Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Layden has a pretty terrible track record with the Knicks, obviously... but the past few days good things are just falling into him (or bad things, if you wanted the Knicks to have no choice but to rebuild... but if they had any intention of doing that, they would've kept Nene).

The one thing the Knicks really lack (especially now), is size and toughness.

Nailon gets waived, and seems like he'd be a tremendous fit for them (he'd also get a lot of minutes/opportunities there). The Bulls are supposedly offering Fizer for the injury exception, so if they can't find a better deal, they can always take that trade and gamble on the pure strength of Fizer.

Then there's Spree and Kurt Thomas, who regardless of what Knicks management are saying, are almost definately be shopped to anyone that'll listen. Especially with Spree, who I'd be shocked if he's with the Knicks after the trading deadline... and they don't have to worry about trading him for someone that can give minutes at the 3, because Nailon (if he's signed) can play there, as well as FAs they can pick up like Jim Jackson.

What does everyone else think they're going to do?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
if they could gete nailon and fizer, and onyl aprt with the injury exception that would be phenomenal. then they can deal thomas and spree for some kind of young talent (crawford, swift, etc...) suddenly they have team with some semblence of a future. maybe they could package ward, thomas and the injury exception for fizer, crawford, and/or robinson. maybe the bulls wont give up that much so, its ward thomas and the injury exception for some form of fizer, robinson and crawford, but its imperative to sign nailon

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Will Nailon want to play in NYC though?

-Petey

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I imagine so, even if only to sign a one year deal, have a very productive season (what other inside scorers do they have?) and cash out into a bigger contract next year.

Not to mention that don't they still have the midlevel (in addition to the injury) exception?

Except that...

How does the waivers rule work in basketball? Do all teams, in order of worst-records, get a chance to pick him up first? In which case, the Knicks are just at the mercy of teams worse than them last year. But I can't see him slipping past the Knicks, if that's the way it works.

·
Registered
851 Posts
To sign nailon before his waivers clear and thus get second shot at him after denver, the knicks would need to use their injury exception. They still have their mid-level exception and could use that to sign him next week if they want, however any team who still has their exception and had a worse record last year gets a shot at him first.
All in all I would say Nailon will probably not be a Knick and Layden will make some incredibly bad trade for an overpaid, underachieving roleplayer over the age of 30 with at least 5 years left on his contract. But thats just the last few years of bitternes talking...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If Scott Layden claims Lee Nailon off the waiver wire, he'll have to use his entire $4.6 million injury exception that he begged the league for. If he really wanted Lee Nailon, he could've signed him with part of the Knicks' mid-level exception two months ago. Nailon will NOT be claimed by the Knicks. If NOBODY claims him, he could end up signing with the Knicks, no doubt. But I doubt it. BOTTOM LINE: The Knicks WON'T use their injury exception to claim Nailon.

Like I said a week ago, the two best ways for the Knicks to use their injury exception are:

1 Marcus Fizer and Eddie Robinson for Kurt Thomas and the injury exception, and

2 Jason Williams and Lorenzen Wright for Charlie Ward, Travis Knight, and the injury exception.

I expect one of these two deals to happen sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!
1 Marcus Fizer and Eddie Robinson for Kurt Thomas and the injury exception, and

2 Jason Williams and Lorenzen Wright for Charlie Ward, Travis Knight, and the injury exception.

Rumors are having it that the Bulls are offering up Fizer for just the injury exception (it was reported by ESPN along with NY/NJ papers). I don't think they'd offer Kurt Thomas, unless they got Jamal Crawford back too.

And about the waiver wire, when I posted that, I wasn't 100% sure how it worked. However, if he does clear waivers, I think there's a very good chance that he signs with the Knicks (or the Heat).

·
Registered
6,537 Posts

what makes you the excpert? that has never been rumored. it has never been said in Memphis. it is really unfair contrary to your belief. and it IS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN SO SHUT YOUR MOUTH ABOUT IT! STOP MAKING UP TRADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
dude, he can expect whatever he wants, its his opinion. if it doesnt happen then he looks bad. its not a big deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts