Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't think we can get much from him if we traded him. he has been hurt just about every season he's been in the nba, and is a 1 dimensional center. i think we are stuck with him. anybody else agree with me on this? i think our only option is to include the pick for a sg. boston might do it since they need a defensive minded center, and already have a center who can score in laef lafrenz.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Hap said:
I think we're stuck with him, and thats not a terrible thing.

Also, I think if he was "waived", he'd be snatched up in a heart beat. But alas, that aint'a happenin.

I disagree with you Hap. I think there are a lot of teams....especialy in the East that would like to have Theo. His contract isn't the most desirable thing in the world, but let's say we take back a contract of equal horribleness, but a possition that we need help at. Let's say Finley, or another good shooting guard.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
mediocre man said:
I disagree with you Hap. I think there are a lot of teams....especialy in the East that would like to have Theo. His contract isn't the most desirable thing in the world, but let's say we take back a contract of equal horribleness, but a possition that we need help at. Let's say Finley, or another good shooting guard.
well, I agree that there are teams that would want him. I meant we're "stuck" with him because I don't necessarily know of any teams that would take him.

I like theo, would like to see him stay, but I wouldn't be opposed to trading him. I once was blind (Joel wouldn't be as good) but now I see (he's more than good enough).

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
With a one dimensional player like Thoe, you'd like to hide his weaknesses, mainly his offense. The Blazers have been poor offensively all year, and the lack of outside shooters hurts Theo. He's a guy who can get you a few tip ins, or maybe knock down a 12 footer if you leave him alone, but he's worthless with his back to the basket (or facing up for that matter) If the Blazers had a good SG, a healthy Zach + Miles, I could see him contributing more. When he has played, he's looked akward and uncomfortable--I think the Blazers were asking too much from him early in the season playing all those minutes. Plus, when he's been healthy, they've had him doing some things he's not used to offensively, like pick-and-rolls. That's not his game. I could still see him being effective, but they have to get him back to what he does well--defense and blocking shots. We knew when he signed that contract he wasn't an offensive talent. Joel P is a little more versatile than Theo on offense, but they have him doing some strange stuff too. Those guys shouldn't be handling the ball 20' + outside the basket. I'm not knocking Joel--he's been great, but he's not exactly Sabonis-like with the ball.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I'm still not convinced that the Blazers will be able to hold on to Joel and, even if they might be able to, I'm not convinced that they wouldn't want to include him in some other trade while he's looking so good. Given those two possibilities, I think having Theo around for the next few years will be far better than not having him. And, even if Joel does stick around beyond next year, there may well be times that: he's in foul trouble; there's sufficient scoring from positions 1 to 3 that, at least for stretches, Joel and Theo might be in the game at the same time; Joel gets hurt; etc. Theo's no spring chicken but I think he still has a chance to be a valuable part of the team, as long as "headquarters" doesn't completely tick him off with silly fines. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Am I the only person who remembers watching Theo's solid post-up skills back with teh 76ers?

What happened to that aspect of his game? I remember him being quite good.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
In order to get out from under Theo's contract we'd have to pair him with a near all-star power forward.

Or at least that's what the Hawks had to do.

Theo's older and his contract is longer and uglier than it was when Portland acquired him. We might need to throw in a draft pick, too.

Ed O.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PorterIn2004 said:
I'm still not convinced that the Blazers will be able to hold on to Joel and, even if they might be able to, I'm not convinced that they wouldn't want to include him in some other trade while he's looking so good. Given those two possibilities, I think having Theo around for the next few years will be far better than not having him. And, even if Joel does stick around beyond next year, there may well be times that: he's in foul trouble; there's sufficient scoring from positions 1 to 3 that, at least for stretches, Joel and Theo might be in the game at the same time; Joel gets hurt; etc. Theo's no spring chicken but I think he still has a chance to be a valuable part of the team, as long as "headquarters" doesn't completely tick him off with silly fines. :rolleyes:
so in other words. 11.3 million dollars for a 1 dimensional backup is what you are saying. i pass on that one, as dale davis was the exact same type of player.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Hmm....Wow...

I don't think Theo has high trade value, but I also don't think he is near worthless in trade either, and if POR has to offer a 1st round pick and\or a young player to go with him, I'd categorize that as near worthless trade value. I think several people are underestimating his worth.

IS he one-dimensional? Pretty much, though he sees very few touches. He is a porr rebounder but an excellent shot blocker, I think the two sort of go hand in hand, but Theo is a worse rebounder than Pryzbilla is, who is nearly as prolific of a shotblocker.

