Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much everyone looks at this trade as if it benefited Memphis greatly over Atlanta. But did it really? SAR is one of the few 20/10 capable players in L, and surely has better D than Gasol by default.

I'm not necessarily saying the Grizzlies would be better off with Abdur-Rahim now, just wondering what you guys would think about Memphis if we inserted Reef into their current line-up...

Thoughts?

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Um, at 7 feet I'd definitely say that Gasol is worth more than SAR, but that's not to say Gasol is relatively soft as a defensive presense. In the end, I think Gasol will turn out as the better player knowing how young he still is. I'm assuming that's essentially what you were asking?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>EHL</b>!
In the end, I think Gasol will turn out as the better player knowing how young he still is. I'm assuming that's essentially what you were asking?
Effectively, yes. In the end it comes down to which player is best suited to eventually bring home a championship for Memphis (or as close as possible). Maybe it will be Stromile Swift... who knows ;)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Gasol is not a great D player, but neither is Shareef- I have a feeling people are overating SAR D since he is a good offensive player- just my opinion...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Matiz</b>!
Gasol is not a great D player, but neither is Shareef-
But Gasol is european and Shareef is american.So Shareef is considered a better defender by default.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Originally posted by <b><< SkipToMyLou >></b>!
What are the Atlanta Hawks and Memphis Grizzlies current starting lineups?
ATLANTA
PG - Jason Terry
SG - Boris Diaw / Dion Glover
SF - Stephen Jackson
PF - Shareef Abdur-Rahim
C - Theo Ratliff

MEMPHIS
PG - Jason Williams
SG - Mike Miller
SF - James Posey
PF - Pau Gasol
C - Lorenzen Wright

·
Registered
690 Posts
Gasol is better than Reef...

Both are bad defenders but:

1. Gasol is higher...
2. Gasol is the better shotblocker
3. Gasol's offensive game is better than Reef's
4. Gasol and the Grizz are in the playoffs in the WEST, Reef and the Hawks are 4th worst team in the league playing in the EAST

Grizzlies got the better part of the deal... sorry for the Hawks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts