Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cavaliers General Manager Danny Ferry has created a problem for himself.

It's what a fan would call a good problem, because it's the result of a very prudent decision.

Picking up Flip Murray at the trading deadline will be remembered as one of Ferry's best moves in his first year on the job. He has worked out so well, the fan base already is clamoring for Murray to be re-signed after the season.

With his play since coming to the Cavaliers and getting a starting job that he has thought for several years he deserved, Murray has merited a good contract. That has not only been noticed in Cleveland but also across the NBA. He probably will have several suitors.

Which brings up the aforementioned problem: The Cavs already have a starting shooting guard in Larry Hughes and already have more than $22 million invested in wing players Hughes, LeBron James, Damon Jones, Ira Newble, Sasha Pavlovic and Luke Jackson next season.

The Cavs also are likely to exceed the salary cap, which means they'll have just the two salary-cap exceptions -- what are known as the mid-level exception and the bi-annual exception -- to sign free agents such as Murray.

Because he's just on a one-year contract, the Cavs cannot exceed the salary cap to sign Murray; they must use one of their exceptions.

The mid-level is $5 million and can be broken into pieces, and the bi-annual is $1.7 million and must be used in one piece. Every other team in the league has the same ammunition.

Last summer, Murray was a restricted free agent with the Seattle SuperSonics and was unable to get an offer sheet that he liked. According to reports from Seattle, he rejected the Sonics' multiyear offer because it was too low. It was believed that the Sonics offered a five-year deal worth around $3 million per season -- about the same deal teammate Damien Wilkins signed.

Murray, however, was looking for a deal more like former Sonics teammate Antonio Daniels got from the Washington Wizards last summer, which was $30 million over five years. That nearly matches the maximum that the Cavs could offer with their full mid-level exception this summer.

Murray is seen as a hard worker who pours time into his game, works on the defensive end, for the most part, and, generally, is well-liked in the locker room. He is entering the prime of his career and delivers in the clutch, so it wouldn't be hard to make a case to give such a deal to him.

The Cavs, however, need help at point guard, and Murray might not want to settle for being a backup, especially if there are offers to be a starter elsewhere for the same money.

Ferry also must handle the dicey situation of forward Drew Gooden's restricted free agency, which would open up all sorts of options -- from letting him walk to keeping him, to signing and trading him for a point guard or something else.

There are several ways Ferry could go with Murray. The Cavs might consider the idea of starting Murray, Hughes and James with the thought that the three could share point-guard duties. Eric Snow and Jones would serve as backups.

Convincing Murray he will start could be a big part of the sales job.

The point is: The Murray contract situation will have plenty of intrigue this summer, and don't assume that he will want to come back even with how he has played.
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/14190905.htm

2,289 Posts
As much has Flip has been a hero to this town in the past month. I dont think the Cavaliers should re-sgin him. He is filling a void, which will be replaced by Larry Hughes in less than a few weeks. He will want big money, and i dont think he will want to come off the bench either. We will also need money for a PF either for Gooden or for a FA.

If he turned down 5yrs 30 million as a Sonic last year, his stock is rising more than anyone in the NBA. I think this was a one stop shop for Flip. Plus you can not have Snow and Jones off the bench, they would serve no purpose.

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,213 Posts
^He's filling a void, but it's a void we might frequently have with Hughes injury problems.

We need a very good backup 2 on the roster to fill in for Larry, and Flip is pretty much as good as you can get as a backup type.

I understand what your saying though. It's a tough call. If we can acquire our PG in the draft, and maybe a serviceable backup C with our 2 2nd rounders, then I would consider giving Flip a nice chunk of our midlevel.

·
Elite Member
15,150 Posts
Benedict_Boozer said:
I understand what your saying though. It's a tough call. If we can acquire our PG in the draft, and maybe a serviceable backup C with our 2 2nd rounders, then I would consider giving Flip a nice chunk of our midlevel.
I think Ferry will pretty much be forced to give him all of the MLE, for perhaps the max amount of years (it's still 5 max, I think).

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
LBJ to LJ for 3 said:
As much has Flip has been a hero to this town in the past month. I dont think the Cavaliers should re-sgin him. He is filling a void, which will be replaced by Larry Hughes in less than a few weeks. He will want big money, and i dont think he will want to come off the bench either. We will also need money for a PF either for Gooden or for a FA.

If he turned down 5yrs 30 million as a Sonic last year, his stock is rising more than anyone in the NBA. I think this was a one stop shop for Flip. Plus you can not have Snow and Jones off the bench, they would serve no purpose.
He didn't turn down 5yrs 30 million, he was looking for a contract of about that much. He turned down an offer of about 3 million a yr.

It really depends on what happens at the point. That is the most important fix that we need. If we can get a point as part of a sign and trade for Gooden, we might be able to do it. But we're still going to be in need of another big guy. It might be kinda tough to bring Flip back.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,231 Posts
I don't know if it would be fair for Flip at this stage of his career to ask him to be a backup in the prime of his career. I think it's just one of those situations where The Cavs are helping Flip right now and Flip is helping the Cavs. Obviously he's not as good as Larry Hughes. And obviously he's too good to sit on the bench at this stage of his career. If you get a legit point guard, you don't even really have to worry that much when Hughes goes down, as Pavlovic is servicable provided that our point guard situation is resolved.

We might be able to get a decent point in the draft at this point--though I'm of the opinion that this draft sucks. But I'm sure Ferry has done his scouting overseas, and there's like a couple guys who we've never heard of that he can bring over. One idea though, just throwing out there--remember that kid Toronto drafted from Spain that they didn't end up bringing over? He's like a 6-7 point guard? What about trading for his rights? Something shrewd like that.

I dunno. I'd like to think the guy who found Beno Udrih, Leandro Barbosa, and Tony Parker all in the final part of the first round, could find us a decent point in the draft in the middle of the first round.

I dunno, it's interesting. In a lot of ways flip is a microcasm for the drew situation. A really good player to have, but possibly something of a luxury.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't understand where this drafting a PG is coming from. If we do then we would have 3 PG's on our team including 2 who are getting paid large amounts of money. I believe that Jones has hit a slump this year but give him time in the offseason to regain his shot and he should be back to form for next season. Also, Snow has been our PG all season, obviously Ferry/Brown likes something they are seeing, I would be really suprised to see him leave.

As good as Flip has been, I think we should let him go his own way, unless he can agree to a small enough contract that fits into our budget. Our main concern in the next 2 years should be to leave enough money open to resign Lebron when that time comes. Secondly should be to either resign Gooden or find someone in FA or the draft to fill his void if we decide not to keep him

·
Premium Member
18,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Morongk22 said:
I don't understand where this drafting a PG is coming from. If we do then we would have 3 PG's on our team including 2 who are getting paid large amounts of money. I believe that Jones has hit a slump this year but give him time in the offseason to regain his shot and he should be back to form for next season. Also, Snow has been our PG all season, obviously Ferry/Brown likes something they are seeing, I would be really suprised to see him leave.

As good as Flip has been, I think we should let him go his own way, unless he can agree to a small enough contract that fits into our budget. Our main concern in the next 2 years should be to leave enough money open to resign Lebron when that time comes. Secondly should be to either resign Gooden or find someone in FA or the draft to fill his void if we decide not to keep him
We need another PG: hopefully we can dump either Snow or Jones but it is the position that has simply killed us in terms of both defense and offense.

I would be happy if we can get either Rondo or Williams

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,213 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
We need another PG: hopefully we can dump either Snow or Jones but it is the position that has simply killed us in terms of both defense and offense.

I would be happy if we can get either Rondo or Williams
Right we need to upgrade at PG, there is no other way to look at it honestly. We've been dominated by quick PG's all season. Snow is a good player to keep on the team, but as a backup at this point in his career.

We need a young PG to grow with Lebron. I want Rondo.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Benedict_Boozer said:
We need a young PG to grow with Lebron. I want Rondo.
As stated earlier the quick PGs have been killing you all year long, I believe I heard a few announcers point out that fact as well. If you want a defender, Rondo is going to give you lock down capability on the perimiter. A 6-1 athletic pure PG who can defend and rebound. The only downfall is he can not shoot.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
^ Every PG kills us, not even just the true athletic freaks but even the semi-quick guys give us major trouble. It's been the case for several years now.

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,213 Posts
CHKNWANG321 said:
Imagine if we traded up last year and got Chris Paul. that would've been amaaaaaazing
Lebron would average 33-35+ppg w/ ease, he creates all of his own offense and ALL of the teams offense by himself right now. Imagine someone else creating easy baskets for Lebron? wow.

The team could actually function when he sat! That's why we need to trade up, do what it takes to get Rondo. Get the longterm PG we need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.