Theo is overpaid, but relatively to other centers I dont think he is grossly so. The biggest knock against him is injuries, he needs to prove he can stay healthy. I think the market on him is limited, but he is tradeable IMO. Just don't expect anything of significant value in return for him. I could see a 1 for 2 or 2 for 3 trade involving Theo, for some role players with as many\fewer years on them.

[HOU]
Weatherspoon & Mutmbo or Norris & a 2005 pick

[IND]
Bender & A.Johnson for Theo & Filler

[MIN]
Olowokandi & Hassell (or another player)

[NY]
Housten & a pick for Theo & Ruben (or DA?)
or
Hardaway for Theo & Filler

[ORL]
Theo\Filler for Christie & Battie

[SA]
For Mohammed & Filler

Actually I think Theo could net a little more on most of these deals, IMO these are the low end of the spectrum. Actually NY could be a perfect trading partner IMO.

Theo has 3yrs left, DA & Ruben 2 - Housten has 2...I'd be happy with a return of Housten and SA pick or Hardaway and a pick for Theo & filler.

Housten makes sense to me to. Theo would be a great b\u to Yao, Mutumbo is done IMO. Weatherspoon has 1yr left, NOrris 2, both could fill b\u roles temporarily at PF and PG w\o having to address that via FA, and save 1 full & 1 1/2 year off of Theo's deal, a 2005 pick or future pick IMO would make this deal make more sense from POR perspective.

The point is, IMO veteran teams would have interest in a guy like Theo, particularly if you aren't asking for the moon & stars. Remember it was only last offseason that PHX allegedly tlaked about Joe Johnson and Marion in a deal for Theo (Don't think they would do so now however...playing too well), I don't think Theo has damaged his value\worth that significantly, nore does the contract damage his value significantly. Being tied into Theo for three more years is not a negative IMO, not as much as 5 years would be for example, I think he has three solid years left.

You put Theo on a vetran playoff team, where he can play his role (shotblocking), next to a powerful inside presence (HOU - Ming, SA - Duncan, ORL - Howard, IND -O'Neal, MIN -GArnett, NY - ???) and he would thrive IMO.

Theo is a perfect example IMO, of a player who is not properly suited to play on a young team. He is a veteran team\role player.

I think POR SHOULD and WILL be able to trade Theo AND get value for him. I think his play this year & contract have had a MINIMAL effect on his worth.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
great post, KMURPH.

Theo is a perfect example IMO, of a player who is not properly suited to play on a young team. He is a veteran team\role player.
true. he's really in the Abdur-Rahim category, in that respect.

of the bad longer contracts we've had in the past few years (Stoudamire, Kemp, Anderson, Miles, Ratliff, Wallace) he's probably the most palateable. even in Portland he's a great guy to bring in off the bench for Zach and Joel.

he's like Mutombo or Sabonis at the end of their careers. you use him right for 10-20 minutes a night and count yourself lucky he's not a Vladimir Stepania or Greg Ostertag. of course we're paying way too much for a guy in that role, but there really aren't that many quality centers coming off the bench in the NBA.

Ratliff is a little like Ruben Patterson too. you wouldn't mind trading him, but you can always use him somewhere on your bench. he's not nearly the important bargaining chip that Damon, SAR and NVE were supposed to be.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Why was Atlanta able to get to little for Theo? They had him on the block for the better part of a year, and he had to be packaged with SAR in order to get an expiring contract.

(It's conceivable that SAR had to be packaged with Theo, but I think that SAR is a better player and was more worthy of his salary.)

I agree that Theo can be a nice piece on a good team... I wish we had him instead of Dale Davis when Sabonis was still around. The fact is, though, that the guy is getting injured in a variety of ways at an alarming rate and he makes as much as almost any center in the NBA (it'll be interesting to see if Zydrunas will get as much as Theo did).

His age, fragility and contract status negate his worth as a premium shotblocker, IMO, and there's a chance that he's actually going to be a negative (like DA, although a better player with a bigger contract) and hard to move.

Maybe we can find a quality team that needs another big that would be willing to move an expiring contract to take on Theo's deal, but I'm not sure that we'll be able to get much more than that.

Ed O.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
theo and nve?

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I could see us not trading him over the summer, but hoping that he stays healthy and then we could showcase him to a degree next year, looking for a suitor before the trade deadline. If Theo is healthy, I think he is worth his contract, almost. the problem is he is never healthy. If the blazers can get him healthy and playing 20 min a game, I would not be surprised if nex year we could send him to a contender for an expiring contract.

If he is healthy.

Then we would be one step closer to figuring out a way to keep the Prize JP.

Hey, I just came up with that as a new nickname for joel. The Prize. I like it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts