Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and please, try to be constructive. I know some of you will want to say, "They just suck" and maybe that is true. Kellogg is in his fifth year as HC, all his recruits now, his "system." I like DK and want him to succeed, but is he holding this team back? Len, Steve, etc., feel free to chime in with positive or negative, yet realistic Mass comments. Thank you all.

·
Banned
335 Posts
When you run a system that is predicated on trying to just out athlete people, you had better have markedly better athletes than whomever you are playing.

The question becomes is is likely that UMass will ever be able to recruit players that enjoy that sort of advantage.

If the answer is no. The answer to your question is that the scheme isn't congruent with the personnel.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
They were good last year. It's 5 games in this year. They've been shaky, but they have collectively shot very poorly from what I've seen. And they haven't lost a game they really should have been expected to win.

So I guess I'd say they need to shoot better and take care of the ball, and keep other teams off the FT line better....but overall I think it's early, they've survived some uneven play, and will get better. Not time to panic. Picked 5-7 in the league by most, and they have played to it.

Dangerous team. Finding a way to win when you don't play/shoot well is impressive, especially when away from home, which they've been in all but one game I think.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
When you run a system that is predicated on trying to just out athlete people, you had better have markedly better athletes than whomever you are playing.

The question becomes is is likely that UMass will ever be able to recruit players that enjoy that sort of advantage.

If the answer is no. The answer to your question is that the scheme isn't congruent with the personnel.

No, the prior scheme (DDM) was not congruent with the abilities of the players. That being said, the current system leaves something to be desired as well since it requires some self discipline - of which the players (so far) have shown almost none. They do have he athletes however.

As of right now, they are a little short on discipline and muscle to match up with bigger front courts. By the time the A-10 schedule kicks in, this team should be able to play in this up-tempo style and make better decisions (if it is going to happen).

·
Registered
32 Posts
They have a good point guard, but I think you may be overstating how good they were last year. 9-7 in the A10 is not that good. 1 loss from being .500 in the conference. Losing to Duquesne, Rhode Island, Charleston and La Salle (2) is not optimal.

·
Banned
335 Posts
I don't visit this message board, because its pretty much useless. And haven't for a long time. Since Hopkins left, Butler is just a bubble sort of team. Those kind of games happen.

Predictably, they still appear to be in the conference's top handful regardless of losing its most talented player.

Be happy as you carry on in your irrelevance though.

·
Registered
840 Posts
... and please, try to be constructive. I know some of you will want to say, "They just suck" and maybe that is true. Kellogg is in his fifth year as HC, all his recruits now, his "system." I like DK and want him to succeed, but is he holding this team back? Len, Steve, etc., feel free to chime in with positive or negative, yet realistic Mass comments. Thank you all.
To answer you're question honestly I'd say 75.8 is the key. UMASS is giving up far too many points. I know thats obvious, whoever scores the most points wins. However, that will continue to be a problem throughout the year if they let teams score that easily. UMASS is dead last in the A-10 in scoring defense.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
To answer you're question honestly I'd say 75.8 is the key. UMASS is giving up far too many points. I know thats obvious, whoever scores the most points wins. However, that will continue to be a problem throughout the year if they let teams score that easily. UMASS is dead last in the A-10 in scoring defense.
So long as we maintain our standings as the luckiest team in basketball we should be set though :(

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Playing with expectation is hard. Or they have terrible coaching.

Look at the Bonnies last season. If you came out and said in September that Nicholson was going to play like a man possessed down the stretch and lead the team to the A-10 title, no one would have thought less of your view point. IF you said that in November or December or even January of last year, most would have thought you were crazy.

If they're still struggling in late January and February, its coaching.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts