Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by the_truth
I don't even know what it stands for.
National Developmental Basketball League. Its kinda like a farm system the way baseball has but players dont get called up like that. Only like 5 or 6 players got signed to teams from the NBDL last year

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Re: Thanks

So its kinda like my idea about NBA2 right? Those players are kinda like amatures right?
Yeah but not really they had some players in there that were former player in the NBA. Some that didnt make it yet and vice-versa. I watched a couple of games and they were aiight

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
i'd say

its not as good as college basketball, but thats jsut an observation. Most of the players are juorneymen from Europe or undrafted players who had decent skills. Guys like Terry Dehere and Galen Young were in the NBA but didn't make teams so they play here, they are looked at as veterans in a 1 year league.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Re: So...

...do they ever show it on tv?
I know I caught it on ESPN a few times and proably even ESPN2 but that is where their games are broadcast during their season

·
Registered
924 Posts
Do you guys even pay attention to the NBA???They are always talking about the NBDL. LOL.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
The NBDL is a pretty good minor league system, but not necessarily the same type as MLB. I would like to see the commish let teams send 2nd round picks down to the NBDL if they feel like there isn't room on the roster or the player needs more work...

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by KC
The NBDL is a pretty good minor league system, but not necessarily the same type as MLB. I would like to see the commish let teams send 2nd round picks down to the NBDL if they feel like there isn't room on the roster or the player needs more work...
So would I! Hopefully, the NBA head honchos are thinking like that, too.

I watched a few of their games and I found some interesting prospects for the NBA. I think this is going to be good and might get expanded and even include something like you want, KC.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'd love to see the NBA turn the NBDL into a system like MLB. I think that each NBA club should have their own club with 10 players. Maybe have a 2 veteran max. This farm team would have the same offense so that when a player is called up he would know the system. This would help teams hold on to a second round pick a little longer and let him develop(like the Lakers cutting Cory Hightower after 1 training camp and spending two future 2nd rounders on him). I think the draft would also have to be extended at least 1 round. I also think this would stop the league wide stashing of players on the injured list with fake injuries.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
HB said:
Honestly are teams really paying attention to this league, AT ALL?
Yes, because some teams have affiliations with the D-League teams. Riley has said that sometime this year they're going to send Daequan Cook to the D-League fora 20-game stint.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
UD40 said:
Yes, because some teams have affiliations with the D-League teams. Riley has said that sometime this year they're going to send Daequan Cook to the D-League fora 20-game stint.
Actually, every team has an affiliation with D-League teams. The only unfortunate thing is that at the moment, because there are still fewer D-league teams than NBA teams, the D-League teams "share" NBA affiliations. So the Sioux Falls team receives players allocated from Minnesota and Charlotte; the Colorado team gets players from Denver, NJ and Toronto.

All this talk about there being virtually nobody to make the jump is pretty silly, though: there are 43 players in the NBA who have played in the D-League. And to say it's worse than college? Please...many of the D-League players were all-conference type players in college. They're guys who have legit pro potential, which is why anyone is bothering. The quality of play suffers mostly because the teams are totally overhauled every year. But the talent level is pretty good.

·
Registered
551 Posts
cmd34 said:
I'd love to see the NBA turn the NBDL into a system like MLB. I think that each NBA club should have their own club with 10 players. Maybe have a 2 veteran max. This farm team would have the same offense so that when a player is called up he would know the system. This would help teams hold on to a second round pick a little longer and let him develop(like the Lakers cutting Cory Hightower after 1 training camp and spending two future 2nd rounders on him). I think the draft would also have to be extended at least 1 round. I also think this would stop the league wide stashing of players on the injured list with fake injuries.

brilliant. couldnt be said more perfect.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
David Stern has said several times that it's his goal to do that. But there's the little thing of funding it. Not every NBA owner wants to own and operate another team (so far, I believe one does: the Lakers). I am sure, however, that every NBA team would like to control another team in order to stash players. It'll happen, but they're going to have to figure out the logistics and money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts