Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

If after 10 games, Vin isn't back, what should the Celtics do?

• Terminate his contract

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • Keep Vin on IL and hope he can defeat alcoholism

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Attempt a buyout

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Sing "Kumbaya"

Votes: 4 9.8%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Vin Baker has not been released from suspension by league medical officials after 10 games, what should the Celtics do?

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I feel bad for the guy, and hope he can beat his addiction, but he has been given many chances to turn things around. I think they should just terminate his deal and move on. He is only an anchor to the Celtics now.

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
I voted for terminating the contract, but I'd rather do something that isn't actually on the list of options. Its the same sort of thing that the Patriots were trying to do when Robert Edwards nearly had to have his leg amputated and that I think the Bulls are going to try to do with Jay Williams. That is, get out of the contract, but then rehire them to some BS "front office" and pay for their rebhabilitation efforts. That does a lot of things for the Celtics. First, it gets that contract off the books and frees up a ton of money for them to use elsehwere. Secondly, we majorly save face by not just leaving the guy out in the cold as, I feel, many of you wrongly thing we should. Thirdly, if he ever gets better and can handle the pressures of NBA life and road trips without returning to the bottle, then we'd have first shot at a terrific post player.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!
I voted for terminating the contract, but I'd rather do something that isn't actually on the list of options. Its the same sort of thing that the Patriots were trying to do when Robert Edwards nearly had to have his leg amputated and that I think the Bulls are going to try to do with Jay Williams. That is, get out of the contract, but then rehire them to some BS "front office" and pay for their rebhabilitation efforts. That does a lot of things for the Celtics. First, it gets that contract off the books and frees up a ton of money for them to use elsehwere. Secondly, we majorly save face by not just leaving the guy out in the cold as, I feel, many of you wrongly thing we should. Thirdly, if he ever gets better and can handle the pressures of NBA life and road trips without returning to the bottle, then we'd have first shot at a terrific post player.
I love that idea Agoo, best thing I've heard as a possibility.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!
Good idea.

Really, anything that will get the situation resolved so the Celtics can move on is good with me.

What a disaster Vin Baker has been.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Agoo i certainly understand the motivation behind your post but we are somehow to believe that because vinnys contract is terminated that he is broke,peniless, and has to beg on the streets.. I dont feel it appropriate for vin to receive any sort of favors you mentioned unless he truly becomes clean. Should they continue to support his efforts? Yes.. But you dont hand over the keys to the car to a car wrecker.. I would love to see vinny work with young people showing them the dangers of a wasted life through bad desicions, and habits.. But to promote him while still participating in such is wrong,it sends the wrong message..

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buyout?

If we have to do it, fine. But the guy has essentially robbed the Celtics of millions since he got here, so I wouldn't feel to bad for this multi-millionaire if his contract got terminated. His grandchildren will still be millionaires. Now, I do hope he can get his life back on track, and I think stepping away from the game could help alleviate some of the pressures on him and help him do that.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5 games until we see what the Celtics do

Vinny is not returning phone calls from Ainge, coaches or teammates.

He has 5 games to go. If he doesn't get cleared by league docs in 5 games, we'll see how the Celtics respond.

So far, the majority says, "GO AHEAD AND TERMINATE!"

·
Registered
141 Posts
I really would like to see Vin playing again this season for the C's. I certainly prefer watching him play PF than Walter. At least he likes to go down low, even if he is not effective.

No more chances after this Vin. This is your last with me.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One more game

If not cleared to play by the docs by Thursday, we will get to see if the Celtics decide to go with our overwhelming majority, or the bleeding hearts who think everyone deserves a 6th chance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.