Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you think the blazers can pull themselves out of the ashes and compete next season, or do we set some franchise lows next season. we should have a balanced lineup if sar leaves, and either miles or ruben starts, but we have a 2nd yr 20 year old pg, no sg but da the glass, and zach is coming back from knee surgery. we are good defensively at center with przy and theo, but przy has proven himself to be a starter in this league, so theo will get maybe 20 minutes a night. but im guessing its going to be another lotto team, because even with vets this season we underpormed i think. theres was no reason for this team to not be an above .500 team when it started out, or even a playoff team. theres talent, but someone needs to step up. damon tried, but i thinmk zach needs to take this offseason and see what he wants to be. i think he could be the next malone if he just busts his butt and plays the way he can play. a 2 guard would help him so much as far as taking pressure off. malone had stockton and hornacek(however you spell it), and zach pretty much has nobody who is clutch.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Too many changes in store to be able to predict. They could be anywhere from a mid playoff team to a lottery team. Although I think if they are a lottery team it will be because they just missed the playoffs.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
There's too much time between now and then. I think it's possible the team improves next year as they start to gel a little better. A new coach will be a huge factor, any trades could be a factor the draft will be a factor...

My best guess is the team will be a little better than this year, maybe more like 35 wins.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
As we are "now" (not including expiring contracts) -- We're a 25 win team.

However, for each position we properly fill, we can add probably 5 wins. To wit:

A good starting SG: +5
A good backup PG: +5
A good coach: +5 wins

Change "good" to "excellent" in any of those positions, and you can probably change +5 to +7 or so. So:

Worst case scenario: 25 wins.
Best case scenario: 46 wins.
In-between: 35 wins.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we know who we have and we know who is leaving. we also know what we have for trade bait, and it isn't much as our highest paid players had bad seasons, except zach who was injured. its safe to say we will be a lotto team, as we need to depend on rookies who aren't tested, or have done much in the league.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Portland is going to get the 16th pick next year! :D

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
too much could happen

nash could be still here, gone or a scout

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I agree at a basic level with BlazerCaravan... I see us getting around 30 wins next year as the team is built.

I disagree with those of you who say it's too early to make predictions. IMO, it's NEVER too early to make predictions unless you're worried about being wrong or you're not willing to account for potential changes.

Absent some major moves from the team, and considering their inability/unwillingness to make big moves in over a year that's a good bet, I'd say we'll end up picking about #7 next year. A little better than this season.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
BlazerCaravan said:
As we are "now" (not including expiring contracts) -- We're a 25 win team.

However, for each position we properly fill, we can add probably 5 wins. To wit:

A good starting SG: +5
A good backup PG: +5
A good coach: +5 wins

Change "good" to "excellent" in any of those positions, and you can probably change +5 to +7 or so. So:

Worst case scenario: 25 wins.
Best case scenario: 46 wins.
In-between: 35 wins.
Hey, Nostradamus, what are Saturday night's Powerball numbers? :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
we have the talent we just need a good coach , look what Karl has done for Denver and they looked dead before he got there

1 - 16 of 16 Posts