Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Volleyball Coach
Joined
·
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgetting about names and who is actually on the roster, describe the types of players that would make an ideal Kidd team. Describe the starters and as many bench players as you think are needed.

My take:

SG: A zone buster that plays good man to man defense and makes good passing decisions. Must be able to run, but doesn't have to be very tall. Should be comfortable driving to the basket.

SF: Must have a good mid range game to run pick and rolls with. Athletic and strong. Good rebounder and positional defender. Must be able to run. Bonus if he can score out of the post. Should be able to drive to the basket.

PF & C: One of the two must be a reliable on the block scorer and both must be able to defend and rebound. One of the two must be able to run. Both need to be good decision makers with the ball. Both should be reliable from the elbow.

Bench
Back up PG: Must be capable of and happy with playing 12-15 minutes a game as the primary ball handler. Can be either a good defender or a change of pace offensive weapon.

1st back up wing: Must be a reliable scorer, either a deep threat or an attack the basket game. Should be at least an average defender.

1st back up big: Reliable rebounder and defender.

2nd back up big: Must be able to score. Either in the paint or with a perimeter game. Ideally would compliment the 1st back up wing.

2nd back up wing: Must have some ball handling skills and be a high energy guy. Needs to contribute as a defender.

3rd back up big: Should be able to play the SF position at times.

Emergency PG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,119 Posts
I figure that it is a team that he cannot complain about.

PG: Kidd

SG: Kidd

SF: Kidd

PF: Kidd

C: Kidd
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sánchez AF

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,128 Posts
The most important thing IMO, is an uberfreak at the PF spot. I say PF because an uberfreak there can run w/ anyone, but is also strong enough to finish over anyone. Its a rare combo to find in a player, but when Kidd has had it at his side (Dice, Kmart) its been a match made in heaven. Look to that player for your post work on O, as well. Elsewise I'd want athletic defenders (preferably w/ length (for steals and deflections to get the break going)) and finishers. Gotta be a good rebounding team as well. At the 5 spot, I'd want a long skinny running type, a la Marcus Camby or (perhaps in the future) Dalembert/Chandler. Someone who can rebound and block shots, as the pressure D I'd play would allow people to occasionally get to the hoop. You need a backup PG who has a varied enough game to play next to Kidd as well as w/ him. Otherwise you end up w/ ten minutes a game where the team grinds to a halt. JKidd is the PG equivalent of Shaq, IMO. When you take him out of the game, everything changes, immediately. To combat that you need versatile players that can pass and handle, etc. so that everyone is capable of doing everything (w/ some exceptions of course).

The other most important thing in my mind is that everyone on the team has an attacking mindset. JKidd is always looking to attack the hoop and the other team's defense. Gotta have guys who are w/ that program. That's why Vaughn plays as much as he does. And its why Vince sometimes looks out of place w/ Kidd. Vince is a patient player, which is cool, but different from Kidd, who's always 2 steps ahead of the other team mentally.

As a side note, some people have to be able to shoot from the outside reliably. JKidd gets guys open looks in the halfcourt, guys gotta knock 'em down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,151 Posts
I would say the US team who played in Puerto Rico.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
I'm sure he thinks of his ideal team as:

Kidd
SG
KMart/Marion
Garnett/KMart
Duncan

He has always loved the big guys.

-Petey
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,964 Posts
I think Sea's right. Kidd needs that power post, defensive, open court PF to succeed. The one addition that would help was an on the ball defender, like Kittles to keep Kidd on the wings where he is most dangerous in dissecting plays. Then surround him with shooters, that would be the perfect team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
What is great about Kidd:

1) Great on-court leadership. Leads by example. Hard work, never quits.

2) Great Help defender. One of the best in the league at playing the passing lanes and giving soft double teams. Can take apart an offense by knowing where to be to disrupt it.

3) Great on the break. He gets the ball on turnover or forced shots, and he's off the races. Will find the open man if the oposision is out-numbered on the break.

4) In the half court, makes good decision, doesn't force unless he has to. Won't hog the ball. Is confident in teammates.

-----------------------

What he needs.

Most importantly.....Great on ball DEFENDERS! You give him a bunch of great defenders, and two things will happen. First, Kidd's ability to play the passing lane and disrupt an offense, along with great 1-1 defense will completely shut down other teams.

Secondly, there will be numerous fast breaks. What kidd thrives on bad shot and turnovers = fast breaks.

After defense, Kidd needs guys that are athlete and can run with him, and are willing to share the ball. They will keep the motion in place, and Kidd's play will make everyone play better.

Lastly, Kidd will need a go to scorer on his squad. Kidd is not one, and the biggest weakness in the final teams was that there was no go to scorer. Something Carter does bring.

Nonetheless a reasonable perfect team would be (ie not an ALL NBA team):

Kidd
Manu Ginobli
Artest defensively, but will run on break and not take bad shots.
Martin
Duncan a go to scorer for when the offense is struggling.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
hihofink said:
Kidd
Manu Ginobli
Artest defensively, but will run on break and not take bad shots.
Martin
Duncan a go to scorer for when the offense is struggling.
Artest has taken his share of wild shots and has lost minutes for it.

But from what you describe, he sounds like Bowen.

And overa.. from what you desribe, sounds like... The Spurs, minus Martin.

-Petey
 

·
Legal Smeagol
Joined
·
30,760 Posts
Kidd, Carter, LeBron, Kirilenko and Stoudemire. All can run and gun, and are great rebounders, so as to be able to get the ball out there. Frighteningly athletic as a team too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
SeaNet said:
The most important thing IMO, is an uberfreak at the PF spot. I say PF because an uberfreak there can run w/ anyone, but is also strong enough to finish over anyone. Its a rare combo to find in a player, but when Kidd has had it at his side (Dice, Kmart) its been a match made in heaven. Look to that player for your post work on O, as well. Elsewise I'd want athletic defenders (preferably w/ length (for steals and deflections to get the break going)) and finishers. Gotta be a good rebounding team as well. At the 5 spot, I'd want a long skinny running type, a la Marcus Camby or (perhaps in the future) Dalembert/Chandler. Someone who can rebound and block shots, as the pressure D I'd play would allow people to occasionally get to the hoop. You need a backup PG who has a varied enough game to play next to Kidd as well as w/ him. Otherwise you end up w/ ten minutes a game where the team grinds to a halt. JKidd is the PG equivalent of Shaq, IMO. When you take him out of the game, everything changes, immediately. To combat that you need versatile players that can pass and handle, etc. so that everyone is capable of doing everything (w/ some exceptions of course).

The other most important thing in my mind is that everyone on the team has an attacking mindset. JKidd is always looking to attack the hoop and the other team's defense. Gotta have guys who are w/ that program. That's why Vaughn plays as much as he does. And its why Vince sometimes looks out of place w/ Kidd. Vince is a patient player, which is cool, but different from Kidd, who's always 2 steps ahead of the other team mentally.

As a side note, some people have to be able to shoot from the outside reliably. JKidd gets guys open looks in the halfcourt, guys gotta knock 'em down.
I am confussed now, are you that Kobe hater? Sorry because he does have the same avatar like you do.

Interms of effetciveness, Jason Kidd is early offense, and Vince Carter is halfcourt discipline offense.

For the past few years, Jason Kidd was able to get away with not playing discipline basketball but guided his team to NBA finals because East teams have no true inside presence. Jamine Oneal? Socre here and there, YES. But a legit only lowpost option you throw the ball down to him for 30 times and expected good things happened? No way.

Now, T-mac's early offense is so different from Jason Kidd early offense. T-mac is long range jumpers, jumpers after jumpers. While he could get a punch of points in hurry, he doesnt really get his teammates involved. People say, No way John. T-Mac gets 6 assists a game with his scoring ability, but those 6 asiststs most of those were given by opposing team.

Jason Kidd is at his best because he is FAST with the ball, he is not explosive but he is fast while being strong enough for defenders to honur his drives so he enable open looks for his teammates. But Jason did indeed need guys who can run with him without the ball. Like I said Vince Carter is not the ideal guy when he was first traded here. No one believes me.

Now, I think If our 3 and 4 can run with Kidd. We can live with Carter being the last guy able bail out the guys when is needed. Because Carter provided the game changing offensive game. An offense where defense has to honour or Carter would win the game single handley.

Teams just cant play the same defense on Carter as to Arenas or Hughes or Wade. Because if Carter get that much free room, he could dunk on your every single time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,128 Posts
John said:
I am confussed now, are you that Kobe hater? Sorry because he does have the same avatar like you do.
I am a Kobe hater, but not THE Kobe hater. I should add, though, that I welcome Kobe lovers to defend his excesses.

John said:
Interms of effetciveness, Jason Kidd is early offense, and Vince Carter is halfcourt discipline offense.


Jason Kidd is at his best because he is FAST with the ball, he is not explosive but he is fast while being strong enough for defenders to honur his drives so he enable open looks for his teammates. But Jason did indeed need guys who can run with him without the ball. Like I said Vince Carter is not the ideal guy when he was first traded here. No one believes me.
I agree w/ you that VC is not the ideal guy, because he doesn't look to run. However, they are still a pretty good pairing, becase they can both be counted on to lead different aspects of the team (Kidd:defense, running VC:half-court O).

John said:
Now, I think If our 3 and 4 can run with Kidd. We can live with Carter being the last guy able bail out the guys when is needed. Because Carter provided the game changing offensive game. An offense where defense has to honour or Carter would win the game single handley.
This is exactly what I want to see as well. Athletic defenders at the 3 and 4 that are willing and able runners, and can finish strong on the break. Then you've got Carter there to run the half court offense through, not to mention a developing Nenad at Center. It has the makings for a great team. VC and Nenad will have to board strong, though, so that RJ, Kidd, and our PF replacement can get out and run.
 

·
Let's Go Streaking!
Joined
·
6,994 Posts
Kidd
Vince
Richard Jefferson
05 1st Round Pick
Nenad.
:D Thats a perfect team !!!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top