Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about the recent quote from Nate McMillan, saying we need to trade our top draft pick for an all star, most likely at the SG position. But how many All Star caliber players are there going to be available this offseason? There are always a few, but it seems like the stars are lining up so that there isn't a McGrady or that level of player available this off season.

Maybe Corey Maggette. Maybe Ben Gordon (not that he's an all star...) I'd love to see Jason Richardson become available, but I doubt that happens.
Here's the quote in question:

"We also asked him about the draft and who would he would like. McMillan told us it's the final word for the brass but, he said he had enough young talent that he would trade the number one pick if he got it and would get an all-star player. I asked him what position would you go after for a trade he told me SG."

http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/blazersblog/

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
I think Portland should be targeting All-Star bigs. SF, PF, C are the possitions we need the most help with. Our back court is young, but not unqualified to be the starters of a good team in a year or so. Telfair and Jack make up a good pg tandem, and Webster has shown the ability if not the experience to shoot and spreas the defense. What Portland needs is a SF that is consistant at 15ish points per game, PF that can not only score, but defend, and a C that can burn the defense if they leave him open.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
Fork said:
I was thinking about the recent quote from Nate McMillan, saying we need to trade our top draft pick for an all star, most likely at the SG position. But how many All Star caliber players are there going to be available this offseason? There are always a few, but it seems like the stars are lining up so that there isn't a McGrady or that level of player available this off season.

Maybe Corey Maggette.
I've never been impressed with Maggette. He's just bonzi with less attitude and more ppg.

he's too much like a power guard.

Maybe Ben Gordon (not that he's an all star...)
he's also another short SG trapped in a PG's body. He's basically Juan Dixon.

I'd love to see Jason Richardson become available, but I doubt that happens.
I hope they don't get Jason Richardson (besides that he hit his girlfriend). Im not sure if he fits what the team wants.

Here's the quote in question:

"We also asked him about the draft and who would he would like. McMillan told us it's the final word for the brass but, he said he had enough young talent that he would trade the number one pick if he got it and would get an all-star player. I asked him what position would you go after for a trade he told me SG."

http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/blazersblog/
They should be open to all options, but Im not sure if who is available is worth for what he'd cost.

Getting 2 solid vets (to replace lets say, Darius and Theo (?) ) would probably be a good start. Who those guys are, I don't have a clue.

·
mere fan
6,556 Posts
lifted from Fork's initial link...

Then: Both teams played hard
Now: Both teams hardly played

Then: Too many veterans and not enough playing time
Now: Too much playing time and not enough veterans

Then: Lots of joints
Now: Totally disjointed

Then: Serious offensive rebounding
Now: Seriously offensive rebounding

Then: Can’t quite make the finals
Now: Can’t quite make a free throw

Then: One Team, One Dream
Now: One pass, one shot

Then: Team takes grief in the Great Western Forum
Now: Team takes grief in the Oregonian online forum

Then: Fans boo the refs
Now: Fans boo the owner

Then: 24 losses
Now: 24 wins

Then: Tickets to game: priceless
Now: Tickets to game: free

STOMP

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I've never been impressed with Maggette. He's just bonzi with less attitude and more ppg.

he's too much like a power guard.
Agreed his game isn't as versatile as I would like but I really love the fact that he gets to the free throw line alot. I believe he has led the league in FT attempts in previous seasons.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I also am not sure who would be available. I'd still like Pierce but I think he's basically solidified his spot in Boston for at least a while longer (though with Ainge, never know).

Peja Stojakovic might be available. He has a player option, and if he's not happy in Indy he might use it. In which case a S&T might be an option. I'm not sure what I think of him, he definitely could put up the points but his defense leaves much to be desired and he has a tendency to fade when it matters. Also a SF not a SG, but beggars can't be choosers.

Can't really think of anyone else, but maybe it'll be more obvious during the off-season.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
You're assuming Paul Allen wants to pay for an All-Star. A poor assumption, IMO.

-Pop

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I'm not really convinced that there's going to be many/any established All-Stars available this off-season, except maybe for some guys who are too old to really make a difference with our young nucleus. Ideally we'd be looking for someone 25-27 years old... who would it be? The guys I could imagine coming available (Garnett, Pierce?) are just too old, I think.

I think our better bet would be to go after emerging stars, and especially guys who have length (our team is so small now!) and play good D.

A couple semi-crazy possibilities:

Trade DMiles and Blake to Golden State for Derek Fisher and Mikael Pietrus. I love Pietrus and think he could break out like Joe Johnson. He's explosive, can get to the rack, and plays great D. But in GS he's stuck behind JRich and probably always will be. GS is getting killed by Dunleavy at SF, and might be desperate enough to take a flier on Miles' potential at that spot, especially if they can get out from Fisher's contract and get back a cheaper, similar player in Blake.

Trade Z-Bo and our 2007 first-rounder to Chicago for Tyson Chandler and both of Chicago's 2006 lotto picks. We'd then have to use one of our three lotto picks to get at least one and maybe two offensively-skilled big men with length (Bargnani, Noah, Thomas, Aldridge) and a young wing (Morrison or Gay). Chicago gets the interior scorer they've never had in Z-Bo, plus a shot at a good player in next year's draft. I know many would think it is crazy to give up on the Oden sweepstakes, but I think this team needs to make big moves now. I'm not sure the franchise can handle another season of hopeless suckiness just to get a 25% chance of winning the lotto.

My new team, then, has a lot more size, defense, and shooting:

C: Chandler/Przybilla/Theo/Ha
PF: Bargnani/Noah/Skinner
SF: Morrison/Outlaw/Viktor
SG: Pietrus/Webster/Dixon
PG: Telfair/Jack/Fisher

Stepping Razor

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Stepping Razor said:
I'm not really convinced that there's going to be many/any established All-Stars available this off-season, except maybe for some guys who are too old to really make a difference with our young nucleus. Ideally we'd be looking for someone 25-27 years old... who would it be? The guys I could imagine coming available (Garnett, Pierce?) are just too old, I think.

I think our better bet would be to go after emerging stars, and especially guys who have length (our team is so small now!) and play good D.

A couple semi-crazy possibilities:

Trade DMiles and Blake to Golden State for Derek Fisher and Mikael Pietrus. I love Pietrus and think he could break out like Joe Johnson. He's explosive, can get to the rack, and plays great D. But in GS he's stuck behind JRich and probably always will be. GS is getting killed by Dunleavy at SF, and might be desperate enough to take a flier on Miles' potential at that spot, especially if they can get out from Fisher's contract and get back a cheaper, similar player in Blake.

Trade Z-Bo and our 2007 first-rounder to Chicago for Tyson Chandler and both of Chicago's 2006 lotto picks. We'd then have to use one of our three lotto picks to get at least one and maybe two offensively-skilled big men with length (Bargnani, Noah, Thomas, Aldridge) and a young wing (Morrison or Gay). Chicago gets the interior scorer they've never had in Z-Bo, plus a shot at a good player in next year's draft. I know many would think it is crazy to give up on the Oden sweepstakes, but I think this team needs to make big moves now. I'm not sure the franchise can handle another season of hopeless suckiness just to get a 25% chance of winning the lotto.

My new team, then, has a lot more size, defense, and shooting:

C: Chandler/Przybilla/Theo/Ha
PF: Bargnani/Noah/Skinner
SF: Morrison/Outlaw/Viktor
SG: Pietrus/Webster/Dixon
PG: Telfair/Jack/Fisher

Stepping Razor
Not bad ideas IMO especially the GS one...probably have to throw in a large bottle of whiskey in the CHI trade though...they would have to be drunk to do that one IMO. Also I would rather take Ben Gordon from them then Chandler. Never been much of a Chandler fan myself.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SodaPopinski said:
You're assuming Paul Allen wants to pay for an All-Star. A poor assumption, IMO.

-Pop
Well, he's paying three non-all stars as if they WERE all stars, so what's the difference?

Theoretically, we could trade Theo Ratliff plus our 1st round pick to team X for an all star. If we do that, we're paying the same amount of money (plus we don't have to pay for a #1 draft pick) and we have an all star.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Fork said:
Well, he's paying three non-all stars as if they WERE all stars, so what's the difference?

Theoretically, we could trade Theo Ratliff plus our 1st round pick to team X for an all star. If we do that, we're paying the same amount of money (plus we don't have to pay for a #1 draft pick) and we have an all star.

Who is the 3rd all star salary? Theo I get, Zach I get, the third is gone unless you are talking about DA

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
mediocre man said:
Who is the 3rd all star salary? Theo I get, Zach I get, the third is gone unless you are talking about DA
Darius.

-Pop

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
Darius.

-Pop
Although overpaid for him, he is hardly overpaid. When he was signed, he wasn't signed for too much over the MLE

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mediocre man said:
I was referring to Miles.

7.5 million could get you Corey Maggette.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mediocre man said:
Although overpaid for him, he is hardly overpaid. When he was signed, he wasn't signed for too much over the MLE
I agree with you and I don't think he's overpaid. But, he does make all star type money and if he were traded along with the top pick, we could get an all star back and not end up paying more than we are currently do.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
trade theo

trade for yao then we could have yao skinner ha :D the two largest asians ever :D

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
So does this mean that since Le Bron, Bosh and D-wade were all stars that Vashon Lenard makes all star money?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
People here might not be interested, but I wonder if McGrady will become available again. Houston has really struggled, McGrady's been hurt, and the Rockets might prefer to get out from under his deal while adding a high lottery pick.

Would the Rockets take

Theo + Darius + our 2006 first rounder

for

McGrady + filler (a couple million)

?

I'm not sure it makes sense for Portland, but I guess I could see the Rockets being interested even if they have to take back some contract drek in Theo and some uncertainty with Miles.

Ed O.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
Ed O said:
People here might not be interested, but I wonder if McGrady will become available again. Houston has really struggled, McGrady's been hurt, and the Rockets might prefer to get out from under his deal while adding a high lottery pick.

Would the Rockets take

for

?

I'm not sure it makes sense for Portland, but I guess I could see the Rockets being interested even if they have to take back some contract drek in Theo and some uncertainty with Miles.

Ed O.
hrm...he is a bit of a gimp...

it's not a horrible trade from our standpoint, but I'd rather give up another player instead of the pick..

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Ed O said:

Would the Rockets take

for

?

Ed O.

Living in Houston now as I do, I can honestly say that people here seem to love the guy

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.