Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was trying to think of a good question to ask Pax, the first thing that came to mind was the fact that the players on the Bulls are suited for very different types of offensive schemes. As I said in that post, we all think ERob would be much better in a fast-break uptempo offense (ala Nets or Nugz) but guys like AD and Fizer can't really run the floor well and are better for a grinding "inside-out" halfcourt set ("inside-forcedshot" in Fizer's case).

I'm interested to see what type of offense you guys think we should be running. A few options off the top of my head are: Nets/Nuggets fast-break, Pistons/Celtics circa Eastern Conf. Finals/Seattle three-pointer based halfcourt set, Kings precision passing and cuts, or the Mav's fairly wide-open style, based simply on the fact that they have enough offensive playmakers to get buckets without a specific method. I'm sure that other people can revise mine and add more ways that teams get the ball in the basket.

The point being: as far as I can tell from watching games, we don't have any plan on offense apart from a few curls run from time to time and lots of 16-18 ft jumpers. We have some young personnel (Kirk, Jamal, maybe Eddy if he weren't out of shape) who are still evolving as players and could be potentially more successful with a good plan on offense. What type of offense do you guys think we should strive towards? And do you think we should start examining draftees and FA's with that offensive philosophy in mind?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I like Seattle's. Because they have the personel to do so. I would love to see the Bulls have that offense if we had the personel, but alas, we don't. I just like the run up the court and take the first open look you get, just is more fun to watch, if it is run correctly, not jacking up shots.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
In the pros, the players make the system.. period.

The Nets and Kings run a version of the Princeton offense. High post passer, back screens, cuts to the basket, basically a motion offense involving all 5 players. Eddie Jordan is a disciple of that philosophy, but Arenas has been hurt much of the year in Washington. Spurs don't have a set offense, it flows off the creativity of Duncan in the post. The Lakers still run a version of the triangle.

It'd be hard to quantify exactly what the Bulls are doing. Not many posters here on BB.net are privy to the basketball knowledge and experience as former NBA players or current coaches. But I will reiterate that the players make the system in the pros.

Once offseason goal would definitely be to acquire personnel that take the ball to the hole and finish. We have been lacking in that since the dynasty days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.