Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of the point of view espoused below? A fellow by the name of Xnetschamp posted this in another forum:

It seems to me one of the biggest problems we have with our defense is that it seems predicated on our former players: Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles. The amount of speed they possessed is unmatchable in terms of defensive switching, overplaying, doubling and recovering.
We seem to still have defensive schemes designed for players who are quicker, longer and more athletic than who we have on our roster. We follow the ball too much. We cannot afford to double at the point of the ball and try to recover. We are not fast enough to recover on the open man once the opposing team swings the ball. We constantly get burned on open 3 pointers. We need to go old school and just stay home on shooters. We really miss Kenyon's shotblocking presence as much as ability.

Kerry and Kenyon were/are light years ahead of the defenders in their position now. Also I must disagree somewhat: defense is not just effort, it is based on talent as well. Sure it takes committment but it takes talent as well- some guys are gifted at scoring, some at shooting, some at getting open and some at defending.

Is there any merit to his view? Chime in! :gossip:

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Thats an interesting point in. They were both great defenders while they were on the team...I have to 100% agree that they are much better then their replacements at D.

I remember there was one play where kmart was guarding out at the three on one side of the court, and then they (I think the hornets) passed it around and by the time they got it to the guy in the corner, Kmart got over there and swatted it away.

I don't think anyone (especially any of the big men) on the team could do something like that now.

RJ and Vince have been playing D, but its going to take more then that to get the job done.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
in order to make a fastbreak style team, u must hav a defensive minded player or two(like Kerry's stealing ability and pesky in ur face D, and kenyons intimidating shotblocking and intensity).
once u make the other team commit a turnover or a missed shot, ur offense can sprint up the court for the fast break.
thats wat the old team did, and i hope this one will at least do that soon, b/c so far the current nets hasnt.:(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts