Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shaq didnt sign with the Lakers. Would the Magic have won a championship? Would the West still be as dominant? Would Kobe turn into the player that he is now? Would the Lakers have won 3 championships?

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
The Magic would be the powerhouse that won multiple titles. The West wouldnt be as dominant, but by now would be the better conference due to KG, Duncan, Kings, Mavs, etc. Kobe would be a superstar, but in the same boat as Tmac and Pierce and other elite guards without a title.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another thing I forgot would T-Mac be on the Magic? Or would he still be on the Raptors?

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
It would be harder. They wouldn't have gotten any really good #13 overall picks.

Maybe Penny or Anderson wouldn't have slid. Maybe it was inevitable and Penny just wasn't going to progress.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by <b>CAnthony15</b>!
Another thing I forgot would T-Mac be on the Magic? Or would he still be on the Raptors?
Good point... no way T-Mac ends up there if Shaq was still there. Of course, Shaq being in Orlando would have totally changed the league, so what do I know?

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
This is an interesting question. Shaq to LA may have very well started the downfall of the east. I bet if they could do it over again, the Raps would trade Vince for a talented big man to play w/ T-Mac.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
I pretty much agree with what SI had. First Minnesota drafts a HS kid (unbelievable!), then Shaq leaves, Kobe doesn't go to CHA, and then the lottery takes 97's incredible commodity from the 15-67 Celtics in the East (vancouver lost the most games but wasn't eligible) and gives TD to the West. And if that wasn't bad enough, he gets put on an established team, so that team is poised to win but the East gets a lot less, again. (squat besides T-Mac)

T-Mac has always been in the East, but since he split with Vince and Hill went down, he's been stranded from another big time player. Thus he's in the east, but the team isn't a contender.

So...
- Great players are not only seperate from the East, they're competing against them and taking their realistic shot at a title.
- Even if West has some bad teams, the best are concentrated and potent whereas some of the East's teams can't contend.

Common sense, but it's fun to kick the East.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
The whole face of the league would be different had Shaq stayed in the East. Orlando probably would have won at least a couple titles. No way Tmac would be in Orlando is Shaq was still around. Orlando would only have been able to sign the smaller pieces to put around Shaq. A lot of the big moves West teams made were just trying to find guys to compete against Shaq and LA.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RebelSun</b>!
This is an interesting question. Shaq to LA may have very well started the downfall of the east. I bet if they could do it over again, the Raps would trade Vince for a talented big man to play w/ T-Mac.
Yep because T Mac sure can lead his team through the playoffs.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
^^ You must feel strongly to post it twice

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MemphisX</b>!

Yep because T Mac sure can lead his team through the playoffs.

With the people on that team, they are lucky they were even in the playoffs.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
OT, sort of: This is old news.

LOL, you replace, who, Declercq with, say, Big Z or even Brian Grant and they mop up Detroit.

Game 2 was one of the crappiest displays by a playoff supporting cast ever. It was T-Mac lighting it up and anonymous dudes playing like anonymous dudes in Orlando jerseys. And it was a close game, IIRC.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Brian Grant and T-Mac would come nowhere near mopping up Detroit, but thanks for attempting to shed light on such a serious conversation. McGradys playoff woes are a problem.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KABI</b>!
Brian Grant and T-Mac would come nowhere near mopping up Detroit, but thanks for attempting to shed light on such a serious conversation. McGradys playoff woes are a problem.
The fact he has playoff woes is a tribute to how great of a player he really is. Taking a team like that so far is amazing.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!

The fact he has playoff woes is a tribute to how great of a player he really is. Taking a team like that so far is amazing.
Either way, he should never complain about loosing seeing as he took the money over having decent teammates...

Hell, if he would of stayed with Vince he could of got just as much spotlight since Vince only plays half the season. :D

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>stevemc</b>!
Either way, he should never complain about loosing seeing as he took the money over having decent teammates...

Hell, if he would of stayed with Vince he could of got just as much spotlight since Vince only plays half the season. :D
Yea because I'm sure he knew Duncan wouldnt sign, and Hill would get hurt forever after Duncan said he would sign and Hill did sign.

At the time, the Magic looked like the better team as far as talent AND money. I dont understand how that is a bad decision. People just try to use hindsight to make it look like a bad decision because they have some sort of hate for him.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts

Hogwash. He was going to play with Grant Hill, the best all-around player in the league at the time. Such a ridiculous argument.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts

That makes no sense, to say he took money over having decent teammates. When he accepted Orlando's offer, he expected to have Grant Hill...a superior player to Vince Carter before Hill's injuries ended his career.

Unless you're casting aspersions on McGrady's medical knowledge, there was no way for him to know that he'd never play meaningful games with Hill.

As far as he was concerned, he was A. getting more money, B. joining a top-five talent and C. playing for his home team.

·
Registered
564 Posts
What if Vince Carter never had knee problems..... what if Shawn Kemp ever had drug problems.... what if Penny stayed with the magic..... you can;t g buy on what if's **** happens

1 - 19 of 19 Posts