Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
This writer is a pretty egotistical American (I'm American so I can say that) and pretty ignorant about Soccer. Shaq is big, quick and athletic, but a Soccer goal isn't that small. The writer acts like Shaq would take up half the space just by standing still. Rasheed Wallace, Garnett and Webber as defenders? How the hell are they supposed to keep up with lighting quick 5'10" guys? Soccer is also mostly a slow-twitch sport, basketball is a fast-twitch sport. Just because Allen Iverson dominates one doesn't mean he can dominate the other. I mean Hakeem Olajuwon was much better at basketball than soccer.

·
Registered
298 Posts
haha shaq would be an embarrasing goalie! he wud hav no speed, wud be too tall to get down to low shots and wudnt have the agility. but hes fairly good at basketball tho so i doubt it will bother him that much! :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’ve actaully seen Jason Kidd played soccer (with other non-soccer athletes) in some ESPN charity thingy. He’s better than what I expect, probably good enough to start for a local recreational league, one with a “no-slide tackle” rule.

Whoever wrote that article definitely has an inferior complex. It’s not the first time some major newspaper put down soccer. And all it does is make the writers (and the news organization) look bitter and pathetic. Do the writers think that we (the readers) are stupid? That we don’t wonder -- if a writer really doesn’t care about soccer like he said, how come he devotes a whole article discussing it? I seriously doubt the sport writers in Europe write about how much they don’t like American Football.

I feel bad for Brad Freidel. He played out of his mind for his country, and all he got in return was “Shaq could do better.”

Maybe next, the writer will suggest we sent Shaq to fight the terrorists.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by bebop
I’ve actaully seen Jason Kidd played soccer (with other non-soccer athletes) in some ESPN charity thingy. He’s better than what I expect, probably good enough to start for a local recreational league, one with a “no-slide tackle” rule.
i think i read somewhere before that soccer is his second fav sport to play (besides basketball, of course).

by the way, lmao @ the shaq fighting terrorists comment! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Shaq a Goalie??

If Shaq was a goalie???
It would be the worse sight to see him get tangled up in the net.
OHH BOYY!!!
:D :grinning:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Originally posted by dirty bruce
soccer is euro trash futbol.
Wow, that's pretty ignorant.
Though I prefer Basketball, Football and Hockey over Soccer, the rest of the world's favorite sport is Soccer. Soccer is huge in South and Central America. It is also growing in Asia. I guess you didn't catch Korea's run in the World Cup.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Originally posted by dirty bruce
soccer is euro trash futbol.
No offense, but those kind of comments are the reason that the rest of the world dislikes American arrogance. You're basically saying the rest of the world is "euro trash."

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Originally posted by Wiggum

No offense, but those kind of comments are the reason that the rest of the world dislikes American arrogance. You're basically saying the rest of the world is "euro trash."
And your basically saying that all Americans are arrogant. He doesn't have to like soccer-you can have your own opinion here-

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by Wilt_The_Stilt

And your basically saying that all Americans are arrogant. He doesn't have to like soccer-you can have your own opinion here-
sadly, people all over the world think that americans are arrogant. i think he's just saying that it justifies the stereotype.

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Wilt_The_Stilt
He doesn't have to like soccer-you can have your own opinion here-
No you can't! ;) Just kidding.

Peace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts