Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the reports that Jamal Crawford (and others) being back on the trading block, what does this truly mean to the big picture of the Chicago Bulls?

By himself, Jamal is unable to bring much value back in trade due to his current salary. The reports said that Jamal would be the bait in someone taking Eddie Robinson's contract. The reports also said that this deal would be in order to get us a real SF.

If we trade away Jamal, who I view as our only SG on this squad and don't receive on in return, we're banking on Kendall Gill to hold that down. Kendall Gill though isn't a long term solution for us, so that leaves us needing a sweet shooting SG.

We Subtract = SG/PG and SF (Eddie and Jamal)
We Add = SF
Net Loss = SG/PG

Okay, check.

Then there are reports that Antonio Davis may possibly be dealt to a contender who needs size. AD has played marginal since his arrival in Chicago, mostly because due to his age he should be in the 20-25mpg range, not starting and playing major minutes IMO.

There are several teams right now out west that could use Antonio Davis and that will be able to use him even more by the time the playoffs roll around. The problem is that most of these teams would be offering bad contracts in return. Dallas, Portland, etc mostly have some bad contracts that I wouldn't be willing to swallow since AD has only 2 years left.

We Subtract = PF/C
We Add = ?
Net Loss = ?

Okay, check.

Is it me, or does anyone see anything good for the long term that could come out of these possible deals?

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In addition, Jamal on the block has got to mean there is a SG that will be available in the draft or via free agency that Paxson is high on. I am not aware of many true SG prospects in the draft this year... maybe rlucas can help me out on this one. And in FA?

It could also mean that Paxson has indeed changed his tune on the Jay Williams situation since the buyout has not occurred like it talked about in the papers as of yet.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
the teams out west need real centers which is why the raps sent him to us instead

davis is basically an aging role player making the max at this point in his career

no one is going to trade a player who is worth what davis is making (they have to match right?) for a player not worth that kind of money

pax screwed up in the fact that the rose trade left the bulls weak on the perimeter as far as depth so players cant be traded basically until everyone is healthy or after the season and even then its going to be hard

the kind of deal he will net us is a player like rose who was avg. 13pts a game making 13 mil a year

or a pennywho makes about the same and gets you less production with a shorter contract

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
i think it means we traded our 4th allstar

I think it might mean that Jwill is in better shape then everyone first thought (id like to point out that Shambulls and I both predicted he would be back in a Bulls uni)

I think it might mean that the Bulls are packaging him in a huge deal

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!
i think it means we traded our 4th allstar

I think it might mean that Jwill is in better shape then everyone first thought (id like to point out that Shambulls and I both predicted he would be back in a Bulls uni)

I think it might mean that the Bulls are packaging him in a huge deal
So what do you forsee or do you wish to stand put?

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by <b>happygrinch</b>!
the teams out west need real centers which is why the raps sent him to us instead

davis is basically an aging role player making the max at this point in his career

no one is going to trade a player who is worth what davis is making (they have to match right?) for a player not worth that kind of money

pax screwed up in the fact that the rose trade left the bulls weak on the perimeter as far as depth so players cant be traded basically until everyone is healthy or after the season and even then its going to be hard

the kind of deal he will net us is a player like rose who was avg. 13pts a game making 13 mil a year

or a pennywho makes about the same and gets you less production with a shorter contract
I agree with most of what you say except the part in what we could get in return. When teams are making that championship push, teams often give up young talent to win now. That could possibly be what Paxson is looking to do.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RetroDreams</b>!

So what do you forsee or do you wish to stand put?

Im a Jamal fan so I dont want him to go. I think he is a legit 2. I would like to keep him beyond this season if his contract demands are reasonable. He is kind of like Tmac in his 3rd year, plenty of flashes before blowing up in his 4th year in Orlando. Now, I am not saying he and TMac are anything alike, but he can win a game all by himself. How many guys are like that in the NBA? As good as Kirk is, and I think he is damn good, he is not good enough to just put a team on his shoulders and win you a game. He also doesnt seem like the type of guy who ever will be

Havin said that, I think pax will deal him. Pax doesnt have patience it appears to me and other then drafting Kirk, has done a piss poor job as GM. I would say Pax always had a couple of guys he was going to deal. Those guys were Jamal and jalen. We didnt get proper value for Marshall or Jalen imo. and we are about to give Jamal away. Thats just what I see. And it bothers me. we went from a youthful team with lots of potential to a team of older players with big unmovable contracts

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts

I agree with most of what you say except the part in what we could get in return. When teams are making that championship push, teams often give up young talent to win now. That could possibly be what Paxson is looking to do.
whay young talent makes anywhere near what davis makes that a contending team would trade for him?

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!

I still think the most likely candidate is Jamison that fits those parameters. Jamison is still pretty young, or at least in his prime.
and why do the mavs want davis?

i can understand why the bulls would want jamison

but davis is not what they want if he were they could have traded jamison to the raptors for davis a while ago ...didn't the raps need scoring it would seem antawn would be more than ideal

in truth the mavs dont need a 4 trying to be a 5 they need a 5 period someone like big Z in cleve. but they aren't trying for him so they aren't really feeling like they need much of anyone yet

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>happygrinch</b>!

and why do the mavs want davis?

i can understand why the bulls would want jamison

but davis is not what they want if he were they could have traded jamison to the raptors for davis a while ago ...didn't the raps need scoring it would seem antawn would be more than ideal

in truth the mavs dont need a 4 trying to be a 5 they need a 5 period someone like big Z in cleve. but they aren't trying for him so they aren't really feeling like they need much of anyone yet
Not true! The Mavs need more defense out of their 5 than offense if the actually want to win! Davis would help their team more than Z. I believe they had made trade inquiries about him when he was with Toronto, but then again I don't have a link. :D

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!

Not true! The Mavs need more defense out of their 5 than offense if the actually want to win! Davis would help their team more than Z. I believe they had made trade inquiries about him when he was with Toronto, but then again I don't have a link. :D
then why instead is davis on the bulls why didn't the mavs get him from the raptors?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
When Davis was in TO there was a rumored deal to Dallas for Jamison - he would have been a great fit, plus Vince's good buddy. It appeared that the Mavs didn't really want Davis, i would think they haven't changed their minds yet.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Jamal had to have been on the block the whole time. It was Jamal that was going to be traded and not Jay. Damn! Jays little joy ride set us back quite a bit!

I do not have the answer you seek retrodreams. If we package jamal for a SF we need a SG/SF back in return. If we get our SF then what about Gill? Does Dupree fit in? Can he play SG and SF to back up Gill and the new SF? Also keep in mind, in the short term, Gill will be fine at SG. Pippen can back up some as well as Dupree if hs is in it for the rest of the season.

I don't know of any solutions right now. The rumored Miami trade would answer both needs for us. Rumor has it that Bulls are interested in rahim and Harrington, but neither one address the guard situation should JC be in a package. Heaven forbid, Jeffries gets some burn there the rest of the year! But that could happen in limited minutes.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaBullz</b>!

You, of course! ;-)

An aging vet with a big/long contract can be very useful to a team that thinks he can put them over the top. The short run for some teams outweighs the long run.
yep, some teams think short-run, some think long-run, and meanwhile the Bulls just get the runs. :no:

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Guys, realistically, the only truly untouchable guys in this league are maybe Shaq, Duncan, and LeBron. Everyone else could probably be had for the right price. A smart GM will always listen to offers.

·
Registered
268 Posts

We Subtract = SG/PG and SF (Eddie and Jamal)
We Add = SF
Net Loss = SG/PG
It's possible that Paxson might not care that much if Skiles is forced to give Dupree and Jeffries a decent amount of minutes for the rest of the season. We are one of the worst teams in the league right now, at least record-wise. From his perspective as GM, it might make sense to 'tank' a little bit.

If we traded for a SF, Pax might want to use the MLE in the offseason on a more defensive-minded SG. What would the cap ramifications for trading Eddie and Jamal be?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts