Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just wondering since the Wizards are not that deep even if it is as a result to injuries(see Peeler, Dixon, Jamison, and Blake and Thomas in the beginning of the year). However, one of my friends suggested that the Wizards were not deep enough and could just use one more guy that comes off the bench. Should the Wizards have given up anything for another extra player such as Gordan Giracek or Devin Brown especially before the trade deadline. The Wizards could have gotten Walter McCarty for a second round pick

Personally, I think it would be nice for the Wizards to add another player that would contribute to the rotation but it's doesn't seem likely that another team would jump in unless the Wizards readily gave up picks which I don't think the Wizards should do. For Grunfeld, for now anyways it seems a 2nd round pick can be gold. He picked Michael Redd in Milwakee and who knows, maybe even Peter John Ramos can be a solid player in the future. I think the Wizards shouldn't trade their youth for an experienced piece like they have done in past seasons.

Plus even Steve Blake is picking up some of the slack with 8.3 ppg in the last 12 games and he's shooting 72% from 3 in the last 5 games. Peeler should be good come playoff time. Jeffries has shown he can contribute. I don't like Hayes at this point of time but he can probably contribute in the near future as well.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
The Wizards had very little to offer to get veteran depth. We actually have a good amount of depth but injuries have been a problem. The fact that we can be competitive with all the injuries speaks for itself.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BCH said:
The Wizards had very little to offer to get veteran depth. We actually have a good amount of depth but injuries have been a problem. The fact that we can be competitive with all the injuries speaks for itself.
That's what I said to my friend. I told him there wasn't much the Wizards could do and they have solid role players or those that can become ones. I think he has discounted what Juan Dixon has done this year or what Steve Blake can do in future years to come.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
I'm not sold on us having quality depth. I think we have depth when healthy but very unsteady depth. I wish we had a couple more older type vets in their late 20's type guys maybe even 30 or so that can be a solid contributor on a regular basis.

I have said it and I'll continue to say it a player like Ruben Patterson to me would be a great fit for our team. He'd give us toughness and perimeter defense that we could expect every night.

I'd trade Hayes to get him in a heartbeat if they'd take him.

With Jamison in now Hayes and JJ are sf overkill. We could probably get a Julius Hodge type in the 2nd rd to play back-up 2 to Hughes next season so Hayes or JJ has to go. And since I like JJ's size better Hayes can go.

There's also the Dixon/Blake dilema. One has to go and for my money its Blake. Dixon is a steadier scorer and energy guy off the bench.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
julius hodge and steve blake won't be on the same team

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jazzy1 said:
I'm not sold on us having quality depth. I think we have depth when healthy but very unsteady depth. I wish we had a couple more older type vets in their late 20's type guys maybe even 30 or so that can be a solid contributor on a regular basis.

I have said it and I'll continue to say it a player like Ruben Patterson to me would be a great fit for our team. He'd give us toughness and perimeter defense that we could expect every night.

I'd trade Hayes to get him in a heartbeat if they'd take him.

With Jamison in now Hayes and JJ are sf overkill. We could probably get a Julius Hodge type in the 2nd rd to play back-up 2 to Hughes next season so Hayes or JJ has to go. And since I like JJ's size better Hayes can go.

There's also the Dixon/Blake dilema. One has to go and for my money its Blake. Dixon is a steadier scorer and energy guy off the bench.

Just my thoughts.
I know the the Wizards bench could be improved over next year but I doubt they could have done anything over the trade deadline (which I was asking). They really had nothing to offer except Jarvis Hayes. I think Hayes could become better, much like Jarred Jeffries did this year, so I don't think it would be smart to trade him now with his value so low.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wizards keep Blake and Dixon, both at the end of the bench if they are not asking for too much money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts