Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Turn UNC into a football school.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"couldn't"--as in past tense....Mack Brown WAS the coach at UNC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
Well at UNC they didnt have good players when Mack Brown was there. You have to have good talent to be able to recruite the top players to your school.

Mack Brown is now able to recruite top players to his school because he has good players.

None of the top players that just graduated from high school want to play at a bad school with sucky players. They want to play at a top school where the top talent is.

Shouldnt this be in the football forum?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, you are intelligent. If you had any sense at all, you would have realized that the original post was a joke, slamming Matt Doherty. But since you seem to be lacking in the sense department, I will continue this conversation....

In college sports, recruiting is part of coaching. You cannot use talent as an excuse. If you could, just about every crappy coach in the country would keep his job because he could always use lack of talent as an excuse and say its just too hard to recruit good players to come in and play with the poorly talented players.

Yes, it is difficult to build powerhouse program at a school that is not traditionally a good football school, but it can be done. Lack of talent should never be a coaches excuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,585 Posts
Wow, guys. It's pretty sad that that went over your heads. :|

Even though a couple people took away the mood... that was a good one :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:


Truth, even though I know it's frustrating, please avoid making fun of others' intelagince (sic) level in the future. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
WTF, is another guy jealous of the success that Carolina has had. Hell, every team has some off years and to blame last year on Dohtery is absurd. Dohtery has proven time and time again that he can recruit. He signed Chris Thomas in Notre Dame who wasn't nearly as highly ranked as Jonathan Hargett, Carlos Hurt and others and Thomas outplayed all of them significantly last year. Jawad Williams was a McDonald's All American and both Scott and Manuel were top 40 prospects. Florida was after Manuel very hard and Dohtery backed off his recruitment of Hodge after Manuel signed. Last year, he signed three top 10 players in the nation, something no other school did. He started recruiting Raymond Felton long before he was the top point guard in his class and was a borderline top 25 recruit. Matt D has an excellent eye for talent, their is no question about that.

Last years team wouldn't have been great regardless of who coached. Lang and Capel didn't develop into All-Americans liked we hoped. The entire class of Brian Morrison, Adam Boone, Neil Fingleton and Jason Parker didn't work out and Joe Forte had left early for the pros. Those are difficult odds for any coach to face. You guys weren't dogging Dohtery two years ago when he was coming off his coach of the year award.

So, The Truth who is your team?

And BTW, why is this in the NBA folder?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
Originally posted by CoolHandLuke
Wow, guys. It's pretty sad that that went over your heads. :|

Even though a couple people took away the mood... that was a good one :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:


Truth, even though I know it's frustrating, please avoid making fun of others' intelagince (sic) level in the future. ;)
ok i get it now. It had to look over it 8 times and think about that before I got it. My bad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,590 Posts
Originally posted by The Truth
Wow, you are intelligent. If you had any sense at all, you would have realized that the original post was a joke, slamming Matt Doherty. But since you seem to be lacking in the sense department, I will continue this conversation....

In college sports, recruiting is part of coaching. You cannot use talent as an excuse. If you could, just about every crappy coach in the country would keep his job because he could always use lack of talent as an excuse and say its just too hard to recruit good players to come in and play with the poorly talented players.

Yes, it is difficult to build powerhouse program at a school that is not traditionally a good football school, but it can be done. Lack of talent should never be a coaches excuse.

talking about me???of course I know Matt Doherty is the coach of UNC Basketball.:upset:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I never said you didn't know Doherty is the coach at UNC, I was telling you that Mack Brown used to be the head coach for UNC.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by UNCStateGuy
WTF, is another guy jealous of the success that Carolina has had. Hell, every team has some off years and to blame last year on Dohtery is absurd. Dohtery has proven time and time again that he can recruit. He signed Chris Thomas in Notre Dame who wasn't nearly as highly ranked as Jonathan Hargett, Carlos Hurt and others and Thomas outplayed all of them significantly last year. Jawad Williams was a McDonald's All American and both Scott and Manuel were top 40 prospects. Florida was after Manuel very hard and Dohtery backed off his recruitment of Hodge after Manuel signed. Last year, he signed three top 10 players in the nation, something no other school did. He started recruiting Raymond Felton long before he was the top point guard in his class and was a borderline top 25 recruit. Matt D has an excellent eye for talent, their is no question about that.

Last years team wouldn't have been great regardless of who coached. Lang and Capel didn't develop into All-Americans liked we hoped. The entire class of Brian Morrison, Adam Boone, Neil Fingleton and Jason Parker didn't work out and Joe Forte had left early for the pros. Those are difficult odds for any coach to face. You guys weren't dogging Dohtery two years ago when he was coming off his coach of the year award.

So, The Truth who is your team?

And BTW, why is this in the NBA folder?



Okay, first of all, I never said anything about Doherty being a bad recruiter. The whole thing about bad recruiting was in response to someone who didn't get my joke who said that Mack Brown didn't succeed at UNC because it was impossible for him to recruit.

But anyhow, I know the Heels didn't have much talent last year, but that still does not excuse the job that Doherty did. How about the home losses to Davidson and Hampton??? How about a one point home win over Binghamton, who just became a division 1 school?? How about winning only 4 games in an average ACC???

I know that UNC didn't have the talent to compete for a national title last year, but they did have a hell of a lot more talent than Davidson, Hampton, and Binghamton. You absolutely cannot excuse the job Doherty did last year, and I haven't even mentioned the fact that 3 players transferred out of the program, and two of his best young talents threatened to transfer and publicly criticized him. Not to even mention the negative comments Forte had about Doherty.

You want to know my team? My team is Duke, but even if I wasn't a Duke fan, I would realize that Doherty is a poor coach.

The sad thing is that Tarheads passed up on Larry Brown for Doherty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Well . . . I'll try not to turn this into a Duke/Carolina fight but here goes.

I don't think Dohtery is a great coach, yet. In fact, I willing to say that Coach K and several others are better coaches than him right now. But remember things take time. Coach K didn't come in and dominate either. Yeah, I do think if Dean was still on the bench, we would have won some more games last year. But, you also have to remember that Dohtery didn't recruit a lot of these players and a lot of them didn't fit his style. Capel and Lang are half-court players while Dohtery likes more up tempo ball. It is never good when you have a conflict in playing styles between your coach and your two best players. Again, Dohtery certainly did look like he knew what he was doing two years ago on the sidelines.

The three transfers are not as bad as they seem. Fingleton leaving was for the best for both sides. It was mutual and it was on good terms. No arguements their. Brian Morrison has a ton of potential and a lot of people still think he could have been a good one at Carolina. Still though, he left on good terms and it was described as a mutual decision. A lot of people feel that Morrison leaving was a benefit to Carolina. Adam Boone is a different story. He didn't leave on great terms (thanks to his dad) and his absent has left us a hole at the backup point guard spot. If Felton stays around for at least 2 years and Melvin Scott can continue to improve his point skills, Boone transfer could work out for the better. Of the three, I would only like to have Morrison back. Although, Boone gave us a stable point guard, I wouldn't want him sticking around with that negative attitude.

Joe Forte is an idiot. He wore a Lakers jersey while playing with the Celtics. I wish him the best and I am proud that he was a Heel but I don't dispute his questionable comments and actions. Besides not every coach can get along with every player. Ask Chris Burgess.

The ACC was average last year? What is it this year then? You guys and Maryland were loaded last year (both were top 3 teams, IMO). NC State and Wake Forest were both good as. Sure, FSU and Clemson sucked but that's a regular.

I hope the Dook fans continue to take their shots now because we will be back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
recruiting

First of all, if recruits only went to schools that already had good players then the same teams would be good every year. For the most part the same teams are good every year, but there are always new teams in the mix and the same team is never on top for more than a year or two.
 

·
Kwisatz Haderach
Joined
·
31,773 Posts
It was a good joke, had me laughing for quite abit.

But don't blame Doherty, the reason that UNC doesn't have the type of talent it's used to, is because Bill Guthridge was an awful recruiter. He was used to being the guy, who worked under Dean Smith, but on his own he ruined stuff, that's why he was so quick headed out the door.

-Tim
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top