Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying I have been a die hard Magic fan since 1991, the year right before we landed the daddy. I have to say we have been one of the luckiest and unluckies franchises in all of sports. My question to all the Magic fans out there would be, what was the worst thing to ever happen to the Magic?

1. Dicking around on Shaq's contract and not offering him a boat load of cash right off the bat.

2. Picking Hardaway instead of keeping Webber. I know what most people are thinking, Penny would have been great if he didn't get hurt. That is true he would have been great, but you also got to factor in how long each player has been effective in the league and most importantly would webber have been a better teammate then Penny? Penny was a talented anti-social loser, he didn't get along with anyone on the team.

3. Signing Bo Outlaw to a long term deal and letting Ben Wallace go to the Pistons. I understand why this one happened, no one knew Ben was going to be this good and the Magic also promised Bo money under the table the year before so he would sign cheap that year.

4. Trading Maggette and draft picks for salary cap reasons. Looking back at that trade I understand why the team did it. 2 max free agents!!

5. Signing Grant Hill, at the time of this deal It was a no brainer. Who would have known Hill would never be the same again.

6. Letting a hockey guy run the team. I still am puzzled by this move but atleast he drafted Howard instead of Okafor.

7. Being the only proteam in basketball to have duo gms. The track record of our GM's speaks for itself. They draft a player who doesnt even want to come to the states. Hire a coach no one else wants. Do not improve the team one bit over the summer. Also look at the track record of one of our GMs, i forget his name but he is the one that was the GM of the warriors. He is one of the worst GMs in the league, he wants to make sure he keeps his job, he takes the easy route out, doesnt take a chance in the draft, always drafts on skill now not on potential, he passed up on some serious talents just so he could take someone that was "proven".

8. Trading Mobley for a washed up push over.

9. Pretty much anyone they drafted except for the times it was a very high pick. IE no brainer type pick.

10. Not trading Franchise sooner, the team has to realize we will never be a complete team as long as he is here. He does not have the basketball IQ to ever lead a team anywhere.

11. Trading Billups and never giving the guy a shot, not too many people know he was once on the Magic. He never actually played though.

12. Leaving Zaza Paculia unprotected. Even during his rookie season I was screaming to the coach why not play the guy more. He always had talent as was a physical presence inside too bad our coaching staff never realized it.

13. Trading away Miller, although I understand why he did it. Miller was Tmac's best friend, you cant under estimate how much that means.

14. Signing Brian Hill instead of Flip, man I dont understand this one. I wish one day all the real facts would come out. From what I gather so far sounds like John Wisebor had all but given Flip the job but magic management wanted to go in another direction so John quit.

Im sure theres 100 more reason to list but I am getting a lil tired of typing maybe round 2 tommorrow.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
1. Shaq was leaving regardless. And I seem to remember it was something like a $10 million difference. $120M vs $110M. So whatever on that one. Maybe a sign and trade would have been better.
2. I would rather have Penny. Two guys that need the ball down low? And this was before CWebb turned into a jump-shooting wussy. Plus we got 3 1st round draft picks out of it I believe.
3. Outlaw vs Wallace. I remember watching just about every Magic game that year when we started them both with Armstrong. Those two couldn't score, but they redefined hustle. But when you make promised, you have to keep them. We didn't want a Joe Smith-type fiasco. And at the time, Outlaw was better. And we HAD to include Ben and Chucky go in that deal so Hill would get a max contract.
4. Maggette was too raw with the Magic. He had one move - go to the hoop. And with the looming free agency with Tmac and Hill, there didn't need to be a need for the three of them with pretty much similar games.
5. The Hill signing. I love it still, I don't care. It brings great PR to Orlando. But what I do have a problem with is that he got the max contract in a sign and trade instead of an outright FA signing where he would have received less money, and at the same time we would have retained Atkins and Wallace. He had been injured since the playoffs and nobody knew when he would be back. Couldn't management have used that towards their advantage somehow?
6. Mobley for Christie. Just idiotic. But I understand the need to separate Mobley and Francis. They had been playing forever and never learned to share the ball with another player besides the two of them. But the plan didn't work and Francis still hasn't learned to share with Howard. Then we cut Christie with the amnesty exception though his deal was going to be expired at the end of the year.
7. Drafts - Reece Gaines, Ryan Humphries, Hapring, Doleac, Omar Cook, Steven Hunter, and the worst of all Jeryl FRICKIN Sasser who didn't know how to dribble a basketball while running (I'm serious, he always looked down at the ball/ground on a fast break).
8. Billups - He's not that good. He wasn't back then. And he isn't now. I'll say it again. Billups is overrated. He's a shoot first point guard that just recently learned how to shoot the ball consistently well. There's a reason he's bounced around so many times - Boston, Orlando, Toronto, Denver, Minnesota and now Detroit.

But my first choice would have to be the Tmac trade. Yes he probably wouldn't have led us anywhere, but at least we could have pulled SOMETHING better than Francis and Cato. And now his value is just going to get worse when we try to move him.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
This one's pretty easy:

The worst thing that ever happened to the Magic was Shaq leaving.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think Shaq was leaving regardless. I know most people are going to say he wanted to be in LA do to the music/acting thing but I remember that summery they started off with a lowball offer. That low ball offer prolly pissed Shaq off somewhat, then once LA offered a deal it was over...

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I also remember either Dennis Scott or Nick Anderson saying sometihng along the lines of "Every day in practice, Shaq would say to us, see you guys next year when I'm with my new team."

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Losing Shaq, Ben Wallace and T-Mac. Imagine if we had Hill, Shaq, Ben Wallace and T-Mac. We would be the best team in the NBA hands down. Sure there's your whole salary cap in 3 of those players, but it would be great if it worked.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
X-Factor said:
Losing Shaq, Ben Wallace and T-Mac. Imagine if we had Hill, Shaq, Ben Wallace and T-Mac. We would be the best team in the NBA hands down. Sure there's your whole salary cap in 3 of those players, but it would be great if it worked.
There is no way the magic would have the cap room to get both Hill and McGrady if they had Shaq, considering the boat load of money he makes. And Ben Wallace was part of the sign and trade that got Grant Hill too!

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
X-Factor said:

Well hell, we nearly had Tmac, Hill, and Duncan in one summer. If it hadn't been for David Robinson breaking off his vacation to talk to Duncan, Duncan was ready to give it a go and Orlando was ready to see if there was any way to sign all 3. Of course Hill never got healthy, but even having Tmac and Duncan on the same team would have been just plain nasty ... and Mike Miller would have fit in better with Duncan.

I think the curse of the Shaquino is the worst thing to have happened to the Magic.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Maybe the meltdown against the Rockets in game one of the NBA finals of 1995? I thought the Magic might have taken that series. Younger, more athletic and that The Rockets really had no-one to contain Penny back in the day.

But I know the best thing.....

Dwight Howard.

Guy is nasty. Doing it damn easy. Once they clear the post for him and get more shooters on the team look out.

Spread the perimeter with some snipers, isolate Howard down low, feed him and the kid can cruise to 25/15 each game.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Good thread

several things

1 Shaq leaving.

2. Penny's injuries

3. Hill's injuries

4. The Magic managment's failure to see that they really had a franchise player in T-Mac

5. Still not moving Francis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts