Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm pretty sure that everyone has heard Walton say things that defied logic. But this comment was totally beyond my comprehension.

Josh (Dallas): Is Dirk Nowitzki your frontrunner for MVP? if the mavs can somehow get healthy for the playoffs can they beat the Spurs?

Bill Walton: He's right up there at the top. This is one of the toughest MVP races in memory for me. He's up there with Billups and Nash. If Dallas were leading the West -- and I don't think they'll win the conference -- I think he would be the leader. Kobe has not been playing as well nor has LeBron, so Dirk is up there with Chauncey and Nash. I'll make that decision and make my vote public. But I will say that what Dirk has done has been incredible, going from being traded for Tractor Traylor. He plays like an MVP whether or not he wins it, though.

This comment I find both inexplicable and unsupportable. Kobe have averaged 36.4/3.2/5.0 over the last five and LeBron has had 40/7/8.4. Now if you want to say that you weight team performance over individual performance, okay then just state that. But c'mon, saying that they haven't been playing well is just lying.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Nothing wrong with Bill Walton, he's just being Bill Walton.

Btw I wonder if his speech impediment and the techniques for dealing with it causes him to say some things unclearly? Such as Kobe and LBJ not playing as well- perhaps he meant team wins?

· Registered
37 Posts
He answers questions like that all the time.
He isnt that careful about what he says, jsut says what is on his mind

· Registered
4,411 Posts
CiMa said:
Walton also said Duncan should be on first all-nba team just because the Spurs are the best team in the west.
Yeah, he snubbed James off the All NBA 1st team. I was like WTF? when i heard that. Its kind of disturbing you have people like him making an impact on actual votes.

· Registered
327 Posts
KOBEDUNKEDONSHAQ said:
Yeah, he snubbed James off the All NBA 1st team. I was like WTF? when i heard that. Its kind of disturbing you have people like him making an impact on actual votes.
I think it's more disturbing that there are people out there who allow a comment like this to have an impact on their vote...not the other way around. He can say whatever he wants. Bill Walton used to say much worse when he first started on television - it seemed he hated all young players.

· Registered
2,157 Posts
Bill Walton is the best, he can say whatever he wants.

Maybe in his mind scoring isn't such a good thing (it's not like he ever did much of that), he seems like some rambling guy trying not to sound crazy, but everyone knows he is.

· Registered
8,351 Posts
he played for john wooden, won a championship under jack ramsay and won another alongside bird and co. you may want to listen to what he says. where he comes from is team success. kobe will barely take his team to the playoffs and same with james. there are a lot of guys that could score 30 a night if they jacked up as many shots as these guys. when you're talking mvp it should be a guy that is outsanding and also lifts his teammates to play better especially ones that arent the most talented guys out there. mvp would be between dirk,billups and nash if i were picking, most likely between the first two. as for 1st team nba, you have to have nash and billups and you have to have dirk and timmy and either yao or shaq. thats the way i see it.

· Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rainman said:
he played for john wooden, won a championship under jack ramsay and won another alongside bird and co. you may want to listen to what he says. where he comes from is team success. kobe will barely take his team to the playoffs and same with james. there are a lot of guys that could score 30 a night if they jacked up as many shots as these guys. when you're talking mvp it should be a guy that is outsanding and also lifts his teammates to play better especially ones that arent the most talented guys out there. mvp would be between dirk,billups and nash if i were picking, most likely between the first two. as for 1st team nba, you have to have nash and billups and you have to have dirk and timmy and either yao or shaq. thats the way i see it.
So you are running this through your Walton filter and are saying that he is equating the individual playing well with the team winning? Ah, so when he says that Kobe and LeBron are not playing well, he's actually saying that those teams are not winning. Now I understand. Of course it does confuse me since in their last 10 games the Cavaliers and 8-2, the Lakers 7-3, while Detroit is also 8-2 but Phoenix and Dallas are only 5-5. I do agree that many could reach 30 if they took more shots, of course that's only if they can maintain the same efficiency and shooting percentages. That's the hard part. Fact is LeBron takes more shots because his team needs him to score (I know far less about Kobe, but believe it to be about the same).

· Registered
1,088 Posts
The OUTLAW said:
So you are running this through your Walton filter and are saying that he is equating the individual playing well with the team winning? Ah, so when he says that Kobe and LeBron are not playing well, he's actually saying that those teams are not winning. Now I understand. Of course it does confuse me since in their last 10 games the Cavaliers and 8-2, the Lakers 7-3, while Detroit is also 8-2 but Phoenix and Dallas are only 5-5. I do agree that many could reach 30 if they took more shots, of course that's only if they can maintain the same efficiency and shooting percentages. That's the hard part. Fact is LeBron takes more shots because his team needs him to score (I know far less about Kobe, but believe it to be about the same).
I don't think MVPs are judged on a 10 games scale.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.