Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i just posted this in the Suns thread, but i thought i share it with everyone.

I bet a lot of you thought that when you first his name, you were like "thats an odd name." Well, after taken latin for one and half years. I have leanred that Amare in latin means "To love." So i thought i would let all you people who were wondering what it meant, a reason behind it.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PhatDaddy3100</b>!
Hey, i just posted this in the Suns thread, but i thought i share it with everyone.

I bet a lot of you thought that when you first his name, you were like "thats an odd name." Well, after taken latin for one and half years. I have leanred that Amare in latin means "To love." So i thought i would let all you people who were wondering what it meant, a reason behind it.
Are you sure that's where Stoudemire's name came from? I know amare is the latin infinitive of amo, meaning love, but I'm not sure he was necessarily named that because of it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, since 56% of the English language is latin, i can make an educated guess that that is where the name came from. I dont think that is specifically why his mother and father named him that. I am just saying what it means.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Yinka Dare = "shouldaplayed volleyballinstead"

·
Registered
493 Posts
Amare = no talent whatsoever bricklayer

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mattsanity</b>!
Nene means "Baby", in Portugese, according to Chuck Swirsky

So Amare has to mean "Adult"
but Nene is his nick, his real name is Maybyner
About Amare.. don't know... in the 50's there was a soccer player in Spain called Amaro..:D ..it'd be weird if the reason was the latin..

Amo <--- I love
Amas <--- You love
Amare <--- He/she loves

damned latin.... Cuius filius Marcus est? Cornelii filius Marcus est.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I don't think it's a latin name. It's probably an african name. I think it's actually quite interesting that some african americans who live in states like Georgia or Florida have kept their african names.

Kwame Nkrumah in case you haven' heard of him was the leader of the revolution in Ghana (an african country) in the '60s I remember correctly.
So when I heard about Kwame Brown I was wondering if he was african or if his ancestors had kept the tradition of giving their children african names.
Amare sounds like an african name as well so I wouldn't be surprised if his case is similar to that of Brown's.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
In italian AMARE is exactly "to love".. is the infinite verb
And the verbs are diffucult in italian language...

for example u have:
TO LOVE

I love
u love
she loves
we love
u love
they love
And this is what we have

AMARE

Io amo
tu ami
egli ama
noi amiamo
voi amate
essi amano

Amore is the love, it is a substantive.
Language teacher is in da house..

:D :D

Anyway I don't think is name derives from this thing.

taht language u talk about... latin is no more used for many many centuries:eek: that was spanish I think.... anyway I have to study latin at school and is the worst subject of the world... it's all grammar... and unuseless... and we never speak latin... we use it just to translate....I hate that thing..:dead:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Originally posted by <b>AMR</b>!

Amo <--- I love
Amas <--- You love
Amare <--- He/she loves
It's not completely correct:eek: :D
( the verb amare at the present... Latin of course)
Amo
amas
amat
amamus
amatis
amant

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Originally posted by <b>AMR</b>!
anyway I suck at latin...
u study that...? Poor u... and me too:cry:

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MagnusPinus</b>!

It's not completely correct:eek: :D
( the verb amare at the present... Latin of course)
Amo
amas
amat
amamus
amatis
amant
Yea, I was just going to correct him there with that. That's the declension of amo in the present tense, and amare is the indicitive infinitive.

Amo-I love
Amas-you(singular) love
Amat-he/she/it love
Amamus-We love
Amatis-you(plural) love
Amant-they love

And amo in the infinitive is amare because it's a first conjugation verb which all have -are endings, and amare means to love.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Like the song says...

When the moon hits your eye like a big-a pizza pie
That's amore
When the world seems to shine like you've had too much wine
That's amore

or...

When you swim in the creek
and an eel bites your cheek
That's a Moray

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rynobot</b>!
Well I knew amore meant "love" from watching Oz on HBO.
Isn't Oz a show about jail? How do you learn about... oh.

-Petey

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!

Isn't Oz a show about jail? How do you learn about... oh.

-Petey
It has nothing to do with what you are thinking about.

here a summary of how the word amore came up.

A crazy old man is in solitary confinement.
He asks for The Prision's pyscological Nurse
He keeps repeating what seems to be random words (amore, Sick, Broom, and street)
The Nurse tries to understand what he is saying and solves the puzzle. Syk-amore and Broom Street. This is where her husband was murdered.
The crazy guy was former cell mates with the man who could her husband, he killed him because he was stealing his tooth paste and ended up in Solitrary confinement.

This is in Season two on DVD. It is defintly worth renting.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Go latin people! we own. Yeah Latin is a lot of Memorization. its kind of fun, being unique. Anyways, i am saying the word "Amare" probably carried over from somewhere and since most langauges were derived from Latin, it probably means "To love" without his mom even knowing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts