Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of numbers do you expect from him next season?

-Petey

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
If I was him I would get a cot and a blanket and spend every day from when we are bounced from the playoffs until the summer leagues at the practice facility.

I don't know what more he can do than work really hard to improve his overall game and his conditioning.

Physically and mentally I think he has the tools to be a good NBA center but he needs to bust through some blockades in his way: what seems like a lack of confidence on his part, an undefinied role on the team, and the stigma of being unworthy.

Everyone seems to think he has a great work ethic and I guess we'll see if that's true this summer.

I guess that doesn't answer your question, though. IMO we'll see him play around 20-24 minutes a game, average around 7/7, and maybe a steal, an assist, and four fouls.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
well, i won't get into the numbers. i don't have a crystal ball. but i'm glad you brought this up. i've recently seen far too much criticism on his head from far too many people/writers/fans/majeruses/broadcasters to stand by any longer.

i think some people are having a little fun with the hoffa "bust" label at the moment, it's so convenient because he's been forced in that category since draft night, and so he's become the butt of the recurrent jokes.

there are then going to be those fans who will buy that criticism, who will read/hear those jokes and believe them, and will assume that he'll be a legendary "bust" for the rest of his career. it is to them that i really want to speak here:

remember what you're saying now. araujo might never play well in the pros- like i said, i don't have a crystal ball- but if you're going to have "fun" criticizing him and babcock, then you should prepare yourself for the possibility that he could actually develop and turn into an asset (maybe more valuable than iguodala before it's all said and done).

i can't tell the future but i honestly think hoffa will break out at some point next season- and fast. he has that demeanour about him. it's not like he looks useless/lost out on the court. he's not producing because he's missing layups, he's blowing dunks, he's missing plays that are so basic you'd almost have to ascribe his failures to nerves. when he learns to calm himself down, when he learns to harness some adult confidence, when he learns to fight his childish fears, he'll probably look like a completely different player.

i mean, i'd be concerned if he looked like he never played basketball before. but he doesn't look that way. i think he looks pretty good off the ball- it's when the attention/focus/camera swerves in his direction that he stumbles. if he can come to grips with his juvenile tendencies- which have been on display since he publicly admitted that he "didn't want to be a bust" well before the season even started... you're not ready for pro ball if that's still one of your goals- he strikes me as the kind of guy who'll get good and stay good.

when he conquers his fears/weaknesses, he impresses me as the kind of man who will never have to face them again. truly, i can't wait for that "new player". it bothers me that mitchell and the coaching staff haven't found a way to help him through his various issues, to give birth to the new hoffa sooner rather than later, but i'm still ecstatic to see the player he can become. it might be a little late but who cares.

i'll then be satisfied with all the crow our immature reporters (especially them)/fans will have to eat for the next 10 years while hoffa plateaus at a comfortable level in the pros. and "immaturity" is the right word here, imo- i think "immaturity" is exactly where the current criticism is founded.

peace

·
Registered
209 Posts
I expect aorund the same production as this year

Unlike some people I'm not as optimistic about his future he hasnt really showed me anything to have some faith in him, his defence is bad he seems like he can't go 10 minutes without clobbering someone i think it has to do with him a step behind the rotatopns and getting to the spot he has to be a second too late

On offense he hasn't really showed anything either, he's made alot more bad plays that good ones and truthfully im surprised when he actually does score

For his career, i see him turning into a Danny Fortson type guy who can come in off the bench and give u a big body that can get some rebounds and play an intimidating role in the middle, but nothing special. Everyone knew he was a reach as a mid lottery pick and he's proving them right, he'll be a servicable big man but he'll never be anything remotely special.

bring on the hate

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'll say he puts up 7/7, or 8/6. Something like that.

As long as the team doesn't give up on him too soon, he's going to be a serviceable NBA center. Definetly at least an average starter.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
If he has the kind of offseason I expect him to have- increasing his quickness, getting lots of ball experience, and honing his weaker skills- he should stay on the court for 25 minutes (less if we draft Shelden) and average 8 and 7. His feel for the game is going to come a long way if he can log a ton of minutes playing the game this summer, and apparently that's his plan.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I say he does about 8/8 next season. guys a hard worker and i agree that alot of his problems or weaknesses are due to his fear of failure. Once he gets over that fear we should see great impovement in his game. As for the fouls well if he makes these wings that seem to run through our defense to the basket think twice about him hammering them its a good thing

·
Registered
183 Posts
If Babcock drafts Bogut, than Arujo will play even less. If not, Arujo should get around 20-25 minutes next year , 6 pt/6 rbs/ 6 fouls.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
first, i dont think we will get a chance to draft bogut...because unless Hornets get the frist pick, he will be the first pick in the draft...and will definately be in the top three...and i greatly greatly doubt seeing Babcock trading the 2 first for a high pick...second i think we cant expect too much from Hoffa next year...ive said it numerous times...u have to judge Araujo's with Magloire...he will have the same type of development as Mags did, so next year we should expect like 7/5 if we are lucky...like ballocks said...he is very scared out there...he does blow simple simple plays that i think maybe i could execute in the NBA..and that is what is holding him down...he isnt confident in himself...and u can see that he isnt a "strong personality" type of player...because, i read in an article that when he first came here to play ball, he stayed in his room crying from home sickness...and this mental toughness will only come wit experience...look for Hoffa to break out in his 3rd season in the league...and silence his critics then

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
During the off-season Araujo is going to have to work on several things. This year we haven't seen as much production from him as I would like, and this is mainly because he just isn't getting enough playing time. Is that Sam Mitchell's fault? Definately not. When a player gets 2 fouls early in the 1st quarter, he gives his coach no option but taking him out of the ball game. This is one part of his game that I really hope he can improve on. Right now he is literally a foul machine out there, and if he could just stop committing a lot of those senseless fouls, he would be a lot better off.
We have already seen that he is a good rebounding, and judging by his free throws, he's a pretty good shooter as well. Right now it's all about confidence with him. If he can start out the year with a couple of solid performances, I think he will definately be on the right track.
If I had to put some sort of numbers on him, I would say he'll average 6 points and 7 rebounds next season in about 20-25 minutes per game.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have mix feelings about Araujo. On one hand, we need to be more patient with him since big man take longer to develop (even though Babcock said he was the most NBA ready player available). Right now, his confidence seem a little shaky, he needs to work on his conditioning this summer and just work on his game overall. On the other hand, I just don't see anything from him that will make me think he can be anything more than a journyman big man.

If we do draft a big man in this year's draft (Shelden Williams, Sean May etc) and sign a free agent like Dan Gadzuric, I can see Araujo's minutes diminish even further.

My prediction for him next year - 3.1 PTS / 4.2 REB / 5 Fouls

·
Registered
569 Posts
He needs to hit the treadmill and lose some weight. He's a big guy and alot of it is muscle but he's not ripped, he needs to lose the flab and get in shape and become quicker. Malone, Mourning, Ben Wallace, he has the potential for their type of body if he gets in shape.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
i don't get the harsh criticism given to araujo. one-on-one, he's one of our better defenders. the biggest reasons to me on why he's caused alot of quick fouls is because of lack of defense on the perimeter, where he's forced upon to clobber the penetrating opponent from getting an easy layup. so if you're saying he's poor in help-defense, then that i can agree with, but it's not surprising considering he's still a rookie center.

his rebounding will get better. his offensive awareness will be more consise. and hopefully, we'll get to see some nifty passes via high-low feeds as we've seen in rare occasions. but until we've seen some improvement on the perimeter defense, hoffa will continue getting some unwarrranted criticism.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Despite the rather modest statistical predictions for Hoffa next year, I think we expect quite a lot from him. He's going to be our starting center, first off, and he's actually going to be good enough to play significant minutes.

We all knew, going into the season, that fouls would probably limit his time on the court. He doesn't get a lot of respect from the referees as a rookie big man that invites contact and he gives out some enforcer fouls. We all expect him to gain a much better understanding of defensive positioning and to be keep himself in the game (for upwards of 20 minutes). He's going to be a very good post defender- big men aren't going to enjoy going against him in the post.

Hoffa's going to start eating up rebounds next year and preventing his man from doing so. He loves to battle down low and he's going to start winning the battle for the boards. As his preparation and positioning for rebounds improves, along with his quickness, he's going to start hauling them in. I'll expect double digit rebounds in games where he logs more than 30 minutes. Of course he'll also move bigs around so Bosh and the others can get boards much more easily.

On offense, expect Hoffa to get some more pick and roll/pop action. If anyone on our team can set a pick (or a screen for that matter), it's Araujo. I'd like to see Mitchell get him the ball more, whether on the block or top of the key, and run guys off him for jumpers to to the hoop. A good slasher could get a lot of dunks from Hoffa's passes.

Hoffa's post up game has a long way to come but I think it will progress more quickly than you'd think. He's got the ball-skills in order- dribbling, passing, and shooting- he just needs to regain a comfort level at this higher level of post defense. Much like Bosh, he should be good enough to get a good look or draw the foul almost every time. He should get to work against single coverage as Bosh and our perimeter guys shouldn't be left alone as Araujo court awareness gets up to speed.

We expect him to finish around the basket. The kid has nice touch, he's going to stop blowing layups. He's also a good athlete and should really be able to increase his explosiveness with the right training. He should be comfortable going straight up and dunking the ball from under the hoop. Also, he should be able to draw contact and look to score- ala Karl Malone, the player he has tried to pattern himself after.

Most importantly I expect Hoffa to play ball next year. I also expect opponents to start loathing him and teammates to start loving him, as a player.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Best case scenario.....Adonyle Foyle/Danny Fortson

worst case scenario.....Rafeal Aruajo

Hoffa's got to lose some weight, he's big but got to tone up to keep pace with players that run laps around him.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts