Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i remember correctly we spent it on jason williams. and i was thinking, why. if we were just going to use him as a regular pg we just should have resigned best and drafted butler or something.

jwill was an offensive force in college matched by none. when he wants to be the man, he is the man.

i know its only three games into the season, but when i see the bulls go on an offensive drought during the game i cant help but think, "what gives?"

give him the ball and he'll make something happen!

do you hear me cartwright? Any other team would be letting him go all out and i he would have at least 15 a game. let him do what he is capable of!

·
Registered
162 Posts
GIVE J WILL THE DAMN BALL AND LET HIM DO HIS THING CARTWRIGHT HE WAS THE COLLEGE PLAYER OF THE YEAR AND CAN SCORE AT WILL. J WILL IS A WEAPON WE NEED TO USE:rbanana: :wbanana: :rbanana: :wbanana: :rbanana:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
amen

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
KUDOS TO BC

Any coach could have Williams score a lot of points with a poor FG% and poor A to T ration.

Instead, Bill has taken a stud and is teaching him a system and how to play great team ball. Once he is successful and comfortable in that scheme, the kid will be able to freelance *at the right times*.

I think this is the fastest way to gain a great player instead of letting a talented player freelance to some success and trying to reign him in later (see Jordan, Stack, AI, etc.)

·
BasketballBoards Fat Cat
1,320 Posts
The Duke kid is smart. He knows it's a long season, and he'll get his chances. Right now, he's worried more about team chemistry, for which I commend him.

He was interviewed after the first game, in which he didn't take a shot until the 2nd quarter. He said that he felt it was more important for his teammates to be able to get into the flow of the game.

:clap:

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I can say this until I am blue in the face and it would ultimately all be a waste of breath

Jay is the ultimate system guy from one of the ultimate system college teams. You really think he does not know how to play in a system and play great team ball?

Problem is no one understands that Jay was playing a role of scorer last year that his team's structure needed him to play .

Consequently you had a lot of people incorrectly labelling him and with a groundswell of opinion that built up in what he was thought to be, it could have easily have turned against him and hurt his draft stock with a perception/label , incorrectly and ignorantly conferred , sticking to him.

Thankfully NBA scouts and professional assessors of talent see him for what he really is .

With the propensity to be individually damaged if perception moved against him if he could not execute in this role - he rose to his individual challenge- all the while doing so in the context of what his team needed from him . I cannot give him enough credit for this.

Just as I cannot give him enough credit right now for not needing to be that man in that role at Duke , and rather , accepting his role from his Coach on this team with what Coach needs from him right now.

Jay could freelance, ignore what his team needs from now and the Coaches could be thinking that they will reign him in later. For the fact he chooses not to take this path shows what Jay Williams is all about as a man and a player.

He will not preference himself and his individual goals in development over the best chances for the team to win every time they step put on that court. He knows there are other guns on this team that in ant given instant are the right choices in that given instant. And for the fact that he is prepared to defer and go with that and be what Coach is wanting for him is testament to his integrity and his disclipline.

These are individual qualities that leadership is all about and will not show up on his individual stat sheet , but godwilling, will lead to some more W's being racked up in the Bulls column.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>FJ_of _Rockaway</b>!
Jay is the ultimate system guy from one of the ultimate system college teams. You really think he does not know how to play in a system and play great team ball?
Well, MJ was the a great system guy from one of the ultimate system college teams. (Remember the old joke about the only person that could hold Jordan to less than 20/game) Not that MJ did not play well from the start, but he still needed some time to figure out how best he could contribute to his team.

So yes! I do think that JWill will need some time to learn how to play in the triangle offense, a new system for him, and Bill will need to coach JWill in a manner to best utilize his talent and skills.

Looks like it is working so far.

p.s. I do agree that JWill is a very unselfish player supremely focused on winning which helps greatly.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Which Williams?

Maybe they were thinking of Jayson Williams of the Grizzlies? There is someone who can score.

I think Jay Williams of the Bulls is doing exactly what he should be.

·
Registered
586 Posts
We drafted the scoring Jason Williams..

not the pass happy Jay Williams.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I can say this until I am blue in the face and it would ultimately all be a waste of breath

Problem is no one understands that Jay was playing a role of scorer last year that his team's structure needed him to play .

Consequently you had a lot of people incorrectly labelling him and with a groundswell of opinion that built up in what he was thought to be, it could have easily have turned against him and hurt his draft stock with a perception/label , incorrectly and ignorantly conferred , sticking to him.

Thankfully NBA scouts and professional assessors of talent see him for what he really is .

With the propensity to be individually damaged if perception moved against him if he could not execute in this role - he rose to his individual challenge- all the while doing so in the context of what his team needed from him . I cannot give him enough credit for this.

Just as I cannot give him enough credit right now for not needing to be that man in that role at Duke , and rather , accepting his role from his Coach on this team with what Coach needs from him right now.

Jay could freelance, ignore what his team needs from now and the Coaches could be thinking that they will reign him in later. For the fact he chooses not to take this path shows what Jay Williams is all about as a man and a player.

He will not preference himself and his individual goals in development over the best chances for the team to win every time they step put on that court. He knows there are other guns on this team that in ant given instant are the right choices in that given instant. And for the fact that he is prepared to defer and go with that and be what Coach is wanting for him is testament to his integrity and his disclipline.

These are individual qualities that leadership is all about and will not show up on his individual stat sheet , but godwilling, will lead to some more W's being racked up in the Bulls column.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Jay is doing exactly what he should be doing...getting the entire team involved in the offense...ie POINT GUARD.
He knows he will get his shots here and there, he is no Stevie "Ball Hog" Franchis who just want instant stardom and SportsCenter hight reels to go along w/ his scoring titles. I love this kid. He's exactly what this team needs. He listens well to his coaches, he plays hard and he tries to get his teammates involved early in the game. There is no need for him to be the go-to guy..not right now anyway. He knows the development of 2 high schoolers is 1st proirity for this teams future. He also knows that Jalen Rose is his team captain for a reason. He is our star now not JWill. Jay was the star at Duke and for most of his college career and is showing what a mature rookie should be doing in his 1st NBA season. I have no complaints on how he is being utilized w/ this team. The sooner he knows the system, the way his teammates play, where they like their passes, this team will have a really good chemistry. He can be Kidd-like if he keeps this up!

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts

Great post!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nobody is asking him to take 80 shots game here. all i want is for him to shoot when his team needs him to shoot. when we go on an offensive drought, ummm what to do? maybe give it to the jay, and let him show us what he can do?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Remember that three pointer near the end of the game...

Originally posted by <b>Johnjo</b>!
nobody is asking him to take 80 shots game here. all i want is for him to shoot when his team needs him to shoot. when we go on an offensive drought, ummm what to do? maybe give it to the jay, and let him show us what he can do?

THAT was one of those times.:grinning:

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
FJ, that's some deep and beautiful analysis. Jay is a special player, and even though he's not shooting so much, I still am sensing his value in his current role. After airballing a three pointer bailout shot, Jay remains unafraid and steps up with NO HESITATION not less than a minute later and nails a clutch three. This kid is so money, and he's gaining valuable experience right now as to what it means to be an NBA floor general. I think he is doing just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts