Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Randolph has shown himself to be a highly impressionable follower. Early in his career he was following Rasheed Wallace and it seemed to be good for him. Right now he seems to be following Miles and it's going very badly.

Going with the theory that he's not beyond saving I'm wondering if there's any player that would be able to motivate him toward greatness. Is there anyone available that we could try to obtain?

I've got two categories

1. Draft
I'm thinking of guys like Morrison, Aldridge, etc that would be available if we get the first pick. Could any of these guys motivate Randolph to work hard and become the 25/12 superstar we previously hoped for?

2. Trade.
Since we don't have any cap space this is our only other option. I don't think so. Anyone we could get with the pieces we have wouldn't be able motivate Randolph enough. But I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
My friend and I were talking about this today. Zach is way better when he's got another post who's an offensive threat playing along side him.

The rest rest of our discussion was trying to think of another player in the NBA that favors his dominate hand more than Zach does. Defenders will square their chest with Zach's left shoulder, all but giving him a right-handed layup, yet he can't go right. If Zach would spend the entire summer working on secondary moves that start out going left, then spinning back and finishing with his right hand.

To answer your question, I think you'd have to trade for a vet to show Zach the way, because he's not going to follow a rookies lead coming straight out of college.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
shaq would :p

i think it would take a firey type play with real leader qualities could do it might have to bee a vetarn but if it was a younger player he would have to back down from no one and be able to bring it on the floor. Say if three younger players start giving him beef and showing him then he might: telfiar jack and morrison? thats a firey leadership triad that could make any player minus miles of course do better.

then agian to motivate zbo if could be a vet or young pf that could take his spot as the start to push him to be better.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Nate McMillan could motivate Randolph himself. Stop making him the first option on offense. Continue to play him mega minutes, but don't make him the first option. As for a player I choose someone that has been or is an all star. Zach is fixated with numbers and the all star game.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you put some good talent around Z-bo, and we were a winning team he would get all-stat consideration. Someone who Zach looks up to and respects, and will listen to (think Scottie Pippen type).

Someone who can take the defensive pressure off him so he doesn't have to always guard the team's better low post player. Keep Joel, as he is good shot blocker that erases player's mistakes.

And Zach needs better shooters around him to open up his game. Everyone who watches the Blazers play, see that teams are always double, sometimes triple teaming Zach and daring the outside shooters to beat us. Zach sometimes gets frusrated, as this is his first year of "being the man" and that's when you see him start to force shots. Hopefully Martel can be that 2 guard, but we need a good 3 point shooter at the 3. Portland, since 2000, when we got Pippen, who was a decent 3 point shooter, hasn't had a SF that could drain the 3pointer with good % since the "99" squad with Walt Williams. That would also open up Zach's game more.

But if you look at Zach at the beginning the year, he is a better player today. He is slowly learning, becoming a better passer for sure, and getting a little better at defense and steals. He still needs to be more mentally strong, and not let teams take him out the game. And learn to trust his teammates more. But these are things he can improve on. You don't just learn to become the franchise player and leader in the first year. It takes a little time.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
mediocre man said:
Nate McMillan could motivate Randolph himself. Stop making him the first option on offense. Continue to play him mega minutes, but don't make him the first option. As for a player I choose someone that has been or is an all star. Zach is fixated with numbers and the all star game.
I'm sure part of the reason he wants to be an All Star is because his contract is set up so he gets more $$$ if he makes the All Star team.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
BEER&BASKETBALL said:
I'm sure part of the reason he wants to be an All Star is because his contract is set up so he gets more $$$ if he makes the All Star team.

LOL sorry. Numbers minutes all star games and money. That's what I meant :biggrin:

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
mediocre man said:
LOL sorry. Numbers minutes all star games and money. That's what I meant :biggrin:
:)

Not sure exactly how his contract is set up, but I remember reading something like if he makes the All Star team he gets a bonus, and if he makes it every year of the deal, his contract will end up being a "max" deal because of the bonuses. It was a way to make Zach's agent happy, so he could brag that he "got Zach a max deal", which we all know it wont end up being.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
I was watching the 2000 Blazer team beat Utah on NBA Classic the other night. if Randolph were on that squad, there's not a fan alive who'd be calling for his head right now.

Zach just HAS to have at least one teammate who consistently drops 18-22 ppg every night. he's just going to get beaten down, more selfish, less likely to rebound, and more defensive (but not defense-oriented) without that guy to take some of the pressure off of him.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
BEER&BASKETBALL said:
:)

Not sure exactly how his contract is set up, but I remember reading something like if he makes the All Star team he gets a bonus, and if he makes it every year of the deal, his contract will end up being a "max" deal because of the bonuses. It was a way to make Zach's agent happy, so he could brag that he "got Zach a max deal", which we all know it wont end up being.
I think the deal is, if he makes the all star team once, he gets $2 million extra. Nothing more for multiple appearances. I doubt that $2 million is all that's motivating Zach.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sheed30 said:
If you put some good talent around Z-bo, and we were a winning team he would get all-stat consideration. Someone who Zach looks up to and respects, and will listen to (think Scottie Pippen type).

Someone who can take the defensive pressure off him so he doesn't have to always guard the team's better low post player. Keep Joel, as he is good shot blocker that erases player's mistakes.

And Zach needs better shooters around him to open up his game. Everyone who watches the Blazers play, see that teams are always double, sometimes triple teaming Zach and daring the outside shooters to beat us. Zach sometimes gets frusrated, as this is his first year of "being the man" and that's when you see him start to force shots. Hopefully Martel can be that 2 guard, but we need a good 3 point shooter at the 3. Portland, since 2000, when we got Pippen, who was a decent 3 point shooter, hasn't had a SF that could drain the 3pointer with good % since the "99" squad with Walt Williams. That would also open up Zach's game more.

But if you look at Zach at the beginning the year, he is a better player today. He is slowly learning, becoming a better passer for sure, and getting a little better at defense and steals. He still needs to be more mentally strong, and not let teams take him out the game. And learn to trust his teammates more. But these are things he can improve on. You don't just learn to become the franchise player and leader in the first year. It takes a little time.
Zach is a follower, and getting rid of Miles is Job #1. Zach would be great as a #2-3 option, which is how Nate wants to run his offense: see Seattle's perimeter offense where the PF collects rebounds and get the occasional post up. Of course, we have no Allen/Lewis here in Portland.

Shooters who can play defense are what Zach needs. Martell has been playing more SF on defense lately, and Nate says he wants a veteran SG to blend with this team. Since Pierce is averse to a Portland trade, Brandon Roy would provide the skill set necessary for Zach to flourish.

He and Martell would be able to spread the floor, allow Zach more room to operate. Zach, with the burden of scoring 20+ a night, would have the opportunity to re-dedicate himself to offensive rebounding. Zach at 17/13 a night leads to many more wins than 24/8 does.

I could see a Richard Jefferson providing the same skills that Brandon Roy does, but a doubt NJ would be willing to deal him.

An additional post presence with the Det pick or 2nd round pick would be nice: Nick Fazekas or Paul Davis fit in this spot.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Zach will never be great. It's that simple.

He doesn't defend well, and will never be much of a presence on that end of the floor.

He's a clever offensive player with soft hands and a nose for the ball, but he doesn't elevate well and doesn't finish strong around the basket.

It doesn't mean he's not a good player, and it doesn't mean that he's not capable of improving. I just think it's a false question to ask which player could make him "great". Because he'll never be there, and asking why he's not there yet just sets us all up for disappointment and anger that Zach isn't more than he is.

Ed O.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
Ed O said:
Zach will never be great. It's that simple.

He doesn't defend well, and will never be much of a presence on that end of the floor.

He's a clever offensive player with soft hands and a nose for the ball, but he doesn't elevate well and doesn't finish strong around the basket.

It doesn't mean he's not a good player, and it doesn't mean that he's not capable of improving. I just think it's a false question to ask which player could make him "great". Because he'll never be there, and asking why he's not there yet just sets us all up for disappointment and anger that Zach isn't more than he is.

Ed O.
it harkens back to my comment (a while ago) that he's an inbetween player. He's not going to be the best player on our next best player. He could be a player ON that team, but for it to be the tops, he won't be that player.

if he could accept that (that he's really better within the role he needs to play) he and the team would be much better off.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I wouldn't have any problem with Zbo if he would defend, rebound defensively and run the floor. I keep reading post about what a hard worker Zbo is in practice, working to improve his game, yet he hasn't improved his defensive rebounding, and he constantly gets beat down the floor while he is talking trash at the ref when he doesn't get a call. These are the types of things that gets the Blazers beat like a red headed step child every night, and yet, he hasn't done any work ot improve in those areas.

So in other words, pull the trigger on the Jermaine Oneal trade. :biggrin:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Ed O said:

Ed O.
Ed --

I rarely disagree with you, but I think you are incorrect here. Players can and do continue to improve in the league, especially if their games are not predicated on jumping ability (which does go down with age). Zach has shown a desire to improve, and he has been adding new tricks to his game (most recently, the willingness to pass the ball, and some skill in doing it). I don't think he is incapable of playing defense, for example.

The league is full of players who blossomed late. Work ethic and desire are the biggest determinants of this, and despite this dismal year, we have several players who have both. There is hope.

Zach is 25 years old this summer. That is *young* for a PF. Barring injury, his glory years are 3-7 years ahead of him even if he sticks to the trend line (and I think he'll do better). I don't think we can rule out substantial improvement in his game. Is he a future HOFer? No. But in 2-3 years I expect he'll start making the All-Star game.

iWatas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.