Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Draft? Trade?

for the PG at least, it would be smart to get a veteran point guard who can provide stability and help mentor telfair....

Any thoughts on potential candidates?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Xericx said:
Draft? Trade?

for the PG at least, it would be smart to get a veteran point guard who can provide stability and help mentor telfair....

Any thoughts on potential candidates?
A agree 100%. You must get a veteran point gaurd who can spell Telfair against the crafty point-gaurds who will eat him alive from time to time next year.

Concerning the PF position, I'm not sold that SAR is going to be gone. If he is, then I'm fine playing Joel and Theo together at times, or going small and putting Khryapa at the 4.

I don't think we're really looking to make the playoffs next year so I'm not as concerned with making sure there are no holes in the roster.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
My favorite PG candidate would be Brevin Knight. He's a free agent this offseason and could possibly be had for the MLE.

He's steady, pass first and good enough to start if need be... would probably be a good guy for Telfair to play with as well as the rest of the team.

As for big men, that's easy... draft Bogut!

We're not so bad off up front as it is... we could certainly use improvement, but we have a fairly solid 3-man rotation at the PF/C spots with Randolph, Przybilla and Ratliff.

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Theo! said:
Darrell Armstrong
Along the right lines....but I thought he recently got into some legal trouble...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Blazer Ringbearer said:
My favorite PG candidate would be Brevin Knight. He's a free agent this offseason and could possibly be had for the MLE.

He's steady, pass first and good enough to start if need be... would probably be a good guy for Telfair to play with as well as the rest of the team.
If Damon were our starting PG, I'd be right behind you. However, two PG's who don't have much of an outside shot don't give us much option if a team decides to pack in a zone defense. I'd like a guy like Rafer Alston (aside from the problems), who can come in an hit the 3, giving our lineup a change of pace.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
I think we should take a gamble on Bobby Jackson....

But, if that fails, I would seriously consider bringing back Dan Dickau after the way he's played in New Orleans. He'd be a nice backup I think.

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tince said:
If Damon were our starting PG, I'd be right behind you. However, two PG's who don't have much of an outside shot don't give us much option if a team decides to pack in a zone defense. I'd like a guy like Rafer Alston (aside from the problems), who can come in an hit the 3, giving our lineup a change of pace.
Oh yeah...good point...I'd like Rafer here too....that'd be nice.

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NateBishop3 said:
I think we should take a gamble on Bobby Jackson....

But, if that fails, I would seriously consider bringing back Dan Dickau after the way he's played in New Orleans. He'd be a nice backup I think.
Dickau would be great, but wouldn't you rather have a veteran? Besides, would he want to come back? I mean, he's got the wheels in NO...although I imagine it would suck to live there versus home in Portland.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Brevin Knight, Bobby Jackson, Bobby Sura or Mike James would all be people i think we should take a look at....

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
I would bank on him wanting to come back to Portland. He really loved it here.

Then again, can you honestly see Bassy playing less than 40 minutes a game next year? I don't know if Dickau would be happy with 8 minutes a game.

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NateBishop3 said:
I would bank on him wanting to come back to Portland. He really loved it here.

Then again, can you honestly see Bassy playing less than 40 minutes a game next year? I don't know if Dickau would be happy with 8 minutes a game.
Yeah..its a fast ticket out of the league. He should just get his minutes with the Hornets.

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparantly Jmac pissed off Silas in Cleavland today.....

:biggrin:

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Xericx said:
Apparantly Jmac pissed off Silas in Cleavland today.....

:biggrin:
I think everybody pisses off Silas....

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Brevin Knight, Bobby Jackson, Bobby Sura or Mike James would all be people i think we should take a look at....
Of the four, I'd rank them:

1. Bobby Jackson - He would be a great pickup if we could land him. The only potential problem I see with him, is that he could end up out playing Telfair and earning a starting job. Then again, if we can play Damon and SG, we could play Jackson there too.

2. Mike James - Love his game, but I don't think Houston will let him go.

3. Bobby Sura - Nice change of pace to mix with Telfair.

4. Brevin Knight - Why would we want him? He can't shoot, and really hasn't done much of anything in his NBA career. Sure racks up the assists in a college-like offense, but outside of being a good defender, he wouldn't bring much to Portland.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
1. Bobby Jackson - He would be a great pickup if we could land him. The only potential problem I see with him, is that he could end up out playing Telfair and earning a starting job. Then again, if we can play Damon and SG, we could play Jackson there too.
We could play Jackson at the 2 as well.....Kind of like the Kings do now with him and Bibby....or what Minnesota does with Hudson/Cassell......

4. Brevin Knight - Why would we want him? He can't shoot, and really hasn't done much of anything in his NBA career. Sure racks up the assists in a college-like offense, but outside of being a good defender, he wouldn't bring much to Portland.
He's a great playmaker, along the league leaders in assists the past couple years....and also a good defender.......hmmmmm a point guard who actually makes things happen and isnt shoot first......thats a swell idea!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
He's a great playmaker, along the league leaders in assists the past couple years....and also a good defender.......hmmmmm a point guard who actually makes things happen and isnt shoot first......thats a swell idea!
A point guard that makes things happen? Considering six teams haven't had any problem letting him go, I don't think he makes too much happen.

The reason I'd like to have a quality backup for Telfair is for a change of pace. Knight is a decent playmaker and Telfair is probably just as good if not better at age 19.

Here's a swell idea, get a guard who can knock down an outside shot.

Knight has lead horrible teams for 90% of his career, and I don't see him being much help here in Portland.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Is BoJax a free agent or what? How are we going to get him? He'd be the best backup pg to go out and get. He'd make our bench excellent.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Tince said:
A point guard that makes things happen? Considering six teams haven't had any problem letting him go, I don't think he makes too much happen.

The reason I'd like to have a quality backup for Telfair is for a change of pace. Knight is a decent playmaker and Telfair is probably just as good if not better at age 19.

Here's a swell idea, get a guard who can knock down an outside shot.

Knight has lead horrible teams for 90% of his career, and I don't see him being much help here in Portland.

Jim Jackson has played for alot of teams and obviously he is a solid contributor.....

Damon has been hitting outside shots pretty well this season....

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I think Brevin Knight would be a decent addition to the club. Telfair has shown he can hit the jumper, but if you want a 3 point threat off of the bench at the 1 slot, we already have 2 of them on our roster right now in NVE and Damon. The problem is, neither would accept that role until hell froze over. Bobby Jackson seems like the perfect fit. We could always bring Dan Dickau back :whoknows: ? Damon Jones would also be a perfect fit, but I am not sure how long he is under contract.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts