Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very sorry if some of you find this annoying, but I just have to ask. Who is Eddie Robinson? I have heard good things about this player and how he is going to be an incredible player. I checked his play profile on NBA.com and it says he was never drafted. Can someone give me some information on him and why he was not drafted please?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Do not know why he was not drafted....

.....but it might have something to do with the fact that he has probably the 3rd ugliest jump shot in history and maybe his big toe was flairing up from time to time in college. He does have what appears to be tons and tons of athletic ability, but since being signed by the Bulls, has spent the vast majority of time on the disabled list. IF he plays 10 games in a row at ANY point in this season without going back on the d/l, I will be amazed and giddy. Personally I hope he gets traded...SOON!:upset:

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/eddie_robinson/bio.html

Despite leading NCAA Division II in scoring at 28.0 points per game at Central Oklahoma, Eddie Robinson was not selected in the 1999 NBA Draft. He signed with Charlotte as a rookie free agent, won a spot on the roster and played in 67 games in 1999-2000, making eight starts and averaging 7.0 ppg. He led the team with a .549 field goal percentage. After another solid season with the Hornets, Robinson signed a free agent contract with the Bulls on July 18, 2001.
....also, I believe Eddie started playing very late (relatively) in life. He may have been a walk-on at Central Oklahoma.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Eddie Robinson was a career 7 pts a game scorer who averaged 12 pts per game in one playoff series and was signed to a 32 million dollar contract by Krause. The guy's as thin as a toothpick, but is a good dunker so Krause thought he would be a star. He spent all season long on the bench in street clothes because of a toe condition he has had since berth.

I cannot understand what could merit the signing of a 7 pts per game bench player to a 32 million dollar contract other than idiocy or desperation. I thought the Mercer signing was bad, but at least Mercer averaged 18 pts a game in his career. And Mercer's contract, as bad as it was, was for 28 million over 4 years.

Robinson needs to develop into Krause's vision this year or else he will haunt the Bulls for years with his contract.

Another case of spending money on potential instead of proven quality because none of the quality players wanted to sign with the Bulls.

This cycle needs to end soon.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That is correct E-Rob will rob the Bulls of any chance to improve unless he improves. He has LESS THAN ZERO trade value and is on apparent shaky ground with the Bulls. Why else would the Bulls even be looking at another small forward this year. But then again more is better when your team is BAD. The Bulls need proven talent, not potential. E-Rob is all about unrealized potential. Let's hope he realizes that potential ( along with Curry, Crawford, Chandler & Williams )

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Yeah, well.....I think if E-Rob's toe had been healthy all last year we wouldn't be having this conversation. E-Rob, when healthy, is a player. Sure he averaged 7ppg in limited minutes in Charlotte, he was behind Jamal Mashburn in the lineup! When Mashburn injured himself andE-Rob got starters minutes he performed very well. Just like he did in the preseason last year for the Bulls sans toe trouble. I would also like to point out that a lot of folks were against the Bulls trading for Jermaine O'neal because he "only averaged 3.9ppg & 3rpg" in Portland, he seems to be doing a lot better than that now.

At 5 years 31.2 million E-Rob is a bargain IF he can stay healthy. I suspect that will be his biggest issue and possibly why Krause is exploring trading him & Best to Milwaukee for Kukoc.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!
Yeah, well.....I think if E-Rob's toe had been healthy all last year we wouldn't be having this conversation. E-Rob, when healthy, is a player. Sure he averaged 7ppg in limited minutes in Charlotte, he was behind Jamal Mashburn in the lineup! When Mashburn injured himself andE-Rob got starters minutes he performed very well.
Huh? He started 14 games total in two seasons with CHA. Considering his career highs in points are 21 and rebounds 10. I'd like to see a link or article or first hand account of some of these games where he performed very well.

Just like he did in the preseason last year for the Bulls sans toe trouble. I would also like to point out that a lot of folks were against the Bulls trading for Jermaine O'neal because he "only averaged 3.9ppg & 3rpg" in Portland, he seems to be doing a lot better than that now.
I don't see valid grounds for an Eddie Robinson and Jermaine O'Neal comparision. Sorry. O'Neal is an All-Star and Eddie is far from it. They play different positions (of course) and are in different classes alltogether. And preseason games dont mean jack, unless you think the likes of Toby Bailey and Norm Richardson will be tearing up the NBA next season.

At 5 years 31.2 million E-Rob is a bargain IF he can stay healthy. I suspect that will be his biggest issue and possibly why Krause is exploring trading him & Best to Milwaukee for Kukoc.
Even the fact that JK is thinking about trading for Kukoc shows you something. Kukoc is clearly on the downside of his career and hasn't played defense since he joined the NBA. Maybe JK is just trying to cut losses on Eddie (Kukoc is only signed for 2 more seasons) and bring an old Bull back in the fold.

Historically speaking, Eddie Robinson was added last offseason in a peculiar time for the Bulls. They had just traded away their best player, banked their future on HS kids, and were looking like they wouldn't even win 20 games in the next couple seasons. Eddie Rob was added to give some veteran experience and add excitement to a team w/ such plodders as Miller, Mercer and Artest. He has disappointed thus far and barring some great improvement in his play, will be a trading rumor waiting to happen for the next 2 years.

But hey, he can jump can't he? HAHA. So could Corey Benjamin.

VD

·
BasketballBoards Fat Cat
1,320 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Vin Diesel</b>!
I don't see valid grounds for an Eddie Robinson and Jermaine O'Neal comparision. Sorry. O'Neal is an All-Star and Eddie is far from it. They play different positions (of course) and are in different classes alltogether.
I think it's pretty clear that he wasn't comparing Robinson and O'Neal at their current levels, nor was he comparing their positions or style of play. He was comparing their previous situations -- as players without impressive stats because of limited playing time, but who still intrigued GMs around the league. Before he was sent to Indiana, O'Neal mostly sat on the bench and was unproductive. When he was given big minutes, he showed a big game. ACE's analogy was given in hopes of ERob breaking through in a similar fashion.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nater</b>!

I think it's pretty clear that he wasn't comparing Robinson and O'Neal at their current levels, nor was he comparing their positions or style of play. He was comparing their previous situations -- as players without impressive stats because of limited playing time, but who still intrigued GMs around the league. Before he was sent to Indiana, O'Neal mostly sat on the bench and was unproductive. When he was given big minutes, he showed a big game. ACE's analogy was given in hopes of ERob breaking through in a similar fashion.
Point taken.

Yet the same comparision can be said for any young, relatively inexperienced bench player not getting major minutes. The comparision (though a loose one at that) breaks down b/c Eddie Robinson simply hasn't shown anything other than dunks. He started 12 games last seasons (two less than in two full seasons in CHA) and didn't show game even remotely worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as O'Neal. And toe injury or not, he has to show more.

So instead of just banking on other's comparisions... here's one of my own. Eddie Robinson and Austin Croshere. Both had a nice playoff run after a few regular seasons w/ limited minutes. Both signed for more than they should have. Both teams are currently eating their contracts.

VD

·
Registered
520 Posts
Erob has shown he can do more than just dunk. He's a 50% fg shooter, many of those shots are on the "ugly" jumper that people like to rip on. Everyone just has to wait to see how he does when he's healthy, ASSUMING he will be. His contract seems overinflated because the free agent market this year is totally different. The fact that he was injured most of last year obviously makes everyone re-think his signing. I'm not ruling out the fact that Erob might be a bust.. he should develop 3-pt range, drive more, play harder D, etc., but the bashing at this point seems really premature.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I don't see the point of trading E-Rob for Kukoc. Kukoc doesn't play defense and gets injured all the time as well. I'm willing to give E-Rob a chance and see what he can do. His trade value isn't high so why bother? Keep him for the start of the season and let him earn the paycheck instead of shipping him off for a equally broken down guy who really won't help the team all that much.

If E-Rob is healthy he just might be the player the Bulls need. I want to wait and see before we trade him for Shawn Bradley or something horrible like that.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The whole ERob thing is a symptom of the fact that nothing's happening right now. We can beat it to death until October, since we won't have any new information until then.

All this speculation about Robinson is sneaking into my Top 10 Reasons I Can't Wait for the Season to Start list. At least then we'll have something substantive to discuss.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Originally posted by <b>transplant</b>!

All this speculation about Robinson is sneaking into my Top 10 Reasons I Can't Wait for the Season to Start list. At least then we'll have something substantive to discuss.
I demand you post your Top 10 list! :laugh:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Eddie Robinson?

Last offseason the Chicago Bulls #1 target that offseason was Eddie Robinson.

The Bulls where very interested in Robinson after in the Hornets' first-round sweep of the Miami Heat, the second-year forward averaged 12.0 points and 4.7 rebounds, shooting a blistering .708 from the floor.

But in the past year Eddie Robinson is not the same player lots of the Bulls management expected and also Bulls fans. Eddie Robinson sign a 5 years 32 million dollar contract with the Chicago Bulls last offseason.

Eddie Robinson was very positive about himself coming into the 2001-2002 season and also the fans where behind him all the way. But an injury that kept E-rob half of the season on the bench turn his season into a painful one.

Eddie Robinson was the guy all the fans and management were behind after he sign with the Bulls. But since the 2001-2002 season ended fans have been calling Eddie Robinson a bust and a E-Robbery like some fans say. Also the Bulls management is also have try to trade him a couple of times already. But why all this.

I think that the Bulls should give Eddie Robinson a chance. Eddie wasent healthy and they still want to get rid of him with out giving him a chance u never know we might be getting rid of a star. I think that the bulls should give him a fair chance before they trade him.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Re: Eddie Robinson?

Originally posted by <b>holv03</b>!
Last offseason the Chicago Bulls #1 target that offseason was Eddie Robinson.

The Bulls where very interested in Robinson after in the Hornets' first-round sweep of the Miami Heat, the second-year forward averaged 12.0 points and 4.7 rebounds, shooting a blistering .708 from the floor.

But in the past year Eddie Robinson is not the same player lots of the Bulls management expected and also Bulls fans. Eddie Robinson sign a 5 years 32 million dollar contract with the Chicago Bulls last offseason.

Eddie Robinson was very positive about himself coming into the 2001-2002 season and also the fans where behind him all the way. But an injury that kept E-rob half of the season on the bench turn his season into a painful one.

Eddie Robinson was the guy all the fans and management were behind after he sign with the Bulls. But since the 2001-2002 season ended fans have been calling Eddie Robinson a bust and a E-Robbery like some fans say. Also the Bulls management is also have try to trade him a couple of times already. But why all this.

I think that the Bulls should give Eddie Robinson a chance. Eddie wasent healthy and they still want to get rid of him with out giving him a chance u never know we might be getting rid of a star. I think that the bulls should give him a fair chance before they trade him.
No, I think he has proven last season that rest, was NOT the answer. Each and every time he stepped back onto the court, no matter HOW LONG he sat and rested his foot, his toezy woezy pain flaired up. I am not trying to make a joke outta his pain, however, IF I were making $32Mil, I WOULD make darn sure I got my problem fixed! I MIGHT give him the first 10 games, including preseason to prove his status. That would be ALL I would give em. Now, Crawford, on the other hand, deserves MORE of a chance to prove himself on the court....he DID come back from a DEVASTATING injury last season and truly does deserve a "proving period.":upset:

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
ERob & Ron Harper.....

There is another comparison I'd like to make to ERob. Not because of his style of play, but because of his situation with the Bulls.

When the Bulls first signed Ron Harper, I remember many fans feeling like we were overpaying for a washed up player coming off of surgery. This was when Jordan left, and everyone was expecting Ron to pick up where MJ left off. I remember quotes like "Bulls lose again, thanks to another triple-single by Harper".

What did Harper do? Evolve his game, get healthy, and help win three championships. Could another guard have done the same? Maybe. My point is that you shouldn't be too quick to judge a player coming off an injury. If Krause felt that ERob had nothing to offer, you can be sure he'd find a way to trade or at least minimize the contract debt. He hasn't done so, so we have to assume that ERob will either be a contributor or bring back some value in a trade.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Harper has MJ to lean on, and Harper was able to refine his game to suit what the Bulls needed with MJ on the team. E-Rob has Fred Hoiberg and Corey Blount to lean on. Not the same.

If MJ would of stayed retired the first time Harper would have been a bust. Harper did not have the capability to score and run the floor like he did early in his career. With MJ around Harper became more of a defensive minded player. He could fit in on this team.

E-Rob is 25 years old and was brought in as Krause's "big signing", the guy he was targeting. E-Rob does not have the option of just blending in because the Bulls stink!! He was brought in as a big piece of the puzzle.

I don't think he should get traded. If you are going to get garbage for him you might as well keep him around and give him a chance to prove Krause right.

I just see the guy, even when healthy, as a dunk show contestant who is too skinny, rebounds lousy, and doesn't defend well. We have nothing but one-dimensional players at the moment, and most of them cannot play D.

The Bulls can score points now, but cannot defend. This will translate into another long season if Krause does not get the finger out and bring in proven quality instead of potential or one dimensional players.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
I have merged an Eddie Robinson thread with this one, since they both question his worth as a player....

In my personal response, I just have to agree with most people's opinions. He's an athletic bench player right now, with the upside and potential to explode at SF but chronic health problems may hold him back.

He's just a big question mark, and I'm glad we have one more insignificant season (insignificant in the sense that we most likely won't be making a title run) to find out what kind of player he really is... I'd say that JK will take at least until the trading deadline of this year before shipping him off, if he even can.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.