Votes: 0 0.0%
  • trade the pick

Votes: 5 41.7%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright y’all, I think the consensus when the trade was made was that when Shaq retires, this would be a lottery pick. Well, newsflash (no pun intended), DWade has turned into a magnificent player, and if Miami can find a half decent side-kick when Shaq and his 20 million dollar contract retire, Miami will still be in the top half of the east. That pick will never be better than the 18th overall selection, and it certainly won’t be top 20 for the next couple years. The only trade value that pick would have would be if we had a decent pick next year, and we wanted to trade up a few slots. We also won’t have much room for two first rounders in the next couple years. My opinion? Take the pick now, and make a decent addition to our bench.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'd wait with the pick until next year. That way we can trade it and raise our pick some for one of the strongest drafts. I don't think that we'll get someone worth while for our team in this years draft.

If we waited we'd get a chance to focus on improving our big men. That would mean a better season for Bynum and Brown as well as Mihm. We then can make a small signing or two. Those to signings could be Speedy Jackson and Laron Profit. Then we could go through the season and more likely get another lower playoff team's draft selection. Then we trade the Miami Heat's pick along with our own pick and Devean George or someone with trade value then and get the #1 Pick or something and land Greg Oden. Then we play Oden in David Robinson's spot in the twin towers, with Bynum playing the PF position or vice versa. I think that is what we should do.

Reactions: The One

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Laker Superstar 34 said:
I'd wait with the pick until next year. That way we can trade it and raise our pick some for one of the strongest drafts. I don't think that we'll get someone worth while for our team in this years draft.

If we waited we'd get a chance to focus on improving our big men. That would mean a better season for Bynum and Brown as well as Mihm. We then can make a small signing or two. Those to signings could be Speedy Jackson and Laron Profit. Then we could go through the season and more likely get another lower playoff team's draft selection. Then we trade the Miami Heat's pick along with our own pick and Devean George or someone with trade value then and get the #1 Pick or something and land Greg Oden. Then we play Oden in David Robinson's spot in the twin towers, with Bynum playing the PF position or vice versa. I think that is what we should do.

:|

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
The Management probably should not use the draft pick this year because it's not like they have the Spurs scouts that can turn any draft pick into gold. They shouldn't just hold on to it and do nothing because nobody knows when the next time Miami will miss the Playoffs so I say hold on to it and look to use it in a trade if possible and if Miami does miss the playoff before the Lakers can find a trade to put the draft pick in, then they should use the pick for their draft.

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
They should hold on to the pick until 2008 after they make their (big) free agent signings in 2007. If Mitch really thinks he can land some quailty players in 2007 then there is no need to pay a rookie when you don't have to.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Laker Freak said:
They should hold on to the pick until 2008 after they make their (big) free agent signings in 2007. If Mitch really thinks he can land some quailty players in 2007 then there is no need to pay a rookie when you don't have to.
I think that 2007 plan has been scratched because Kwame's contract is still pushing the Lakers limit in 2007.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But that's the thing. a 25-30 overall selection is not going to have much trade value. The only trade value that pick would have is if we wanted to move up a few slots (no more than 3-4) in the draft in the next couple years. I think if we can add a solid 3-4 year college player to our bench, we should do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.