Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which NBA team do you think has the most potential down the road? Used to be hands down the Clippers, but Andre Miller doesn't have the scary upside of Darius Miles. But I still think they are the best . Sorry didn't take this years draft picks into account.

1. LA Clippers- Elton Brand is an all star for years to come, Andre Miller is just plain smooth. IF Odom straightens out he could be special. Also Richardson, Maggette, Olowakandi, Wilcox, Ely could all develop into pretty good players ( i know Q and Kandi are tight now) if not better.

2. Chicago Bulls- Jason Williams is already a respected Point Guard (US team spot), Tyson Chandler has some of the best shot blocking potential ever + he will have nifty scoring and rebounding ability, Eddy Curry could be a monster. Add in Fizer and Crawford who could be pretty good if they got minutes and Jalen Rose is will still be young enough to contribute.

3. Houston Rockets- Steve Francis is already a top echelon point guard and could still get better. Yao Ming could dominate the Center position for years to come. Eddie Griffin has some fire, not to mention pretty good skills and athleticism just has to keep his head on straight. Cuttino Mobley isn't exactly a scrub either.

4. Indiana Pacers- Jermaine O'Neal will become a top 10 player within two years. Jon Bender is raw like a mug, but needs to get him some minutes, because he could probably be doing pretty good right now, Ron Artest is a lock down defender with some tangent of O, Jamaal Tinsley is a good pure point, Also Ron Mercer can score, Brad Miller is decent, and theres more. Most importantly FIRE Isiah!!!!

5. Cleveland Cavaliers- I'm a big supporter of Wagner and Miles could score with the best of them, also if they keep Ricky Davis (PLEASE!) he'll at worst be solid. Plus I may be the only one but DeSagana Diop has only been in the league one year and has reportedly been working hard this summer, so maybe.

Apologies to Nuggets, Lakers*, Magic*, Boston*, Phoenix, and I'm probably forgetting someone.

* It's no fun picking teams who have great stars in their early-mid twenties

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
All these teams have great potential. Now or Later
They're young & very talented. I selected 2 teams, that have great expectations next season.

1) Pacers lead the way here - They're already there, it's just a matter of time, JO will continue to improve on his O & D, R. Artest will make the All NBA defensive team, and will be a shut down type of defender against the teams best at 2 or 3 . They're deep and ready. Let's just hope " COACH " know's a different type of motive next year.

2) The Clipps will make huge strides - with addition of DreDay, they now have a true floor leader to run with them, Brand will continue to put up big double-doubles, LO is looking for a healthy year, they're very deep and very talented as well. They can be seeded as high as #5 or #6 in the playoffs.

When it comes down to it, remaining healthy is the key for both of these teams

:yes: ;) :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
what about the mavs? yeah they're already one of the best teams in the league. but when i look at them i see a lot of potential.

i also like the potential in the clipps and bulls.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Nobody ever seems to even mention the Nets when talking about these types of posts, but they definately deserve it.

Kenyon Martin is an ultra-athletic PF, that can shutdown almost anyone (ask Jermaine O'Neal), and is developing a very good offensive game.

Richard Jefferson is an ultra-athletic SG, that has an unreal work ethic (he says he wants to play in the summer-league again next year, even after dominated it this year... he led the camp in scoring and in assists per game), and looks very good for someone who's only played the 2/3 for 4 years, after playing just center in highschool. He explodes to the basket like a star already.

Jason Collins is a legit 7-footer that defended Shaq very respectably as a rookie. At times, he's showed decent offensive talent as well, but at the very least, he's going to be a very good defensive center.

Nedad Krstic was arguably the best player in the Youth world championships, after averaging roughly 15-11. He's a legit 7-footer, and already has a lot of talent. His only major weakness is that he'll need to bulk up if he wants to play center in the NBA.

And I think Tamar Slay is going to wind up being a very good player.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I'd move houston ahead of the bulls.

Yep, Jefferson is going to be a huge star for the nets... they have a great team up there in NJ now. At the very least, from what the got from those trades is that Jefferson is going to get more playing time, which is a great thing.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
1. Clippers
2. Pacers
3. Rockets
4. Bulls
5. Cavs

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
re: BBall fan

Nenad Kristic averaged 13 points in the Euro U-20. Kenyon Martin is almost 26, so potential talk regarding him is moot. And Jason Collins averaged like 14 fouls per 48 minutes in the Championship, he didn't stop Shaq at all, T-Mac II and Aaron Williams did better jobs. The Nets' 3 better young players are Jefferson who is turning 23 soon, Martin who is soon 26, and Kristic whose turning 20 mid-season. Martin doesn't have that much upward potential. These are my top 3:

1. Clippers: 4 guys in the starting lineup that could be all-stars this year and the oldest is only 26 (Olowokandi). Maggette will have a chance to prosper this year because he's moving back to SG and Q is a great scoring threat but needs some more D, but both at 22 have another year or two to get into the grove of things. Dre is the 2nd most efficient PG in the NBA, Kandi is a top 5 center and climbing, Brand is a top 5 PF and getting better, and Lamar Odom is poised for a huge season. Not to mention Wilcox, Ely, Dooling and Jaric. Dooling has really only played one season becuase of injury, Wilcox has huge potential, Ely is already solid, and Jaric is a Euro-superstar at 23.

2. Pacers: Jermaine O'Neal is a top 6 or 7 PF and is all-star caliber although he needs more consistancy and clutch. Artest is a great defender but needs to learn that when he gets the ball he doesn't have to shoot. Bender could be good but his D is aweful, but he's athletic and good shooter. Tinsley's season was a bit of a fluke becuase in reality he's a quite selfish player, also he needs to learn to shoot and when to. Brad Miller has pretty much maxed his potential, but he should learn how to play D. Al Harrington really doesn't have as much potential as people think but he's still solid. Freddie Jones will excite peeps but he doesn't have great potential.

3.Bulls: Jay Williams is a great scorer and a decent passer but very turnover prone, he also needs better D. Chandler is raw, but athletic and a very good defensive player when he's not in foul trouble (which is not often), and although most do, I don't see great offensive things from him in the future becuase he has little range and no handles. Eddy Curry is the opposite of Chandler, he's very solid offensively when he's not in foul trouble and needs work on D, also getting more athletic as he looses weight. Crawford has potential but not as much as peeps think, he's a good shooter, he's tall, but he isn't a true PG and he's aweful on D. As for Fizer, there is no potential there.

notes:
1. Jermaine O'Neal is 24 in October, Brand is 24 next March, and Chandler is 20 this month (or next month,??).
2. Lamar Odom is 23 in December, Bender is 22 next January, Al Harrington is 23 next February, Chris Wilcox turned 20 last week, Ron Artest is 23 in November, Corey Maggette is 23 in December, Quentin Richardson is 23 next April, Freddie Jones is 24 next March, Keyon Dooling is 22 next May, Marko Jaric is 24 in December, Ander Miller is 27 next March, Michael Olowokandi is 27 next April, Jamaal Tinsley is 25 next February.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Re: re: BBall fan

Originally posted by <b>TheGoods</b>!
Nenad Kristic averaged 13 points in the Euro U-20. Kenyon Martin is almost 26, so potential talk regarding him is moot. And Jason Collins averaged like 14 fouls per 48 minutes in the Championship, he didn't stop Shaq at all, T-Mac II and Aaron Williams did better jobs. The Nets' 3 better young players are Jefferson who is turning 23 soon, Martin who is soon 26, and Kristic whose turning 20 mid-season. Martin doesn't have that much upward potential. These are my top 3:
Kenyon Martin might almost be 26, but he's only entering his 3rd year in the NBA. He without a doubt can still improve... and become a much bigger force offensively.

If you don't think Collins hindered Shaq at all, and Mac and Williams did a better job, you didn't watch the finals. mac and Williams did nothing but get dunked on... Collins played Shaq very tough.

Martin's shot has been improving since he's been in the league. Martin's post-moves have been improving since he's been in the league. Martin, in general, has improved at almost every aspect of the game since he's been in the league... just because he's almost 26, it doesn't mean that he can't improve significantly anymore. He's just a 3rd year player.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Great JWalk</b>!

4. Indiana Pacers- Jermaine O'Neal will become a top 10 player within two years. Jon Bender is raw like a mug, but needs to get him some minutes, because he could probably be doing pretty good right now, Ron Artest is a lock down defender with some tangent of O, Jamaal Tinsley is a good pure point, Also Ron Mercer can score, Brad Miller is decent, and theres more. Most importantly FIRE Isiah!!!!

* It's no fun picking teams who have great stars in their early-mid twenties
Why fire Isiah?... He's done a very respectable job in takin' a very young team, with the exception of Reggie, to two years straight into the playoffs... And was a win away from unseeding the Eastern Conference Champs... Speaking of the Nets let's compare say what Isiah has done to his counterpart Byron Scott...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isiah:
Regualar Season Playoffs
YEAR TEAM WINS LOSSES PCT WINS LOSSES PCT

00-01 Indiana 41 41 .500 1 3 .250
01-02 Indiana 42 40 .512 2 3 .400

TOTALS 83 81 .506 3 6 .333

Byron:
Regualar Season Playoffs
YEAR TEAM WINS LOSSES PCT WINS LOSSES PCT

00-01 NJ 26 56 .317 0 0 .000
01-02 NJ 52 30 .634 11 9 .550

TOTALS 78 86 .476 11 9 .550

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both have similar records for their first two years in the league with Isiah having the slight edge in regular season play... The reason the Nets are in the Finals, let alone the playoffs is b/c of Kidd... Kidd is the only reason that the Nets are legitimate... I cannot say the same for Scott as a coach.. Both Zeke and Byron came in the league together with fragments of talent resembling a team... Both inherited young teams when they entered the league but Isiah still did better... Granted the team that Isiah inherited previously went to the finals... But when Larry Legend decided to retire and the Pacers cleaned house, Isiah was left with a less then championship caliber team...

Isiah is exactly what this team needs... He works well with young players and young players work well under him... (i.e. Damon Stodamaire back in TO)

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Heck with that I say the

1. Wizards- Kwame Brown,Brendan Haywood,Etan Thomas,Jared Jefferies,Rip Hamilton, Juan Dixon, Larry Hughes,Rod Grizzard, Juan Navvarro. and Jordan making smart moves to steadily upgrade a talented young team , Rip will be an allstar before long as will Brown, Haywood ,and Jeffries, Wiz young bigmen are better than the bulls young bigmen, Haywood rookie of the month last year no bulls did that,

2. BULLS-Chandler and Curry are going to both be nasty in a few years, but Kwame's still better and Crawford,Williams and Hassel make them tough. will be Bulls and the Wiz as rivalry in 4 years.

3.Indiana -Harrington is the young budding star if knee is healthy, J O'neal is still developing which is a scary thought, Artest is a tough sob but a possible headcase, Bender needs minutes to finally develope which probably won't happen there, and Isiah was one of my favorite players but I agree he has to go erratic sub patterns,personal conflicts with players, he needs to be shown the door.

4. Clippers- good talent to much to name but THIS MEANS NOTHING MANAGEMENT ISN'T COMMITED TO WINNING SO EVERY YEAR THEY WILL BE CONTENT TO SIT IN THE LOTTERY REPLACING GUYS AS THEY LEAVE WILL BE NO DIFFERENT THIS YEAR, STERLING SAYS IT ALL THE TIME I'LL SPEND MONEY BUT NEVER DOES, Traded for Miller but has Miller signed an extension yet No I could be wrong but I doubt it, if he spends the dough they go to the TOP OF THIS LIST.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
1.Bulls(Jay Williams,Tyson Chandler,Eddie Curry how can you say there dont have the most pontenail)

2.Pacer(O'Neal,Harrington,Bender,Tinsley..Harrington will be a star he get some time to play and same with bender both are still in there 20-22 and O'Neal is already a top player and he is like 21-23)

3.Clippers(Cant say they got so much Pontenail because most of there players are doing great now)

4.Warriors(Arenas,Murphy,Jaminson,Dunleavy,Logan a few years down the road they will be a .500 team)

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jazzy1</b>!
Heck with that I say the

1. Wizards- Kwame Brown,Brendan Haywood,Etan Thomas,Jared Jefferies,Rip Hamilton, Juan Dixon, Larry Hughes,Rod Grizzard, Juan Navvarro. and Jordan making smart moves to steadily upgrade a talented young team , Rip will be an allstar before long as will Brown, Haywood ,and Jeffries, Wiz young bigmen are better than the bulls young bigmen, Haywood rookie of the month last year no bulls did that,
This is funny. Did you ever stop to think that Haywood spent 4 years at a major college and Chandler and Curry came out of H.S.? That may explain why no Bull won rookie of the month. Haywood, Thomas, Dixon, Navarro, Hughes, Grizzard are all role players. Kwame could be a star, but he is a little behind. Rip could be gone if you don't offer the Max, but he is good. He won't make an all-star team in the East. Too many swingmen. The Wiz are Ok, but to put tem #1 is ludicrous....

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jazzy1</b>!

2. BULLS-Chandler and Curry are going to both be nasty in a few years, but Kwame's still better and Crawford,Williams and Hassel make them tough. will be Bulls and the Wiz as rivalry in 4 years.
Can you explain what makes Kwame better than Curry and Chandler? Whatever it is, he didn't show it on the court and until he does, Post Edited by Shadows- No need to start something. Your opinion on his posts was made.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
This is a tough one in some ways.

I love the potential of the Clippers, but will they stay together as a unit?

The Pacers have been building talent for a few years now and to me they have a loaded roster. If they don't get further than they have the last 2 years in this upcoming season, then I will assume that Thomas is not improving as a coach. To me, the pacers have every position covered - twice!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Short term it would have to be the Pacers. They are about ready to explode. Long term it will be the Bulls. They have a young core(Curry, Chandler, Wiliams) that would kill the league later on. All 3 of them have the talent to be super stars, I think in 7-8 years they will when a title and will continue to win it year after year for a while. I believe that they can be a dynast in 7-10 years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't forget the Suns...

Let's not forget about Phoenix when talking about potential. Marbury, Marion, Johnson, Stoudamire, and Tsakalitis are all under 26, and are all improving (Tsak especially...watch for big things from him this season). If Phoenix grabs yet another lottery pick this year, this team could be waiting in the wings when Shaq hangs it up.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Re: Don't forget the Suns...

Originally posted by <b>Sunsfan</b>!
Let's not forget about Phoenix when talking about potential. Marbury, Marion, Johnson, Stoudamire, and Tsakalitis are all under 26, and are all improving (Tsak especially...watch for big things from him this season). If Phoenix grabs yet another lottery pick this year, this team could be waiting in the wings when Shaq hangs it up.
Totally agree....

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Re: Don't forget the Suns...

Originally posted by <b>Sunsfan</b>!
Nice point! One does tend to forget that the suns are young, so to speak. They started rebuilding last year.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.