Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it's inevitable that based on the pre-season there is going to be rampant debate and speculation about lineups, minutes, position battles, etc. I just want to offer a few words of wisdom.

Let's not treat the pre-season (and each game in particular) as if it is the be-all end-all determinant of where the players will fit in to the teams plans. Yes, they are going to begin playing with more of a purpose (compared to the RMR) and the pre-season will better mirror real NBA games, but the stats won't tell the whole story.

Remeber that these guys are still young, still learning, and for the rookies in particular, there may be some real adjustment to playing under the bright lights of the NBA for the first time. The box scores might not look good, but if yu read between the lines, you may find some very encouraging aspects of their game.

So let's not jump on every turnover, missed defensive assignment, poor shooting performace, etc just yet. Give these guys a little flexibility, allow them to gel, and allow them to make mistakes in the beginning. What is most important is how they will respond to these mistakes.

There's no reason to go to the statbox every game to decide who played well. Instead, I think we should be watching the overall effect and impact players are having on the game regardless of whether or not shots fall. Personally, I am looking to see how JWill acts as a floor general and tempo-setter, how Tyson plays on the defensive end, and how Eddy's footwork and agressiveness on offense are. If I see encouraging signs from these guys even if they can't find the bucket, I'm going to feel pretty good going into the season.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The first STAT I go over is ....

Originally posted by <b>ChiBullsFan</b>!
I know that it's inevitable that based on the pre-season there is going to be rampant debate and speculation about lineups, minutes, position battles, etc. I just want to offer a few words of wisdom.

Let's not treat the pre-season (and each game in particular) as if it is the be-all end-all determinant of where the players will fit in to the teams plans. Yes, they are going to begin playing with more of a purpose (compared to the RMR) and the pre-season will better mirror real NBA games, but the stats won't tell the whole story.

Remeber that these guys are still young, still learning, and for the rookies in particular, there may be some real adjustment to playing under the bright lights of the NBA for the first time. The box scores might not look good, but if yu read between the lines, you may find some very encouraging aspects of their game.

So let's not jump on every turnover, missed defensive assignment, poor shooting performace, etc just yet. Give these guys a little flexibility, allow them to gel, and allow them to make mistakes in the beginning. What is most important is how they will respond to these mistakes.

There's no reason to go to the statbox every game to decide who played well. Instead, I think we should be watching the overall effect and impact players are having on the game regardless of whether or not shots fall. Personally, I am looking to see how JWill acts as a floor general and tempo-setter, how Tyson plays on the defensive end, and how Eddy's footwork and agressiveness on offense are. If I see encouraging signs from these guys even if they can't find the bucket, I'm going to feel pretty good going into the season.

....the one telling us about all the Bulls with injuries...THIS is NOT a good way to start out.:sour:

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChiBullsFan</b>!
There's no reason to go to the statbox every game to decide who played well. Instead, I think we should be watching the overall effect and impact players are having on the game regardless of whether or not shots fall. .
then why are you on another thread going on about how jay will is the point guard period ?

I cant be the only one who noticed that in the 2nd half run that turned the game in the bulls favor Crawford was on the floor for it not williams (JC and crew turned a 3 point deficit to i believe as high as a 10 point lead and it was 8 pts when williams got back in the game in the 4th quarter)

now i'm not going to act like a 10 min. spurt in the 2nd preseason game should be the deciding factor in a pt. guard battle that should last pretty much until 1 of these players in no longer on the team but i wouldn't have been so quick to give it to jay will in one thread while on this one preaching patience

the pre-season is a month long , i suggest you just enjoy it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts