Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
1. It is a well known fact the Hornets are happy with Dickau as their starting PG, they were willing to get rid of Davis after Dickau stepped in and started, and continued to improve. Don't count on him going anywhere.

2. Brevin Knight? I think we can do better.

3. Mike James and Bobby Jackson are both good fits, and have more size. Both players are capable of being instant offense type of players as well.

4. We should probably be worried about a starting PF as well as a backup. Go read about microfracture surgery, and the method of healing, and then look at the players that have got it. None of them have ever been quite the same again. I don't care if they don't have the same exact injury that Zach does, the method of surgery, and the healing method are the same. They are basically depending on turning a blood clot that heals into cartiledge. So it doesn't matter if you are getting it for one injury or another, the healing method is still the same.

as far as the point guard issue is concerned, i think we should make a play for earl watson...i honestly think that he is one of the more underrated pg's today, i have been following him for about 2 yrs now, he has made amazing progress in his game

to be quite honest, i do not particularly care for our entire frontcourt excluding the SF spot (so i dont like our PF's and C's)...yes, joel is playin very well but is he really the answer at C for a championship squad, i am gonna stick to my guns and continue to say that he would and should be an extremely solid backup C...zach's inability to produce against taller PF's which is becoming the ever increasingly trend and his potentially career hindering surgery and the rapidly declining production leaves very little for this blazer to be excited about

as for the positive side...i like the development of sebastian as a point guard straight out of high school...it is supposed to take these kids atleast a couple seasons to get their feet wet but he despite some mistakes is more than holding his own and is only getting better each and everytime he sets foot on the court....now for travis, i am VERY excited about this kid's potential...you can see his desire to be great and what about those hops!!!!! holy crap!....add the fact that he is our best shooter and due to his athleticism and vertical leap, he can pretty much get a good look at the basket whenever he decides he wants (kinda like rasheed in that matter)......lastly, i am excited about VK as a solid role player for many a year to follow...i can just imagine the whole russian bench mob T-shirts when he and Sergei are tag-teaming off the bench or for eachother if one should prove to be starter material

now the negative again....the negative is the fact that those 3 pieces (telfair, travis, and VK) are the only pieces I feel we have right now...yes our centers can block shots but what about making a few as well...maybe zach will prove me wrong and continue to improve his conditioning and weight training (could someone please introduce the kid to leg machines, frickin chicken legs)

hasoos said:
1. It is a well known fact the Hornets are happy with Dickau as their starting PG, they were willing to get rid of Davis after Dickau stepped in and started, and continued to improve. Don't count on him going anywhere.
I think you're misreading things. Baron Davis was moved (a) because Shinn is cheap, (b) because he wasn't happy there, (c) because Shinn is cheap, (d) because Byron Scott clashes with his players to prove he's doing something as a coach (you can't tell by the wins, that's for sure), and (e) Shinn is cheap.

I've heard Charlotte media members interviewed on Dickau and they point out the obvious: he's putting up good numbers as the team racks up losses, and he's still more of a 2 than a 1.

He might be back in New Orleans next year, but with the assortment of quality PGs coming out this year, at age 26 (27 in September) I'd be surprised if the Hornets made any sort of long-term committment to him as their starter.

4. We should probably be worried about a starting PF as well as a backup. Go read about microfracture surgery, and the method of healing, and then look at the players that have got it. None of them have ever been quite the same again. I don't care if they don't have the same exact injury that Zach does, the method of surgery, and the healing method are the same. They are basically depending on turning a blood clot that heals into cartiledge. So it doesn't matter if you are getting it for one injury or another, the healing method is still the same.
As I mentioned in another thread: I think you're taking an incorrect view of the procedure. DeShaun Foster bounced back just fine... he's one of the few young players to recently have the operation done as far as I can tell (of course, that's just from memory and a quick google search... I'm sure more have). The anticipated "full recovery" rate for NFL players is 80%.

From what I've read, the technique has improved in the past couple of years--this is still a pretty new way of approaching injuries for professional athletes--and I'd expect Zach to be just fine.

Ed O.

We will have to disagree on that one. While I hope Zach will end up ok, I think the record of basketball players having that surgery is very poor on recovery. Jamaal Mashburne-Ended his career. Antonio Mcdyess-nearly ended his career, has never been the same. Cweb-he is called a one legged player now. Remember how good Laphonso Ellis was before he had this procedure? No longer in the league. The only player I can think of that has even come close to a fairly speedy recovery, and it took him a year was Jason Kidd, and it really took him over a year to do so.

Re: What are we going to do for backup PG and onPF next year?

Hey guys, Kings fan here. Our GM has stated that he will pick up the option on Bobby's contract, but I wouldn't be suprised if he was traded this summer. Would you guys give up Monya or Khryapa for him? I've only seen Khryapa play a few games, but ever since this past draft, his and Monya's name have stuck out. If, and I hope, the Kings trade Peja, that leaves a SF spot open. Bobby would be an excellent mentor for Telfair.

Re: What are we going to do for backup PG and onPF next year?

I don't know if I'd trade either Russian right now. Not because itwouldn't be far, but because I love the thought of the Russian duo comming off of the bench. I guess I wouldn't be opposed or against some sort of deal like that for Bobby. I'd rather trade Monia then Viktor from what I have seen

MazzyStar said:
Where is Monia anyway? Are you guys bringing him in next year?

Do the Kings have anyone you guys would want?
He's still under contract with CSKA Moscow and they have a month or two left to play this year. Yes, he'll be out of his contract by next year.

The only player I really like off of Sacramento's roster is Brad Miller and I'm guessing he's not available. Maurice Evans is okay too if we don't have a backup SG lined up for next year.

MazzyStar said:
Where is Monia anyway? Are you guys bringing him in next year?

Do the Kings have anyone you guys would want?
Monia is with his Russian team right now. I am pretty sure he will come over next season. As for Sacramento wanting any of our players, I don't know what Geoff Petrie is looking for. Portland is obviously not willing to deal Zach,Telfiar, or Outlaw for Bobby. Maybe a swap for Nick Van Exel? Possibly Ruben Patterson or Derek Anderson? Thsoe 3 seem like theb est fit for a trade for Jackson.

zagsfan20 said:
Jim Jackson has played for alot of teams and obviously he is a solid contributor.....

Damon has been hitting outside shots pretty well this season....
Look at the record of the teams Jim Jackson has contributed on as of late and look at the records for Brevin Knight. He hasn't got significant minutes on a decent team in a long time. The difference between the two is that Jim Jackson chooses to sign short contracts because he likes switching teams and not having to go to training camp. Knight is put on the unprotected list during every expansion draft.

I'm not sure what Damon shooting has to do with Brevin Knight. Yes, Damon demands defenses to guard him out on the perimeter and Knight doesn't, but that doesn't help your case for Knight. Knight doesn't do much of anything Telfair can't do. We already have a roster full of players with similiar skill sets, why add another similiar piece?

Next you'll be saying we should get a slashing SF that can't hit an outside jumpshot to backup Darius and Ruben. Let's get a sharp shooting backup PG.

I dont think we should trade victor or monya and I hope the blazers hold onto them, solid players is what the blazers have been missing, getting rid of them would be unwise.

I hope not but i think DA will be our backup next year knowing the incompitance of Nash

Knight is put on the unprotected list during every expansion draft.
I think theres been only one expansion draft since Knight has been in the league...

zagsfan20 said:
I think theres been only one expansion draft since Knight has been in the league...
What I said still holds true.

And he still isn't a good option as a backup point guard.

I kind of think that since there is so little actual skill in the backup PG department in the league, and since most quality back ups would not come to pdx with the youth movement going on, I kind of think we whould look for veteran leadership at other positions (especially with telfair so mature for his age) and draft a backup PG. This draftclass is very PG heavy and I think that with our second pick there will be several PG's to choose from that could fill in the 5-8 min that we need. Also, DA, Miles, and even VK can handle small backup minutes at PG. This way we can continue with the youth movement, and hopefully find our long term PG packup.

As far as PF, Theo, Miles, VK and Outlaw can all handle small minutes, so I am not worried about this spot. Backup positions become a real issue when a team is trying to make a solid push into the post season, and I see that as one more year away.

Tince said:
Could he hit the outside shot? I can't remember.
Not especially well, but he didn't shoot much. He had one game (in Boston?) where he was on fire in the fourth, and I've seen him play reasonably well for Indiana this season. There might be better options out there, but Gill would provide reasonable preformance without costing much money or requiring too much playing time. Then there is always the chance he significantly improves like Joel or Dickau this year.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.