Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bulls need a guy who can flat out shoot on the wings, score not a huge amount but 12-15 a night, defend multiple positions, move off the ball, play with a little energy and double back as a secondary handler/setup guy. From what I have seen, Jiri has been doing that exactly at Boston. And it looks like his fg% is pretty good as well. Jiri cant be had, but is there anyone, either in the NBA or in the upcoming draft that might be able to do that? Thats the question of the day

·
Registered
892 Posts
Agreed. What seems to go unnoticed about Welsh is that he's become the Celtics' best perimeter defender. I'd compare him favorably to Brent Barry though perhaps a little less athletic and not quite as adept a ball handler. But that's not to suggest those are weaknesses. They just happen to be a couple of Barry's real strengths. Given time Welsh may turn out to be even better than Barry some day.

As for his availability, Boston would probably be rather reluctant to give up a player of his ilk, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!
The Bulls need a guy who can flat out shoot on the wings, score not a huge amount but 12-15 a night, defend multiple positions, move off the ball, play with a little energy and double back as a secondary handler/setup guy. From what I have seen, Jiri has been doing that exactly at Boston. And it looks like his fg% is pretty good as well. Jiri cant be had, but is there anyone, either in the NBA or in the upcoming draft that might be able to do that? Thats the question of the day
In the draft, the two guys most like that could be Drejer and Josh Childress from Stanford. They can shoot by are not Peja like (but who is?) Whether these two guys could gives us that production next season is debateable.

In the NBA, Battier can shoot and defend well, but isn't the greatest ball handler. Dunleavy? Maybe. Diaw can't shoot that well. Tayshaun Prince fits your description, but I don't see Detroit trading him. Artest, well we had him.

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
I'd hate to say it, but Kirk Hinrich is very similar to this type of player offensively. Defensively he is solid, but obviously can't guard the wings. I was thinking the other day and besides Atlanta and Orlando I can not name one organization I would rather not control than the Bulls i.e. I'd rather be GM of any team than Chicago or Atlanta/Orlando. We just have logjams at positions. The same types of players and too much youth in our supposed future. It's just a mess, and I wouldn't be ready to scrap this rebuilding and go for Part 1010103204, but we might have 2.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
This works?

???????????????????????????

Chicago trades: SG Jamal Crawford (16.9 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 5.5 apg in 34.9 minutes)
SF Chris Jefferies (2.5 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 5.5 minutes)
Chicago receives: SF Jumaine Jones (1.8 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 0.7 apg in 9.5 minutes)
SG Jiri Welsch (8.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 25.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -9.1 ppg, +0.5 rpg, and -2.9 apg.

Boston trades: SF Jumaine Jones (1.8 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 0.7 apg in 9.5 minutes)
SG Jiri Welsch (8.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 25.1 minutes)
Boston receives: SG Jamal Crawford (16.9 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 5.5 apg in 34 games)
SF Chris Jefferies (2.5 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 12 games)
Change in team outlook: +9.1 ppg, -0.5 rpg, and +2.9 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
CBlizzy took the words right out of my mouth

Brent Barry is a more seasoned productive version who is availaable this summer

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>FJ_of _Rockaway</b>!
CBlizzy took the words right out of my mouth

Brent Barry is a more seasoned productive version who is availaable this summer
But the thing is he will never go back to a team that he referred to as Chicken ****. So he is pretty much off the list.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
If you try to draft one of these players, you are only going to exacerbate the current problem you have with inexperience, unseasoned players. The Bulls need a veteran, someone who's going to run the show in the fourth when Jamal and Kirk (to a lesser extent) may regress. Someone like Brent Barry or Rick Fox. Now, said players are a) getting old and b) likely remain with the current teams, so you should probably be looking for someone like Aaron McKie, George Lynch or maybe Raja Bell. Aim low, because you're not getting Peja, you're not getting Odom.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Jiri Welsch is EXACTLY the right kind of player for this team. Someone like him, Battier, or Eddie Robinson.

Problem is, we can't get him. :whoknows:

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts

But the thing is he will never go back to a team that he referred to as Chicken ****. So he is pretty much off the list.
Other than the Jersey, what is the same about the team?

He may come back given that the entire organization minus Reinsdorf is different.

·
Registered
892 Posts

Pippen said much worse things when he left. BTW, I hear Pax has BB high on his list of desirables. And he's not necessarily willing to wait until summer.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C Blizzy</b>!

Pippen said much worse things when he left. BTW, I hear Pax has BB high on his list of desirables. And he's not necessarily willing to wait until summer.
That is good news C Blizzy! We need another guard/wing player, badly! BB plays both ends of the court.

I would love to get C-unit a tast of moderate winning before the summer! They have never experienced that before.

Any idea of who or what this package may contain? Or just the fact that BB may be gotten before deadline?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Maybe this guy could fit, to certain extent, your description:

Strengths: Extremely athletic swingman, with great size, long arms and great explosiveness. His size and athleticism make him a very interesting prospect. This is a guy who has everything to be a star in Europe and a “player” in the NBA. He is playing his first season at a high level and has already earned an important role on a team with other young stars like Cabarkapa and Koljovic. He has great ball-handling ability for his size and he's a force offensively. He's unstoppable when he's on, because of his great arsenal of moves. He can penetrate with both hands, using his speed and crossover. And if you leave him space he can shoot in your face, off the dribble, with the pull-up jumper. He's pretty fearless about going inside, and has a great knack of finishing in traffic with acrobatic moves. He plays very aggressively and he wont hesitate to dunk on people. He can score a lot in spurts. His offensive game is complemented with nice passing skills, and court vision. He's basically a complete package on offense. The sky is the limit.

Weaknesses: His biggest problem is that he needs to learn how to use his skills. He is too aggressive with the ball, he looks to go 1 on 1 every time he touches the ball. He forces some shots and, more important, he lets the defense concentrate on him every time he has the ball because they know he will go 1 on 1. Defense is still an area for him to develop. He can be a effective defender, with his athletic abilities, but right now perhaps he is too confident he can stop every one and block every shot. He needs to gain poise.

Notes: Buducnost is a team in Europe with one of the better junior programs. Has emerged all of a sudden as a top NBA prospect. Where did he come from? It is extremely difficult to emerge in Yugoslavia. The talent is very thick, and in order to stand out a player must be very good, and it usually takes some time.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Re: What the bulls need is a Jiri Welsh type of player

Originally posted by <b>curry_52</b>!

Maybe this guy could fit, to certain extent, your description:

Strengths: Extremely athletic swingman, with great size, long arms and great explosiveness. His size and athleticism make him a very interesting prospect. This is a guy who has everything to be a star in Europe and a “player” in the NBA. He is playing his first season at a high level and has already earned an important role on a team with other young stars like Cabarkapa and Koljovic. He has great ball-handling ability for his size and he's a force offensively. He's unstoppable when he's on, because of his great arsenal of moves. He can penetrate with both hands, using his speed and crossover. And if you leave him space he can shoot in your face, off the dribble, with the pull-up jumper. He's pretty fearless about going inside, and has a great knack of finishing in traffic with acrobatic moves. He plays very aggressively and he wont hesitate to dunk on people. He can score a lot in spurts. His offensive game is complemented with nice passing skills, and court vision. He's basically a complete package on offense. The sky is the limit.

Weaknesses: His biggest problem is that he needs to learn how to use his skills. He is too aggressive with the ball, he looks to go 1 on 1 every time he touches the ball. He forces some shots and, more important, he lets the defense concentrate on him every time he has the ball because they know he will go 1 on 1. Defense is still an area for him to develop. He can be a effective defender, with his athletic abilities, but right now perhaps he is too confident he can stop every one and block every shot. He needs to gain poise.

Notes: Buducnost is a team in Europe with one of the better junior programs. Has emerged all of a sudden as a top NBA prospect. Where did he come from? It is extremely difficult to emerge in Yugoslavia. The talent is very thick, and in order to stand out a player must be very good, and it usually takes some time.
Curry, what guy is this? Buducnost is rumored to have 2 or 3 guys like this. They are sort of the Ajax of basketball, meaning the groom the young talent and teach them everything they know to succeed and then sell them to the big teams

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Sasha Pavlovic, from the Jazz.

:whoknows:

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by <b>curry_52</b>!
Sasha Pavlovic, from the Jazz.

:whoknows:
Alexander Pavlovic. I loved this guy last year. Buducnost has some other kids that will be nice pros over the next few years

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

Alexander Pavlovic. I loved this guy last year. Buducnost has some other kids that will be nice pros over the next few years
No way the Jazz part with him, right?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Right.

Jazz fans are serious when they say they wouldn't trade Pavlova and a first for Shawn Marion.

:rotf:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts