Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Team Prediction = 43 wins; we remain a fast-tempo, more offensively oriented team. We marginally improve the defense thanks to better size, defensive rebounding, and experience up front.

I think we have potential to do better than this; for example, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we reach close to 50 wins (although, hitting 50+ wins would definitely surprise me, in a good way of course). We could also of course sink down to 35 wins again, though I don't really see that happening unless we have major injury problems.

Health is always a concern, and especially this year I'm a bit paranoid about good health. Deng's tibia, Salmon's groin, Miller's age in general...if we start losing guys to injury, we are seriously screwed, as most teams would be.

Individually I predict (again, assuming injury is not an issue):

-- Rose elevates his game on both ends; better defense and posts 21 ppg, 7 assist type of numbers. Makes the all-star game as well.

-- Salmons scores a steady 16 ppg with good defense. Unfortunately I see his percentages dropping a bit, but still decent. 45% FG and 37% from 3-pt range.

-- Hinrich I think will have a great year, as so much pressure is off him now. He will be all-NBA defense and post solid efficiency scoring wise. Remember, this guy didn't have much wear & tear last season and is right in his prime (or should be at least).

-- Deng...I honestly have NO idea what to expect. He could have a great bounce back season, but could also flop.

-- James Johnson is also hard to predict. He's so talented but not many mid-1st rounders contribute as rookies. I would say a modest 8 ppg, 5 reb numbers in 20-24 minutes is reasonable. He'll mainly be a spark plug off the bench I think.

-- Tyrus Thomas should at the very least match his production from last year. I personally think he could build from it slightly. Let's say 12 ppg, 8.5 reb, 2.5 blocks in about 30 minutes.

-- Noah will have a solid year IMO as a rebounder and defender. I think he's learned alot by now and showed he is ready to bust out. I'll say 9 ppg, 11 reb, 2.0 blocks in about 32 minutes.

-- Miller should be steady and predictable as always, even if he's slowing down a bit. 10 ppg, 7 reb, 3 assists in hopefully 25 minutes or so.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
My prediction for the team: 47-51 wins and 4th or 5th spot in the East.

Rose: 21ppg, 5 rpg, 7.5 apg
Noah: 10ppg, 11 rpg, 1 bpg
Deng: 17ppg, 7 rpg, 33 3pt%
Salmons: 18 ppg, 5 rpg, 38 3pt%
Hinrich: 11 ppg, 5 apg, 40 3pt%
Thomas: 12 ppg, 7 rpg, 1.5 bpg
Miller: 8 ppg, 5 rpg
Johnson: 5 ppg, 3 rpg

And I guess this will be the 8 man rotation for the year.

Who am I missing?

Taj, Pargo, Hunter, James, Gray, yeah, those guys are not going to matter much, unless Taj outworks Tyrus.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have no faith

My prediction for the team: 47-51 wins and 4th or 5th spot in the East.
You're really living up to your name here. I predict 39 - 41 wins, barely make the playoffs, first round exit.

What can I say? I have no faith in these fools. But on a brighter note, I think Rose will be very entertaining this year.

P.S.: Who gon' replace Gordon's 20+ ppg?

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Re: I have no faith

You're really living up to your name here. I predict 39 - 41 wins, barely make the playoffs, first round exit.

What can I say? I have no faith in these fools. But on a brighter note, I think Rose will be very entertaining this year.

P.S.: Who gon' replace Gordon's 20+ ppg?
Good to see you around Taco man!

Yeah, even I think I'm going out on a limb with that many wins. But I have a good feeling for this year. This is Derrick's team, now.

But after Derrick, I'm thinking Noah is going to be the biggest difference-maker.

·
Sunlight in a distant sky
2,810 Posts
Hello Men

We're back again.

OK...I am pinning a 46 win season on the Bulls

The Defense

If this team is serious about defense and is serious about Derrick Rose truly becoming its leader this year then Derrick needs to lead the defense from the perimeter- both by way of example and by becoming more directional/assertive

Everyone can talk about or poor anchor defense last year and that we were 28th in the league in defensive rebounding or whatever but this was due to a number of things which I am not prepared to lump squarely on Jo and Ty's shoulders ( there isn't much space there after all right bizkit ? )

As the Chairman said - we had a novice Coach. The constant switching defense frequently had our bigs, Joakim in particular , way out of position. Then , our perimeter defense just wasn't up to snuff in the first place and quite frankly Derrick was just awful last year ( defensively ). Then when you consider we had a 2nd year Center who wasn't in condition until December and a 3rd year PF still learning the game - and for the fact that both of them were needing to get stronger then yeah they are essentially the summation of the reasons.

But to address this issue , Derrick in being the leader must direct the defense as well as the offense. We know he can run an offense. Now let's see him run a defense with support and commitment from Kirk, Salmons and Deng

If these 4 guys are committed to the perimeter then this commitment with Derrick's god given gifts and instincts that should make him an elite defender ( we saw more of this come out in the Boston series ) ....Lu's length , Salmons's intelligence and deceptiveness and Kirk's technique and efffort.....then our defense should all start here that makes things easier for Joakim and Tyrus

Beyond Derrick's attrocious 1st year ( defensively ) we were outsized and mismatched out on the perimeter last year. But this year with genuine size and length at the 2 and 3 spots with Salmons and Deng capable of being genuine 2 way players ( although Lu more so than Salmons IMO ) On top of this Lu and Kirk have apparently put on muscle / strength and we know Derrick is as strong as hell anyway

So if the perimeter holds up , hopefully we can abandon this switching defense and Jo and Tyrus can play straight up more , focus on their defensive rebounding positions and help each other out on double team /weak side help if they have strength mismatches on 1 on 1's . One thing for sure is they shouldn't be getting beat by quick bigs very regularly.

Probably one the biggest keys to our defense is the offense. If we're going to push and put teams back on their heels then our transition defense simply has to get a whole lot better. And a significant part of this is simply effort in getting back and then being smart enough about how and where to position yourself in getting back on teams that are trying to fast break you.

Derrick Rose

20ppg, 8apg, 4rpg, 46% FG% 80% FT , 1.5spg

Allstar

John Salmons

16ppg, 3apg, 4rpg, 42% FG% 36% 3 point shooting.

Kirk Hinrich

10ppg, 4apg, 3rpg,40% FG% , 38% 3 point shooting , 1.5spg

Luol Deng

16ppg, 2apg, 7rpg, 45% FG% 1spg, 1bpg

Tyrus Thomas

14ppg, 9rpg, 1.5apg, 1spg , 2bpg, 45% FG% , 75% FT %

James Johnson

8ppg, 5rpg, 2apg, 42% FG%

Joakim Noah

10ppg, 13rpg, 2apg, 1spg, 2bpg , 50% FG% , 72% FT%

Brad Miller

8ppg, 7rpg, 3apg, 48% FG%, 80% FT%

The team still puts up 102 points a contest and gives up 99 for defensive FG% of 44% which puts it in the top third of defensive teams in the league when you also take into account shotblocking , steals and defensive rebounding categories

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Hello Men

We're back again.

OK...I am pinning a 46 win season on the Bulls

The Defense

If this team is serious about defense and is serious about Derrick Rose truly becoming its leader this year then Derrick needs to lead the defense from the perimeter- both by way of example and by becoming more directional/assertive

Everyone can talk about or poor anchor defense last year and that we were 28th in the league in defensive rebounding or whatever but this was due to a number of things which I am not prepared to lump squarely on Jo and Ty's shoulders ( there isn't much space there after all right bizkit ? )

As the Chairman said - we had a novice Coach. The constant switching defense frequently had our bigs, Joakim in particular , way out of position. Then , our perimeter defense just wasn't up to snuff in the first place and quite frankly Derrick was just awful last year ( defensively ). Then when you consider we had a 2nd year Center who wasn't in condition until December and a 3rd year PF still learning the game - and for the fact that both of them were needing to get stronger then yeah they are essentially the summation of the reasons.

But to address this issue , Derrick in being the leader must direct the defense as well as the offense. We know he can run an offense. Now let's see him run a defense with support and commitment from Kirk, Salmons and Deng

If these 4 guys are committed to the perimeter then this commitment with Derrick's god given gifts and instincts that should make him an elite defender ( we saw more of this come out in the Boston series ) ....Lu's length , Salmons's intelligence and deceptiveness and Kirk's technique and efffort.....then our defense should all start here that makes things easier for Joakim and Tyrus

Beyond Derrick's attrocious 1st year ( defensively ) we were outsized and mismatched out on the perimeter last year. But this year with genuine size and length at the 2 and 3 spots with Salmons and Deng capable of being genuine 2 way players ( although Lu more so than Salmons IMO ) On top of this Lu and Kirk have apparently put on muscle / strength and we know Derrick is as strong as hell anyway

So if the perimeter holds up , hopefully we can abandon this switching defense and Jo and Tyrus can play straight up more , focus on their defensive rebounding positions and help each other out on double team /weak side help if they have strength mismatches on 1 on 1's . One thing for sure is they shouldn't be getting beat by quick bigs very regularly.

Probably one the biggest keys to our defense is the offense. If we're going to push and put teams back on their heels then our transition defense simply has to get a whole lot better. And a significant part of this is simply effort in getting back and then being smart enough about how and where to position yourself in getting back on teams that are trying to fast break you.

Derrick Rose

20ppg, 8apg, 4rpg, 46% FG% 80% FT , 1.5spg

Allstar

John Salmons

16ppg, 3apg, 4rpg, 42% FG% 36% 3 point shooting.

Kirk Hinrich

10ppg, 4apg, 3rpg,40% FG% , 38% 3 point shooting , 1.5spg

Luol Deng

16ppg, 2apg, 7rpg, 45% FG% 1spg, 1bpg

Tyrus Thomas

14ppg, 9rpg, 1.5apg, 1spg , 2bpg, 45% FG% , 75% FT %

James Johnson

8ppg, 5rpg, 2apg, 42% FG%

Joakim Noah

10ppg, 13rpg, 2apg, 1spg, 2bpg , 50% FG% , 72% FT%

Brad Miller

8ppg, 7rpg, 3apg, 48% FG%, 80% FT%

The team still puts up 102 points a contest and gives up 99 for defensive FG% of 44% which puts it in the top third of defensive teams in the league when you also take into account shotblocking , steals and defensive rebounding categories
I wish I had written this. :)

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Hello Men

Yeah, this issue is a big one, no pun intended. We have legit two way players at those two positions, and we hope, Derrick becomes the third that shores up the perimeter.

But we have to acknowledge that neither Tyrus nor Joakim are two way players just yet, and not yet proven even to be one way players.

But if they get even close, we'll be alright and ready to welcome a superstar into our midst by 2010.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Absolutely, it is. I'll take that from our center position 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.
Well yeah I would take that from Noah but are we so used to mediocrity that a decent season would be called a "break out" year?

A breakout season for me when talking about Noah is him averaging around 14-15 ppg, I know he can rebound we SHOULD expect him to be a good rebounder since hes very average at everything else.

Hes going to get the minutes to be a top 10 rebounder so thats a given, hes also going to get the minutes to at the very least put up double digit points every game and he doesn't do that I dont know how you can call a 9-11 season breakout.

·
Super Moderator
14,320 Posts
Well yeah I would take that from Noah but are we so used to mediocrity that a decent season would be called a "break out" year?

A breakout season for me when talking about Noah is him averaging around 14-15 ppg, I know he can rebound we SHOULD expect him to be a good rebounder since hes very average at everything else.

Hes going to get the minutes to be a top 10 rebounder so thats a given, hes also going to get the minutes to at the very least put up double digit points every game and he doesn't do that I dont know how you can call a 9-11 season breakout.
I guess I disagree with the sentiment that someone has to fundamentally change the way they play the game, or what their strengths are to have a break out year.... can't a guy just get better at the things he already does well? We didn't draft Noah to be a scorer... we drafted him to be a defensive anchor, leader, and energy guy... if he's among the top 5 rebounders in the league, I think that's a sign of him fulfilling his potential.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I guess I disagree that with the sentiment that someone has to fundamentally change the way they play the game, or what their strengths are to have a break out year.... can't a guy just get better at the things he already does well? We didn't draft Noah to be a scorer... we drafted him to be a defensive anchor, leader, and energy guy... if he's among the top 5 rebounders in the league, I think that's a sign of him fulfilling his potential.
I think asking for 10 ppg and up isn't really asking for a fundamental change, and NO team should ever draft a player because they want an energy guy who can rebound those are wasted picks.

Smart teams dont waste a top 10 pick on a good rebounder, rebounder's are easy to find. Noah needs to turn into a top 10 defender and top ten rebounder to be considered to have a break out year.

They drafted him because thats what they expect him to max out to be, so hopefully he can live up to those expectations.

·
Super Moderator
14,320 Posts
I think asking for 10 ppg and up isn't really asking for a fundamental change, and NO team should ever draft a player because they want an energy guy who can rebound those are wasted picks.

Smart teams dont waste a top 10 pick on a good rebounder, rebounder's are easy to find. Noah needs to turn into a top 10 defender and top ten rebounder to be considered to have a break out year.

They drafted him because thats what they expect him to max out to be, so hopefully he can live up to those expectations.
I agree that the defense has to come along with the rebounding, no debate there.

The scoring, eh... I guess you can focus on his draft slot and come up with some acceptable point per game number... just seems sort of arbitrary to me. And weren't you saying 14-15 ppg? Not 10? That's what I was responding to, at least.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I agree that the defense has to come along with the rebounding, no debate there.

The scoring, eh... I guess you can focus on his draft slot and come up with some acceptable point per game number... just seems sort of arbitrary to me. And weren't you saying 14-15 ppg? Not 10? That's what I was responding to, at least.
I would personally call 14-15 ppg breakout but a 10 and 10 season should be expected at the very least.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts