (Wilcox and Ely) to be a total fiasco, and it looks like I was right (for once).

I don't know a ton about Thomas, but I don't have the same doubt in my mind about him as I did about Wilcox...

Ed O.

· Registered
852 Posts
Wilcox is one of the most underrated players in the league.....he is showing right now in seattle why dunleavy was crazy for not giving him so more run in LAC

Mike D not playin a good young big man.....GEEZ!!!! where have i heard that before????? hahaha

as for thomas.....i unfortunately had a final exam during that game....but from what i heard from my friends, we would be crazy to pass on this kid if aldridge and morrison are gone

· Registered
9,850 Posts
Ed O said:
That's an interesting thought. I guess the question I would have is why Wilcox failed (so far) as an NBA player. He seems to (a) lack offensive skills and (b) lack a proper "motor". I considered the Clippers' draft in 2002 (Wilcox and Ely) to be a total fiasco, and it looks like I was right (for once).

I don't know a ton about Thomas, but I don't have the same doubt in my mind about him as I did about Wilcox...

Ed O.
Wilcox has been very good in Seattle. It's a limited sample size, but he's averaging 15 ppg (on 60% shooting), and 9 rpg in 10 games as a starter.

I would say he failed due to his situation on the Clippers...

1) He was stuck behind a great player in Brand, which limited his playing time and margin for error. If he makes a mistake or the other team goes on a run, the coach is putting Elton back in.

2) The Clippers lacked a playmaker. You're right that he lacks refined skills, Ed. But what he does have is finishing ability, great speed on the open floor, and he cuts well without the ball in the halfcourt. He needs to play in an open system, and have good passers to get him the ball. I'm guessing Jaric, Dooling, House, and Brunson didn't do a good job of that.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.