Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking what if we traded Joel? What is he going to do after this year? He has stated that he wants to come back here, but does that mean he wants to sign a one year offer to get his bird rights or does he just sign a 4 year contract starting at the MLE? If the latter is true then why not trade Joel this year knowing full well that he would be coming back. If I was him I would want to make this team better so I might even ask for it. Also for Joel I don't know if the playing time and production he has given so far this year would warrant much more of a MLE contract. Joel could also go to a team that maybe could have a chance to win a championship and that would be great expierence to bring back to this team.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Depends on who we get back.

"No one is untouchable... but we're gonna make you pay through the nose." - John Nash, GM, Portland Trail Blazers (edited for humorous effect)

PBF

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
If everything Joel said was true and he want's to stay then i think it would be a very shotty move on the part of mgmt to trade him after/if he accepts the lowest contract when he most likely can get more on fa.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Joel has said he is willing to take less money to stay in Portland because of the good faith Portland put in him and he feels he owes it to them because they were the only one to give him guaranteed money. If you trade him away now you are taking away that good faith and feelings. He would not even think about coming back after that. That would be a slap in the face.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
That's my point exactly Sebastian Express.If the Blazers would do that to Joel i would never attend a Blazers game again just for the simple fact that he's going out on a limb for the franchise.It most likely sounds dumb to alot of u but i really value loyalty.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Sebastian Express said:
Joel has said he is willing to take less money to stay in Portland because of the good faith Portland put in him and he feels he owes it to them because they were the only one to give him guaranteed money. If you trade him away now you are taking away that good faith and feelings. He would not even think about coming back after that. That would be a slap in the face.
I guess people are taking this as a negative I was thinking that Joel is going to be coming back and that he could help the team get better by being traded and then resigning next summer for a 4 year deal starting at the MLE. I guess I was thinking about talking to him and stating their position that they want him back and that he could help the team, the team that he would be coming back to, by getting some talent back. If it were me I would be talking to management because I would want the team to be better in the future and if he's going to sign the same contract either way you might as well make the team better.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
That has a point but i think Joel would percieve the trade as being a non loyal move i guess thats what u would call it.It is possible though that the trade could happen but it would be alot of moving for a deal we could get by keeping him here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts